SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Fixing things around here may as well be playing Whack A Mole!!!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fixing things around here may as well be playing Whack A Mole!!!! Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Get one thing fixed only to have something else break or a new project pop up!!!

The power hatch has not been working on my Wife's Highlander for awhile. I popped some Ballistol in it awhile ago and it kind of sort of started working again.
Got frustrated and a new motor is $700 so I just turned off the power option.
Wanting to sell it to get the wife something new so figure I would give it a go again by replacing the lift struts since they are only $25 and if that did not work get a junkyard motor. Well low and behold the $25 fix took care of it.

So it was time to take the baby gates down since the 2 year old can open them now anyway. So all the baby gates down around the house leaving me a bunch of holes in the walls where I had put anchors to hold the hardware so I patched the holes and one of the boys must have whipped open the bathroom door since there was a hole behind it.
Patched that too. Knocked that project off the list only to have the transfer motor go out on the truck.
Wonder what will break when I fix that.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My old man was a man of few words. When it came to home upkeep / repair, his comment was:
"If it aint one damn thing, its another".

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
quote:
"If it aint one damn thing, its another"

Aint that that the truth!!!!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
My old man was a man of few words. When it came to home upkeep / repair, his comment was:

This totally sums it up. Wise man, your dad was!

Posts: 794 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've found the universe requires a certain number of things to be nonfunctional at a given time and rejects attempts to have everything you interact with in proper repair at a time.

I've had the best success by picking my battles against the universe, in that when I have something minor broken and I don't fix it, the universe then doesn't find something different to break with anywhere near the same frequency.

I hate deliberately leaving things in a state of disrepair, but the anecdotal result I'm getting strongly suggests there must be a balance between broken and non broken things, and if you unbalance this, then additional things will break to restore that balance.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I refuse to comment as I don’t wish for anything to break.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Being semi-retired things are actually starting to get done. I think I sort of retired in ‘17. Just the other day I glimpsed one of our metal garage doors still had vise-grips holding a hinge joint together(conflict with a car). So I fixed it. I don’t remember how many years ago that happened. Coincidentally, I also don’t know how many pair of vise-grips I own. But two more are back in circulation! Yippeee!

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

That's the truth!

A week ago Sunday, future wife 2.0 (newer and much improved version) came up from the basement stating "The basement wall is leaking!" Went down to inspect, had to move several of her plastic totes to get a good look at the wall, sure enough there's water on the floor. After much inspection, find a small crack in an elbow of black drain pipe for the kitchen sink...

Her newly purchased vehicle (2 days before) was behind mine so I took her's to Home Depot. They don't carry black pipe anymore - need to run over to the next town to a different HD. Hop in her new car and - it starts, stumbles and dies. 3 times. Call her for a ride and explain that her brand new car isn't starting Eek (Dealer did take care of that the next day and was super apologetic. Turned out to be a bad mass air flow sensor).

Off to the next HD - and back, cut out an old section of pipe, replaced and waiting for the glue to cure I get to watch a little foot ball thinking OK that should do it for the day. A couple hours later run down to make sure the new pipe isn't leaking - good to go.

Walk into the furnace room - WTH, there's water on the floor between the water heater and the furnace. Vacuum that up, inspect the water heater - that all looks good to me, maybe it was the hose from the water softener... Come back down after dinner and there's more water on the floor. Pop the cover off the furnace and see a crack in the rubber hose coming from the exhaust fan. Off to HD again...

Thankfully they weren't expensive or difficult repairs, but that really wasn't what I was planning to do that Sunday.

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post