SIGforum
When Did They Start Making Scotch Whisky From Listerine?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/6770073664

February 07, 2020, 07:07 PM
V-Tail
When Did They Start Making Scotch Whisky From Listerine?
Scotch used to be my favorite drink. A friend went to Scotland on vacation and brought back a sampler pack for me. I swear, the one that I'm sipping right now reminds me of mouthwash.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
February 07, 2020, 07:24 PM
sandman76
I love good single malts. There is a pub in Denver that has an extensive array of whiskys. I was there one night and sitting with a guy that ordered a pour that cost like $125. He was generous enough to let the guys at the table take a sip. That stuff tasted like sea water with a dead fish floating in it.

February 07, 2020, 07:50 PM
oddball
I love single malt scotch, but scotches from Islay I can take or leave, very peaty for my tastes. 12 yo Macallans? You bet. Lagavulin? Not so much.

I'm guessing you had the peaty kind of scotch.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965
February 07, 2020, 08:29 PM
ArtieS
Funny, Islay is my favorite, followed by Highland.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.
February 07, 2020, 08:30 PM
ArtieS
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Scotch used to be my favorite drink. A friend went to Scotland on vacation and brought back a sampler pack for me. I swear, the one that I'm sipping right now reminds me of mouthwash.

Still and all, it's got to be better than that 1.5L $5.99 bottle of panther piss Bruno dropped on you.

That shit will peel paint.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.
February 07, 2020, 08:40 PM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
quote:
Still and all, it's got to be better than that 1.5L $5.99 bottle of panther piss Bruno dropped on you.

1.75L / $5.00. I told Martin to use it as a de-greaser.

You know it's bad when even Bruno won't drink it!

It's been sitting on the file cabinet for over a year now. Nobody will touch it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
February 07, 2020, 08:55 PM
Beancooker
quote:
quote:
quote:

1.75L / $5.00. I told Martin to use it as a de-greaser.

You know it's bad when even Bruno won't drink it!

It's been sitting on the file cabinet for over a year now. Nobody will touch it.

Send it my way. I’ll give it a whirl and let you all know if it’s paint thinner or safe for human consumption.
Like I tell my wife with her Korean foods, I’ll try anything twice.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread
February 07, 2020, 09:28 PM
ArtieS
It's best use is as fire starter...

February 07, 2020, 11:10 PM
smschulz
Definitely in the Peat Camp here.
Lagavulin 16 is at the top of the list.
I also enjoy those not as peaty (no blends please) and on the other side an Irish Whiskey is just fine too. Smile
February 08, 2020, 04:12 AM
C L Wilkins
quote:
It's best use is as fire starter...

Ah yes. Taste of iodine with a hint of brake fluid. Finishes with hints of being down wind from a burning tire dump in Mogadishu.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: C L Wilkins,
February 08, 2020, 08:38 AM
Pipe Smoker
It’s Irish for me. Similar to Scotch, but without the peaty medicinal taste. For both, the mash bill is exclusively barley and malted barley. Most Scotch is double distilled, all Irish is triple distilled.

Serious about crackers
February 08, 2020, 09:33 AM
Leemur
For the price IMO it’s impossible to beat Macallan 12 year sherry cask finished.
February 08, 2020, 12:36 PM
LimaCharlie
Islay single-malts are my favorites. Ardbeg Corryvreckan is my all time favorite scotch.

U.S. Army, Retired
February 08, 2020, 12:48 PM
MRMATT
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
For the price IMO it’s impossible to beat Macallan 12 year sherry cask finished.

This! Delicious.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.
February 09, 2020, 10:31 AM
mr kablammo
Glen Morangie, or Dewar's 12 Yr, or the Whistler Imperial Stout Cask Finish whiskey (only 3,000 bottles made), or Arran 10 Yr. Those are on the sweet side. The Islay style tastes better when the weather is nasty.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.
February 09, 2020, 10:53 PM
Leemur
https://www.wineglobe.com/prod...AphjkHBoCCGQQAvD_BwE

And this stuff is pretty freakin good too. Glenfiddich 18 year sherry cask conditioned.
February 10, 2020, 08:24 AM
joel9507
quote:

I was quite surprised when my distiller-hobbyist friend let me know that whiskey (whisky) is pretty much clear when it goes into the barrels. The color comes from the barrel.

So, I don't know if it will peel paint, but I do know it sucks color out of wood! Smile
February 10, 2020, 08:28 AM
RHINOWSO
Saying "I drank some scotch" is like saying "I drank some beer".

Good stuff is good, shitty stuff is shitty.
February 10, 2020, 09:24 AM
ArtieS
quote:
I was quite surprised when my distiller-hobbyist friend let me know that whiskey (whisky) is pretty much clear when it goes into the barrels. The color comes from the barrel.

That is absolutely true. And, to be scotch, it must age in the oak cask for a minimum of 3 years.

February 10, 2020, 05:12 PM
dewhorse
Hey don't bad mouth "wash" I knew a guy that swore by it....there again he drank furniture polish when he couldn't get "wash"