SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Does anyone appreciate silence and solitude any more?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone appreciate silence and solitude any more? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
It's why I moved to the Yoop! Peace and quiet easily found.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Appreciate it with a passion. I love spending the whole evening sitting in my chair in the evening and reading, without a TV, radio or other noise box blaring.

Before I got married, I shared a house with a like-minded friend. We got along just fine and we could sit there all day and not say a word to each other.

Don't get me wrong: I love having the kids and grandkids over. But also love it when they go home. Razz

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6371 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I enjoy it as well.

Even on a solo road trip, I'll turn the radio off and just enjoy the silence to think to myself. Or I'll talk to myself and tell myself stories. LOL.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live for it! During the recent blizzard here in NE PA., the blizzard forced everything and everyone to a grinding halt. For about 24 hours nothing moved. Complete silence. I sat on our glassed-in porch, and just soaked it in. We should start an allied thread about fools that move to the country, and have flood lights on every corner of their house, and two pole lights burning all night long because they think it is a form of security! I can't even see the stars at night!

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2334 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I could go on for a couple of pages about citiots that move to the country and then bitch about everything about living in the country.

I've pitched my quota of bitches for today, but if somebody else starts it, I'll dang sure pitch in!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Does anyone appreciate silence and solitude any more?

"Yeeeeeeeesssssss...."

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
One of the reasons I like the forum. It's quiet here.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Does anyone appreciate silence and solitude any more?

"Yeeeeeeeesssssss...."

Big Grin

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
One of the reasons I like the forum. It's quiet here.

One of the reasons I like the internet: I'm surrounded by "people" but I can participate or not, as I damn please.

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Yes. It's one of the reasons I love diving. No one can yammer at me. Quiet. Only breathing and bubbles, maybe an engine, a whale singing, a dolphin clicking, etc. For a good hour, peace and serenity Smile

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^

Until you hear that cello intro...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
Hell Yes. Unfortunately right now I have a 6yo and a 9yo sitting here watching cartoons. Time to go to the barn.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kent j:
Hell Yes. Unfortunately right now I have a 6yo and a 9yo sitting here watching cartoons. Time to go to the barn.

Big Grin

I often find a previously unrealized need to do something important either in the barn or the shop. Haven't dusted my tools recently ya know...

Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Another vote for "Hell, YES."

I'm tied to an electronic leash 10-12 hours each day. Wife knows when I'm in overload mode and generally honors the "cone of silence." Most other don't get it, and wonder why I look/sound pissed off when they penetrate the cone.

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
I run fishing and diving charters on weekends and a slow day at the real job. My favorite time is the hour or hour n half in the early morning before anyone​ gets there. I get the boat ready and rig rods while the birds make noise and watch the sun come up.

Posts: 1312 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Fortunately, The Beautiful Girl gets it. She is quiet too. We just sold a place on 5 acres and are moving to a place on 24 acres, partially because it is quieter.

When she travels for business, I talk to the horses, because otherwise I wouldn't speak for days. I like quiet...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Irony or karma?

Wife decided that NOW was the perfect time to run the vacuum in the computer room...

My wife does the vacuuming at night...never can figure that out, do cleaning in the daytime when you can see better.

Yes, I appreciate silence and solitude also.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

We were fortunate to pick a nice location to retire to. Our lot is 1/2 mile off the highway, which is to the north. The prevailing wind is from the south, so the highway looks like a video game to us, with no sound. It is nicely quiet. Sitting on the front porch, the most noise we hear is the trains' whistles passing nearby, which cause all of the local coyotes to yowl, which in turn causes one of our dogs to howl back at the coyotes. Other than that, silence.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
^^^

Until you hear that cello intro...

Lol! No shark attacks yet, but I don't dive with great whites, either Wink

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steelcityfishanddive:
I run fishing and diving charters on weekends and a slow day at the real job. My favorite time is the hour or hour n half in the early morning before anyone​ gets there. I get the boat ready and rig rods while the birds make noise and watch the sun come up.

I get up at 5:00 or earlier. Wife is rarely up before 8:00 Those hours of peace and quiet are critical to my sanity.

In the Summer, I get more done before 9AM than I do the whole rest of the day.