SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Losing pain tolerance with age?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Losing pain tolerance with age? Login/Join 
posted
Fell at work weeks ago and can't seem to get my back pain managed without strong meds and booze.

Had an epidural done on two locations today and seriously about jumped off the table.

Time to turn in my man card?

"You can take your pistol and stick it so far up your ass, the muzzle of it is visible when you cough."

Posts: 1248 | Registered: February 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't mix your pain meds and booze, liver killer.

The older you get, the more things hurt.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigforall:

Had an epidural done on two locations today and seriously about jumped off the table.

Time to turn in my man card?

Nope.

Having a needle poking around a pissed off nerve can hurt like a mother. Apparently they found the right spot though. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gustofer,

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have found pain tolerance decreases with age. Of course, I was pretty much a sissy when I was young, too.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Happens to us all. Therefore, we get to keep our man card. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am right there with the rest of you guys. I have found that pain really hurts me any more. lol

Posts: 796 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
You’re not losing tolerance. Stuff just hurts more....and more often. Smile

Words matter; in a similar situation, an old guy in my shop @ work was being teased by one of the younger guys about his prostate...
Conversation went like this:

Whipper snapper ...”Old men sure do pee a lot.”

Guy I’m beginning to resemble... “No, old men pee OFTEN..there’s a difference.”

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to get exasperated listening to my relatives complain about pain, ailments etc. or talk about the meds they were on. Now I’ve turned in to them.
Go out to dinner and the topic is colonoscopy.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1128 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I have fairly frequent colonoscopy and EGD's. I just make sure they start with the upper so I don't get a bad tasting scope!

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
My son (age 41) complains occasionaly about back pain. I have to remind him he isn't old yet and to just wait and he will be like me, regular chiropratic visits, pain management, etc. Don't turn in your man card. I think it is Mother Nature's way of reminding us we are getting old.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
No, you just have more things that hurt more.

Seriously, just the other day I did some work with my hands and gave myself a bunch of blisters. A bunch. Some broke already. Sheesh. Yeah, it hurt, but compared to all the other shit it was competing with for attention it was like 'yeah whatever'.

If I'd done that to my hands 30 years ago it would have been nigh traumatic.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not only is pain from the normal injuries associated with an active life a problem, just trying to recover from a bad cold is a bitch. Cold medication is limited because of conflicts with meds required for life from heart surgery. I have been trying to shake a bad cough/cold for 6 days.

Posts: 322 | Location: S/W Ohio | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Your body gets worn down. Now you know how your clunker of a car feels.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gaf:
Not only is pain from the normal injuries associated with an active life a problem, just trying to recover from a bad cold is a bitch. Cold medication is limited because of conflicts with meds required for life from heart surgery. I have been trying to shake a bad cough/cold for 6 days.

Not only does cold medicine conflict with some medications it can also screw with your prostate. Try taking Nyquil before going to sleep and trying to take an urgently needed pee in the morning, drip drip dribble.

BTW, you have my sympathy. I got hit with the Flu the week before Thanksgiving and here it is a month later and my resting heart rate is bouncing between 46 and 60. BTW, I do a lot of cardio mixed in with a bit of weight training in an effort to stave off the loss of muscle mass for as long as possible. As a result my normal resting HR is usually between 42 and 48.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I'm losing bullshit tolerance in addition to cold tolerance, heat tolerance and pain tolerance.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I'm losing bullshit tolerance in addition to cold tolerance, heat tolerance and pain tolerance.

Hahahahhaha! Big Grin

Posts: 5134 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man card is bent and wrinkled just like getting older!

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back. Al Swearengen

quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

Absolutely. The older I get the harder it is to stifle myself when hearing BS, especially political correctness related BS.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
when I wake up in the morning, I lie in bed taking inventory of all the parts that are going to hurt today

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post