SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Still researching batteries and your battery needs replaced!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Still researching batteries and your battery needs replaced! Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Used to be a big fan of Northstar X2 Power vehicle batteries. Big money but big power, AGM, and a cranking/cycling battery.
Well all good things come to an end. Of course Northstar got bought out and seems folks have had lots of issues. Then Batteries Plus requires a 3 day load test to see if the battery is bad. They give you a loaner but if they deem your battery good you have to pay full price for the loaner.

So I have been researching batteries just not come to a conclusion yet.

Had my truck in for an alignment and they hook the battery up to a maintainer/tester while they are working on it.

Well they called to say my battery is on its last leg. Considering it is factory in a 2014 truck with 83k miles now not too bad.
So, they are going to toss in a NAPA Legend for $100. Beats coming out to a dead battery in the near future.
Once I figure out what to get then I’ll use the NAPA to power my gate opener.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Battery prices are crazy high!

I need a new battery for my 1999 Chevy S-10 pickup (I bought it new, still have it, not a daily driver, usually once every other month trip to the big box lumber and hardware store, or the garden center cheap to insure).

All the local nationally known auto parts stores want around $159 plus tax for a good decent battery, or they will sell me the 12 month battery which is only good enough to get a vehicle sold right away for $110 plus tax.

I called NAPA and can get their mid-grade battery, which has a very good warranty, for $139 plus tax. I think they said it's the Legend battery.

I'll get AAA to get it started so I can move it and I'll get their price on a replacement battery, installed.

I'm probably sounding like an old fart, but it wasn't even 7 or 8 years ago when you could get a really good battery for $59 to $69.

Prices in the last few years have pretty much tripled.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
If you are a Costco member their Interstate battery for your truck is $79.

NAPA has 3 levels for f legend batteries:
Professional
Premium
AGM

————————————————

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I bought my NorthStar from an Interstate dealer (Interstate trucks on one side of the building, retail sales on the other.

When the NorthStar gave up the ghost, I bought an Interstate AGM. Works great and so far lasting a long time.

As an FYSA, the Navy Aviation (NAVAIR) replaced Sealed Lead Acid Batteries (SLABs) every 24 months. Not sure if this has changed since 2005 but, SLABs do have a finite and calculatable lifespan.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Optima makes top notch batteries, down here in the FL heat, 3 to 4 years is good... I just buy the medium grade battery at Y'all Mart, they put it in, not expensive, and in 3-4 years, get a new one...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Optima makes top notch batteries, down here in the FL heat, 3 to 4 years is good... I just buy the medium grade battery at Y'all Mart, they put it in, not expensive, and in 3-4 years, get a new one...

Yep. This is the route I’ve adopted after years of buying the high dollar options. So far I figure I’m money ahead.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
quote:

Yep. This is the route I’ve adopted after years of buying the high dollar options. So far I figure I’m money ahead.

Pretty much what I do also, but I put it in myself.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
If you are a Costco member their Interstate battery for your truck is $79.

NAPA has 3 levels for f legend batteries:
Professional
Premium
AGM

I am a user of Costco's Interstate batteries.

Just be aware that Costco's Interstate batteries are spec'd especially for Costco. Which, since Costco warrants the battery directly, isn't much of a turnoff. However, they are spec'd lower than typical Interstate batteries if I understand correctly.

The Costco Interstate batteries only last about 3 years in my experience. For the price, it works out OK, as I'd rather have a fresh battery every three years for $80 than spend $150 for a battery that "might" last 5.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:

Optima has a good warranty nothing more.
I went through 6 in 3 years on my Mustang. Went back to a Motorcraft and had zero issues.

Though for the truck I’d like a bigger better battery as I have a few added accessories on the truck for off-roading.

————————————————

Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
I bought a NAPA AGM battery, charged it fully and put it in. I have had no issues. It got good reviews and was a good bargain. The only thing with an AGM battery is that you need to make sure the alternator is putting out enough to keep it charged. They require a little more.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I've had success with the WalMart MAXX battery. At present one in my daily driver Jeep and one in my 67 Pontiac.

I use a Battery Tender on the Pontiac whenever it's parked but regardless the previous MAXX lasted nine years.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Johnson Controls supplies Wmart batteries.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I deal with A LOT of batteries in all of the yachts I manage. Lifeline AGM are the clear winner as far as longevity, they weigh a lot more than other batteries their size. I did have a set of 2013 6 Northstar AGMS last a long time on an inverter bank and stern thruster bank, almost 6 years. Odyssey last a little longer than the others. But I haven't seen any difference in longevity between DEKA, Interstate, Optima, and other AGM's. In South Florida and hot engine rooms.

I did put a set of Northstar Gold AGM's in a center console and one was bad right out of the gate. Went from 12.5 volts right to 6.5 volts when hit with a load tester and had to take it back. So far the replacement and others are still ok, but it's been less than a year.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I bought an Optima red top about 7 years ago. Still works great.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post