SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    This Brutal COLD The Northeast Is Locked Into...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This Brutal COLD The Northeast Is Locked Into... Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
LIght Snow in Tallahassee, parts of I-10 Shut down.

OMG Snow in FL!

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
40 years ago we just used to call it winter. Roll Eyes

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I've got about 150 gallons of fuel oil left in my 2 tanks by my calculations doing the dipstick measurement thing and not relying on the gauge.

Just called to 3 different local oil companies to try and get 200 gallons in the next couple of days and was basically laughed at by all three. They are like 2 weeks out at this point, FML. The one lady told me she's never see anything like this in 9 years at the company, they are out from early morning to late at night delivering oil.

I'm missing my nice NG heating setup at the old house already. Frown

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
It was -2° at 6:00AM.

It's 32° and climbing at 1:00PM.

30's and snow tomorrow, back in the terlit by the weekend.

Sigh.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I've got about 150 gallons of fuel oil left in my 2 tanks by my calculations doing the dipstick measurement thing and not relying on the gauge.

Just called to 3 different local oil companies to try and get 200 gallons in the next couple of days and was basically laughed at by all three. They are like 2 weeks out at this point, FML. The one lady told me she's never see anything like this in 9 years at the company, they are out from early morning to late at night delivering oil.

In an emergency, can't mix the fuel oil with Diesel fuel?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

In an emergency, can't mix the fuel oil with Diesel fuel?

I will go get some diesel if I have to, it's basically a more pure form of heating oil with yellow dye instead of red. It's just that it's a dollar more a gallon than heating oil around here, but for emergency use until this Arctic cold snap ends, it may be what I have to do.

There are a couple of oil companies around that have pump-your-own heating oil too which I'll go check out.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't understand when it is sub zero, why people decide that is the time to see what the country side looks like.

Run out of gas, over heat, flat tires, exhaust falls off, rinse and repeat.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Thankfully I have plenty of split, seasoned firewood, but I've been burning it at an alarming rate for this time of the year. Fortunately the stove alone keeps the house toasty warm.

Few more days of really cold and wind. Here's why.

‘Bomb cyclone’ to blast East Coast before polar vortex uncorks tremendous cold late this week

https://www.washingtonpost.com...cold-late-this-week/

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
Thankfully I have plenty of split, seasoned firewood, but I've been burning it at an alarming rate for this time of the year. Fortunately the stove alone keeps the house toasty warm.

Few more days of really cold and wind. Here's why.

‘Bomb cyclone’ to blast East Coast before polar vortex uncorks tremendous cold late this week

https://www.washingtonpost.com...cold-late-this-week/

Yeah, we have plenty of dry wood cut, split and stacked. By my calculations we have about 11-12 cords which should do us very nicely. Most of it is hardwood, too.

Got about 4 cords out back that came from a couple of dead standing Oak trees. Cut and split. Tomorrow I better go throw some tarps over it. The normal stacks are covered.

We have a heat pump back up system, and if that fails, or the electricity goes out, then I have a generator in the shed which will keep the stove in the family room blowers running. Also have one of those kerosene heaters that looks and sound like a jet engine. Throws out a hell of a lot of heat. That would be my last fall back position.

Good luck to all the folks here on the forum. Hunker down, stay warm and ride it out. Can't last forever, or that is what somebody once said.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found this temp map;

http://www.intellicast.com/Loc...014&layers=0055,0120

It's 7:15am here in Nashville. The sun came out & temp has dropped from 15 @ 4am to 10 degrees now according to my outside thermometer!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
The predictions of a coating to one inch for our area have now climbed to 3-6". It's going to be a fun ride home.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Super Mega Death Storm 2018 has been mild so far. Maybe an inch or two accumulation. If it's 12" over 12 hours it really won't be that significant.

Posts: 6339 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
We had a house fire last night when someone was trying to make a cup fire next to the couch.

Don't know why the FD wanted us there but they called and we showed up and left when there was nothing for us to do.

It's just winter. It looks like I might have to put my coat on tonight when I go to work.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lcbjr77
posted Hide Post
We have had 8 days straight below freezing, and today we have a snow storm. I dropped my daughter off at school yesterday, in the morning it was 8degrees.... Afternoon Temps were in the mid 20s and it felt warm... I may wear a tank top when Temps get in the 40-50s

----------------------------------
Walther PPS M2

Posts: 1863 | Location: CT | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
There must be some serious freaking out in Florida. Saw a report showing frozen swimming pools.
Forecast in our area, north side of Orlando, is 31 F tonight.

First time in four years that it will be below freezing.

Gotta bring those brass monkeys in from the back porch.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Winter is here.

Last few days have been a variation of
-20 F, -30 something windchill at night.

Even my f-ing direwolves won’t go out.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
40 years ago we just used to call it winter. Roll Eyes

True, but it is one of the more severe winters we've had in a while.

quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
Thankfully I have plenty of split, seasoned firewood, ...

Yeah, we have plenty of dry wood cut, split and stacked.

We have plenty of wood, too. Only problem is we haven't used the wood stove in so long I'd be a bit ambivalent about doing so. We meant to have our chimney guy by this fall, but it fell through the cracks.

It should be ok, but still...

Reason we hardly use it is it's too big for the room. Thus it takes nearly constant maintenance to keep it hot enough to avoid excess creosote buildup in the chimney, but not so hot it burns through wood like there's no tomorrow and makes the room so hot you have to wear shorts and a tee-shirt.

Really should replace it with a stove about 2/3 to half its size.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Storm is starting to ramp up now. It's dropped about 2-3" in the last hour, on top of the probably 2-3" that it dropped before that.

Posts: 6339 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
Northeast? What about the South. 5 Degrees yesterday am high was 18. 3 this morning but it is now a balmy 21 in the shade.

21 degrees is t-shirt weather in New England. On the other hand, try Chicago, Michigan, Wisconsin and the Dakotas if you want to complain about the cold. Razz Wink

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
LIght Snow in Tallahassee, parts of I-10 Shut down.

OMG Snow in FL!

Well, there's a natural disaster ... Big Grin

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post