SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    My pet peeve about gun discussions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My pet peeve about gun discussions Login/Join 
posted
Someone asks a question about some accessory for their gun. Immediately some asshole has to pipe in that they would be better off buying ammo and training than changing anything besides OEM parts.

Some guys like to tinker, some guys train and tinker, some guys have tons of money and can buy all the ammo, training and parts that their heart desires.

Unless someone asks should they buy a gizmo or should they buy ammo, shut the fuck up.

You ain’t their mom and you don’t know best. I apologize for the rant but yet again someone asked about a replacement part and some asshole ignored the question, added nothing of worth on the subject, but insisted on reminding them that they would be better off buying ammo.

Ugh.

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Well, you know that guy that asks if a pistol bayonet is a wise purchase?

Posts: 5301 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed, it seems like good policy to let folks discuss what they want. Sometimes you'll come around to their way of thinking eventually if you don't outright condemn it.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
Sometimes you'll come around to their way of thinking eventually ....

What‽ Actually learn something from an Internet discussion?
That’s just crazy talk! Roll Eyes

Yes, that’s one of my pet peeves as well. If I feel compelled to say something that doesn’t address the question, I at least have the decency to act a little embarrassed and usually try to apologize.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
There are many that possess the wisdom of the world and know the true path to enlightenment. They are more than happy to educate us in the error of our ways. The trick is to let them babble then ignore them and do what you what. Listen to the people who actually answer your questions in a reasonable manner.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 715 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I am disappointed. I thought this was going to be a discussion about .45ACP vs. 9mm, and why .40 S&W is dead.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s next week V.

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I am disappointed. I thought this was going to be a discussion about .45ACP vs. 9mm, and why .40 S&W is dead.

That is immediately after the what oil is best thread.

I get the OP's gripe, but it is easy enough to skip the non-responsive answers. And once in a while, someone throws in an interesting, unexpected nugget.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
My favorite is when someone asks for advice about a particular firearm component, clearly saying up front they have a limited budget.

Within minutes, some Thurston Howell II immediately responds that they have to spend at least 3k+ on just a scope/barrel/whatever or it isn't a real gun...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am interested in the pistol bayonet. Sounds intriguing. Surprised the media has not brought it to the forefront of discussion of things we must ban.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
OK, I won't say anything about ill-chosen or poorly executed modifications screwing up a perfectly good gun. Nor will I say anything about making modifications (good or bad) before you've even shot it. You won't hear a word from me. Not a peep.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
My pet peeve is whenever someone is looking for some firearm or such and wants affordable, cheap, low cost. They are not wanting a quality firearm. They are wanting to buy a cheap price tag, and maybe have a firearm thrown in on the deal.
If a person cannot afford the hobby, then get out of the hobby.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
....and the wonderful thing about such topics is the some times entertainment value. You see, I has a mouse and know how to click it and skip it. For the mouse ninjas, it's a wireless and I don't care what you think Big Grin

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arlen:

My pet peeve is whenever someone is looking for some firearm or such and wants affordable, cheap, low cost. They are not wanting a quality firearm. They are wanting to buy a cheap price tag, and maybe have a firearm thrown in on the deal.
It is a hobby for many of us.

There are people who are not hobbyists, all they want is a serviceable self-protection gun, be it to defend their home, or to have in their vehicle. They do not need anything expensive, as long as it's safe and reliable.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I never thought of V-tail as a hi-point fan, but now I stand corrected.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was that you Lovey?

Posts: 1345 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRshootem:
....and the wonderful thing about such topics is the some times entertainment value. You see, I has a mouse and know how to click it and skip it. For the mouse ninjas, it's a wireless and I don't care what you think Big Grin

You’d be better off with a corded mouse for better dpi & responsiveness and adding more RAM than spending the difference going wireless.

Wink

OP: Yeah, I agree. That, “keep it factory,” and “carry the same ammo your local LEO carries” get pounded into Elmer’s Glue all too often. The only reason “just get a Glock 19” wasn’t dropped was because the thread was about a Glock.

Posts: 17056 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
It's the same everywhere. And usually it's from some kid (or some rookie).
I like to play with my toys and I like to talk about the way I'm playing.
Mention annealing and get fellows in an up roar !

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

So someone who can't afford the latest hi-test skis and boots should just not ski? There is nothing wrong with participating at whatever level you can afford.

Or, as V-Tail says, they need an affordable gun for defense.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not sure if serious.
Quality is relative, and even at perfectly fine levels doesn't necessarily have to be expensive.

However, if you just gotta spend the most so you can tell people you did, then that's OK too. Just don't be surprised if most folks don't care.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post