SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Does anyone appreciate silence and solitude any more?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone appreciate silence and solitude any more? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Or am I the only one.

I can't remember the last time I turned a radio on in a vehicle. I never have a TV or a radio running "just for the company".

I don't need to have people around. I can take a walk with my wife and just enjoy her company without saying a word.

I'm perfectly comfortable with my own company. I could cheerfully go an entire day without speaking or listening to another human being. In fact, it's sort of a dream of mine.

I think I need to find myself a nicely furnished cave somewhere. With internet access, of course...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I have a 5 month old and an almost-3yr-old.

FUCK YES I MISS SOLITUDE AND SILENCE.

I can't even get it when taking a dump. The 30 min drive to work is about it.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I can't even imagine, FEV.

I've got a 61 year old brother-in-law that lives with us that's about to drive me over the edge.

You have my sympathy for sure.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, yes I do.

I like sitting on the porch, listening to nothing.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I can't even imagine, FEV.

Hey, it's temporary! Only ~18-20 more years. Big Grin

Seems like you'll have a shorter stint with the BIL.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
I do.

My work truck averages 89.6 db all day...yes I use hearing protection.

3 year old and 6 year old, with no sense of volume.

Wife gets loud as hades over the kids.

I love me some quiet. Occasionally I'll just go to the garage, climb in my pickup, and double-plug.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
One of the reasons I love my motorcycle so much. Not silence, obviously, but solitude.

Alone with my thoughts and enjoying the scenery.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Irony or karma?

Wife decided that NOW was the perfect time to run the vacuum in the computer room...

posted Hide Post
I love silence and solitude

When I used to drive to Columbus, OH for drill weekend, I think I only had the radio on twice.

I drove from WY back to Richmond without the radio on and just enjoyed the scenery and silence.

It drives my girlfriend nuts.

Next week when I go back to work in LE, I will enjoy the silence even more after listening to the radio squawk for 12 hours.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
My wife and I generally spend 4-5 hours a day in silence just reading a book, surfing the net on our iPads or looking out the window.

Ain't retirement great.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
Wife and I often take our camp chairs back into the woods after supper and sit and listen to the silence and watch the sun set thru the trees.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3811 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I like quiet. I had lots of folks tell me, during my divorce, "get a radio and leave it on for company."
Um, no, I like the quiet, such as it is....
Sometimes at night I'll go out in the pasture and just sit and listen to my tinnitus. Smile

I don't understand people that need CONSTANT noise.

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wife decided that NOW was the perfect time to run the vacuum in the computer room...

Please don't get me started on the vacuum.
Ugh, my ears are already ringing.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
I like quiet. I had lots of folks tell me, during my divorce, "get a radio and leave it on for company."
Um, no, I like the quiet, such as it is....
Sometimes at night I'll go out in the pasture and just sit and listen to my tinnitus. Smile

I don't understand people that need CONSTANT noise.

Preach it brother!

Biggest thing I miss about not having sheep on the place is pulling up a stump and watching the lambs play. More than once I've literally fallen off the stump laughing at the little beggars.

As for the tinnitus, every once in a while mine will stop and it takes me several minutes to figure out what's wrong... Frown

posted Hide Post
quote:
Or am I the only one.

I can't remember the last time I turned a radio on in a vehicle. I never have a TV or a radio running "just for the company".

I don't need to have people around. I can take a walk with my wife and just enjoy her company without saying a word.

I'm perfectly comfortable with my own company. I could cheerfully go an entire day without speaking or listening to another human being. In fact, it's sort of a dream of mine.

I think I need to find myself a nicely furnished cave somewhere. With internet access, of course...

Not the only one. I need it and get it most of the time.
I don't own a TV so I don't worry about that at all. Most of the time it's just me and the dog. Teenage daughter that comes and goes. She doesn't bring people over because she knows.
GF knows every few weekends that I won't see her. I need time by myself and enjoy it immensely. Add in some quiet and I'm golden.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
There were times when I was single when I would leave work on Friday afternoon, and not utter a word until I was back to work on Monday morning. It was heavenly.

I know for a fact that spending time alone in the woods for extended periods saved my sanity during a particularly difficult stretch some years back.

We live in a relatively quiet spot now. I like hanging out with the horses because they don't say much, and when they do it's a pleasure rather than an annoyance.

Posts: 7342 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
People love hearing themselves talk.

Kids for some reason seem more uncomfortable with silence than I remember being. Lots of making noise just for the sake of making noise.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
My wife wants the TV on at all times when she's home. I turn it on maybe twice a month if I'm aware of something going on and I want to check the news. I can't remember the last time I turned the car radio on.

When I got my new hearing aids at Costco a few months ago, the audiologist programmed them so that if I press one of the mode selection buttons and hold it for three seconds, the hearing aids go into a standby-mute mode. The iPhone app that can control the hearing aids can put them into the standby-mute, as well.

Either method will deliver some of that golden silence.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I live alone, and other than the hum of the refrigerator, it's pretty dang quiet most of the time.

My turtle doesn't talk... much.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or am I the only one.

You are not the only one.
I prefer to read rather than watch TV or listen to the radio. I don't use the radio in my truck as I prefer the sound of the engine and the tire noise.
One of the greatest joys of hunting for me is the quiet of the woods.
I don't enjoy the discussion of inane BS that most people refer to as conversation. Quiet companionship is preferred.
I could go on but... you get the idea.

Posts: 747 | Location: Vermont | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post