SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Does anyone appreciate silence and solitude any more?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone appreciate silence and solitude any more? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by steelcityfishanddive:
My favorite time is the hour or hour n half in the early morning before anyone​ gets there.

Those hours of peace and quiet are critical to my sanity.

Yes especially the morning calm before the storm.

My fondest memories from growing up are being on the water before dawn heading out to go fishing. We'd go fishing and return before most people got up.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arflattop
posted Hide Post
Yes, I cherish it. My cat and I will sit on the deck and stare into the darkness when the weather permits. I love listening to the owls talk and the coyotes sing.

Miss Kitty warns me of possum and raccoon approaching our position.

JPFO Life Member

Posts: 1216 | Location: Heartland of KY | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When it is quiet at "camp" and it is winter you can hear the fire burning in the wood stove. That is very relaxing especially in the evening when the lights are off and you can watch the fire in the stove. PRICELESS!

Posts: 267 | Registered: January 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
One of the reasons I love my motorcycle so much. Not silence, obviously, but solitude.

Alone with my thoughts and enjoying the scenery.

Yes, love my M.C. and drives in the quiet country.
Most of my M.C. friends have Harleys. First thing they do is remove the mufflers and put loud pipes on, claiming it is for safety. Then they put in earplugs when riding in a group.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:

Yes, love my M.C. and drives in the quiet country.
Most of my M.C. friends have Harleys. First thing they do is remove the mufflers and put loud pipes on, claiming it is for safety. Then they put in earplugs when riding in a group.

Big Grin

But it's probably just as well if we don't have that conversation again... Roll Eyes

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
One of the reasons I love my motorcycle so much. Not silence, obviously, but solitude.

Alone with my thoughts and enjoying the scenery.
The first BMW motorcycle I ever saw was in the late 1950s. I saw it, I did not hear it. It went by in almost complete silence.

Some of their ads back then showed a BMW on a country road and stated that at 50 mph the loudest sound you could hear was the whisper of the front tire on the pavement.

My first BMW was a 1960 R50. It was really quiet.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
Yes.

My morning cup of coffee is invariably finished in utter silence and usually darkness. I live alone by choice - I'm not an introvert, I just like being able to dictate when and with whom I socialize.

Also a big part of the reason I enjoy elk hunting and fly fishing. Long walks by myself or with the dog, away from humanity, in beautiful country.

Solo motorcycle rides are another favorite pastime.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Looks like David Rockefeller left a nice plot of land to Maine. He passed away Monday at age 101.

One of America’s wealthiest individuals has decided to celebrate his 100th birthday in style by donating not money, but more than 1,000 acres of fields, forest, streams and a freshwater pond on Mount Desert Island to a local nonprofit organization.

Billionaire David Rockefeller will make a formal announcement Friday of his gift of Little Long Pond and surrounding land to the Land and Garden Preserve of Mount Desert Island.

The Land and Garden Preserve is a public charity governed by a 25-member board of directors. Its mission is “preserving, for public enjoyment, the aesthetic and spiritual heritage of certain horticultural and natural landscapes on Mount Desert Island.” The organization also cares for two gardens in nearby Northeast Harbor – the Asticou Azalea Garden and the Thuya Garden – and manages 140 acres of open space near Eliot Mountain.

Rockefeller, who has homes in Manhattan and Westchester County, New York, is an international banker and philanthropist. He has summered at his family home in Seal Harbor since he was a child. His parents purchased their first home in Seal Harbor in 1910.

“This magnificent state and its wonderful residents have been such an integral part of my family’s history. It is my hope that the public should forever benefit from this beloved tract of land. I am delighted to make this gift to all the people of Maine,” Rockefeller said in a statement.

Rockefeller was born June 12, 1915, the son of John D. Rockefeller Jr. and Abby Aldrich Rockefeller. He served as chairman and chief executive officer of Chase Manhattan Corporation for many years. The philanthropist, whose wife, Margaret, died in 1996, is the oldest living member of the Rockefeller family. He still owns a summer home in Seal Harbor, on Mount Desert Island, where he spends most of his holidays and the entire month of August, his family says.

Rockefeller’s daughter, Neva R. Goodwin, serves as president of the Land and Garden Preserve. She has a home in Seal Harbor. The Rockefellers had six children.

“My father’s generosity will ensure that Little Long Pond and the beautiful land and trails around it will always be open to public access for walking, hiking, horseback riding, and the other outdoor activities that are an important part of the allure of the beautiful state of Maine. What a grand and appropriate way for this wonderful man to celebrate his 100th birthday,” Goodwin said in a statement.

Under the agreement with the Land and Garden Preserve, the Rockefeller property which is situated between Northeast Harbor and Seal Harbor, will never be developed and will remain accessible to generations of islanders, Mainers, and the thousands of tourists who visit Acadia National Park each year.

Rockefeller’s property abuts Acadia National Park. Acadia National Park consists of more than 47,000 acres, including more than 30,000 acres on Mount Desert Island, 2,728 acres on Isle au Haut and 2,366 acres on the Schoodic Peninsula.

“It’s really a spectacular tract in every way. Its size and natural diversity make it so important to so many people on Mount Desert Island,” said David MacDonald, who serves as president and chief executive officer of the Friends of Acadia. “The walk around the pond is very beautiful. Many people start their day there.”

In winter, islanders can skate on the pond or snowshoe through the nearby fields and woods. The land features several hiking trails and carriage roads that extend from Acadia National Park into Rockefeller’s property. The carriage roads are maintained by Rockefeller’s crews.

MacDonald, who also serves on the Land and Garden Preserve’s board of directors, said that arrangement gives Rockefeller more flexibility in his management practices.

While pedestrians and equestrians are welcome on Rockefeller’s carriage roads, bicycles are not permitted on those roads. Bicycles are, however, allowed on the carriage roads inside Acadia National Park.

MacDonald said the land that Rockefeller is donating will be protected from development pressures. Not only would development go against the mission of the Land and Garden Preserve, but any type of development would violate terms of conservation easements that were placed on the property several years ago by Maine Coast Heritage Trust – an organization based in Topsham.

Rockefeller’s land donation stretches from the preserve’s land on Eliot Mountain eastward to Barr Hill and the Stanley Brook Road. It does not currently include the privately owned Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Garden, but that property may be donated to the preserve in the future.

Several Acadia hiking trails, including Asticou Ridge Trail, Harbor Brook Trail, and the Jordan Stream Path, extend into Rockefeller’s property.

A new trail that cuts across Rockefeller’s land in a west to east direction from Eliot Mountain should be ready to open this summer.

“Our message is there will be no change in uses or public access for the foreseeable future. People love the land the way it is and this makes it certain that it will remain that way,” Goodwin said.

http://www.pressherald.com/201...nds-of-acres-on-mdi/

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3/4 times a year, I take sometime to inspect our fence line.

I could do it in a day or two on the ATV.

I pack my backback, take a .22 rifle and a dog. I spend 4 or 5 days just listening to nothing.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Left a note to the wife once, telling her I was going to check the lobster pots. Came back 3 months later and she greets me at the door and says; "We don't have lobster pots!".

I sez; "Ayuh, your tellin' me! I been Down East three months... colder'n a witch's tit and not a pot with my name on it to be found anywhere!!!"

Then I said: "I'll see ya later, gonna go out for a pack a smokes..."

That was December of 2014.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I couldn't tell you how many times over the past fifteen years or so that I've fallen asleep imagining I was in the woods in my favorite spot with my rifle, all alone, listening to nothing and waiting for the deer that never comes.

The deer never does show up. Hasn't bothered me yet. It's the peace and calm that I seek.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post