SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    This Brutal COLD The Northeast Is Locked Into...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This Brutal COLD The Northeast Is Locked Into... Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
...SUCKS ASS Mad

I was not ready to go from 40's and 50's to single digits like this for such an extended time.

I'm blowing through the heating oil at about 2- 3 times the rate I had calculated I would be, poor furnace hasn't stopped running in days.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Houston's in the high 20s - mid 30s.
Much different from the 'shorts for Christmas' we had the last 2 years.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Werd.

And of course, THIS is the year that I decided I was done messing with the wood stove.

Gah.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Northeast? What about the South. 5 Degrees yesterday am high was 18. 3 this morning but it is now a balmy 21 in the shade.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4250 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
I've got a heat pump, which is fine but I think the aux heating elements are a bit under sized for 1°F weather.

My biggest problem is that the assholes that had the house before me ran some pipes in an outside wall and some pex through the attic. Roll Eyes

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
Northeast? What about the South. 5 Degrees yesterday am high was 18. 3 this morning but it is now a balmy 21 in the shade.

Hey, don't forget the Midwest! Early Monday the low was -21 in Davenport. No, that's not windchill. That was ACTUAL temperature!

It has not been above freezing since Dec 22, looks like a heat wave (above zero) is on the way:

http://www.kwqc.com/content/misc/417804673.html

I grew up near Syracuse NY, so this weather brings back memories - painful ones - of my childhood. That was in the BS (before snowblowers) era. Smile

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Water mains are popping around here like wack a mole.

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
We had a house fire yesterday that was caused by someone trying to thaw pipes.

Next week is supposed to warm up to the mid 40s, not sure how long it will last though.

Posts: 6337 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although the temps are colder in the North, the temperature variations are much more extreme in the South. Hang in there - only a few months left of winter !!!

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We've been on the road for 4 days from Montana. We're in Nashville tonight and it's a balmy 25. Kansas City was 0 this morning and Kalispell Montana was about 10 on Saturday when we left with about 2' of snow at our place. I had to spend an hour on the tractor blowing snow to even get out of our drive.

I dislike winter

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Today it warmed up to 28°, about noon, however, thar was shortlived.

Last winter was pretty mild, this one is making up for it. Thankfully, there is no snow or ice to contend with..yet.

We have a heat pump, and the electric backup has been working a lot. Today our local electric dept sent a message out, asking consumers to cut back on useage from 7-10 pm and 7-10 am, as the supply is having a hard time keeping with the demand.

I am tired of thick jackets, bringing dogs in and out nights and mornings, dry skin (even running a humidifier), cabin fever spouse, etc.

Jan...Feb...March....geesh

This is a terrible cold snap.

The Only creatures happy with this cold are my 3 Siberian Huskies, Tank, Shadow, Trixie.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Currently 14 here in the Yoop. Amazing heat wave since we have been below 10 for several days.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Werd.

And of course, THIS is the year that I decided I was done messing with the wood stove.

Gah.

Saw they predict 24 inches for your state, best get the tractor fueled and warmed up

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Must be due to the global warming! Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Utah here. Been going outside in short sleeves for limited periods of time, like to do a little welding. Can't complain, it's nice.

A freight broker asked if I wanted to run some freight to Iowa. No thanks, I'll stay right here. Perhaps a nice LA or Phoenix load. I'm in no mood for what you guys are suffering thru.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
All I can say is I'm damn glad I spent all that time and effort adding insulation to the attic two years ago! And the expense of having three of the basement windows replaced with glass block this last fall.

And all the other energy improvements we've done over the years.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Double digit sub zero windchills predicted for Friday, 1/5/18.
Schools may be closed.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Werd.

Gah.

Saw they predict 24 inches for your state, best get the tractor fueled and warmed up

Meh. They're all over the place, anything from 3" to 16" depending on which Drama Queen is doing the weather.

Storms have a tendency to go out to sea when they get this far into the Northeast. About the only way to get any dependable weather information is to look out the window.

Tractor is fueled and plugged in tho, all I'll have to do is hit the remote to turn the block heater on if needed.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
There must be some serious freaking out in Florida. Saw a report showing frozen swimming pools.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
It's funny, yesterday accuweather was saying 1-3" for our area. But when you turn on the news station they're basically saying "SUPER MEGA DEATH STORM 2018"

Who knows what we'll actually get.

Posts: 6337 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post