SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    My pet peeve about gun discussions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My pet peeve about gun discussions Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I tend to see that happen most when the OP is clearly a rookie where the ammo/training advice makes more sense.

"I'm new to rifles, getting my first AR, should I get the Noveske with the US Optics 1-8X or the LaRue? My budget is $2500."

Offhand, I don't think I've seen that here with veteran members.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Someone asks a question about some accessory for their gun. Immediately some asshole has to pipe in that they would be better off buying ammo and training than changing anything besides OEM parts.

Yeah that is annoying, especially when the person giving the advice was bragging about new aftermarket parts they put on their firearm recently.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arlen:
My pet peeve is whenever someone is looking for some firearm or such and wants affordable, cheap, low cost. They are not wanting a quality firearm. They are wanting to buy a cheap price tag, and maybe have a firearm thrown in on the deal.
If a person cannot afford the hobby, then get out of the hobby.

You need to stow that shit. Not everybody can afford top of the line stuff for whatever hobby they choose so they get what they can.

Do you honestly believe people have no right to enjoy a hobby because of an income level?

This smacks of elitism and there are enough lefties dividing us as it is.

Posts: 465 | Location: Pell City, AL. U.S. | Registered: December 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
^^^ Yeah, no kidding.

So if I have a Raven and an SVI in the same safe, should I get out or stay? Confused

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I am interested in the pistol bayonet. Sounds intriguing. Surprised the media has not brought it to the forefront of discussion of things we must ban.

Big Grin

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
... some Thurston Howell II immediately responds...

It's Thurston Howell the III.....

Big Grin

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
A person can ask about a genre of firearm, ask for recommendations on all aspects of firearms and accoutrements, performance, quality, reliability, availability, dependability, construction, evolution, etc, WITHOUT MENTIONING COST. But the posts are always concerned about the cost. (Did I pay too much, hmm?)

Go figure.

Seems that I hit a nerve with quite a few price tag shoppers!

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arlen:
A person can ask about a genre of firearm, ask for recommendations on all aspects of firearms and accoutrements, performance, quality, reliability, availability, dependability, construction, evolution, etc, WITHOUT MENTIONING COST. But the posts are always concerned about the cost. (Did I pay too much, hmm?)

Go figure.

Seems that I hit a nerve with quite a few price tag shoppers!

How's the air up there? Wink

Look, not everything in life needs to be met with the "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" mindset. If you like to dance on people's nerves about it, well, you can be that guy. Smile

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
... some Thurston Howell II immediately responds...

It's Thurston Howell the III.....

Big Grin

Hey, he had a father...

Mrs. Howell - "Thurston, what on earth is that on your forehead?"
Mr. Howell - (wipes his brow) "It looks like water. I wonder where it came from."
Mrs. Howell - "Thurston, I know what it is. I used to see it on our gardener. It's perspiration."
Mr. Howell - "It is? What can I put it in? I've got to send it to Dad. He'd be fascinated."

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I think we found our problem children, yes Arlen it’s you. Lol

Specifically a guy asked about a metal mag release for a Glock. Would it hurt the frame? Did the asshole answer? Nope. Ammo and training. Fuck my life.

If a guy wants to spend 2500 bucks on an AR so what? He probably doesn’t have 4 kids and can probably go buy all the ammo he wants. It’s not an either or scenario to everybody.

If I ask for advice on the best whatzit regardless of price because I am in the market for top end whatzitry, I guarantee some asshole will respond with the ammo/training nonsense. It’s two separate issues. Buy a gun. Train with said gun. Two separate threads. Answer the guys question keep your holier than thou practice practice practice answer for the other thread when he asks about cheap ammo and best training methodology.

Wait for that second thread where he asks your opinion about ammo and training is all.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I am interested in the pistol bayonet. Sounds intriguing. Surprised the media has not brought it to the forefront of discussion of things we must ban.
That's because they have already come out against bayonet lugs .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
The thread is about "pet peeve about gun discussions". That would seem to invite a discussion about "pet peeve about gun discussion". Don't ya think?

Your pet peeve seems to be people who have the money for their hobbies.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
arlen, when you re read your post does it even make sense to you? What about my OP says anything, anything at all about whether you can afford a hobby? I clearly stated some guys like to tinker, some tinker and train, and some have no money woes so they buy whatever they want. What does that have to do with your statement at all? Are you drunk?

If your answer to someone who asks about buying a part for a gun doesn’t answer his question but instead tells him he would be better off buying ammo and training then you are an egocentric asshat full of self importance and bluster. Irrelevant if you have $$$ or not.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
The TITLE of the OP was what I was addressing. "Pet Peeve About Gun Discussion". To hell with whatever was said later.
Maybe it was one of those "leading" titles to get one to read it, such as "Who would have thought?". I took it that the thread was about "pet Peeves".
Well, Excuuuse Me!!

Regards,
arlen

======================
======================

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
My pet peeve is that far to often someone jumps into the discussion with criticism of some poster's response. Which then seems to go downhill rather quickly.

If someone wants to spend 2.5K for an AR, why is it anyone else's business? Not picking on anyone's responses here, just using that as an example.

A lot of people cannot afford to spend 1000s, and have to be satisfied with something in the "100s" range. I was recently in 1 of the few gun shops left around here. They have a rather large wall covered with ARs. From more than $3K (stripped) to mid $300s. The point is that similar guns can be had for thousands, and some for low 100s.

Few of us know the financial status of other members so I would think they would consider that when posting responses.

Not picking on anyone, just making a point.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes “My pet peeve about gun discussions” is a leading title. If you are brain dead. I’m about to start my second thread about pet peeves. Sheesh.

I guess I could have titled my thread “My pet peeve about gun discussions is that someone asks about something and instead of answering they contribute a trite you’d be better off spending your money on ammo and training, oh yea not everyone is made of money so don’t be elitist”. That’s a bit of a mouthful though. Lol

posted Hide Post
My biggest pet peeves come up in videos, not discussions. The first kind starts like this: "Just a quick video to show you how to avoid the "M1 thumb".

Now for openers, this clown has no experience, no base of knowledge, no nothing...but he thinks he should show you something? To start off with he pulls out an M1 he says he borrowed from his sisters' next door neighbor's,; 2nd cousins first husband, who use to be a SEAL!

The next kind of clown is the one that uses the wrong terminology for everything, you know, clips magazines, "furniture" "sites".

Last are the idiots that "demonstrate all sorts of "tactical" moves that just make them look stupid.
I'm a very calm man, but idiots just get my panties in a wad. When someone says or does something that they think makes them look cool, or in the know, they are just showing their ass.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by side_shot:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

My pet peeve about gun discussions is thread drift. BTW, love the bayonet!!!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love me some thread drift. Especially when pics are attached.

posted Hide Post
That photo settles it. I need a pistol bayonet!

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post