SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Tired of members posting links, pictures, etc. that require membership logons. :(
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tired of members posting links, pictures, etc. that require membership logons. :( Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
Come on people! Just because you're a member of some site and want to link or embed something here to share from there doesn't mean that we'll be able to see it if that site requires membership.

WAKE UP DAMNIT!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yup, annoying.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Amen!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I agree 100%.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Especially links to Facebook. Not everyone belongs.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure what you mean, do I do this ? w/o knowing what I am doing?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Not sure what you mean, do I do this ? w/o knowing what I am doing?

Don't know, bendable, but I can give you a couple of specific examples so you know what to look for:

1) If you (generic you, not bendable specifically) are on facebook, and post a link to a facebook resource, you will always see the information. I am not on facebook, so I may or may not see it, depending on if it's tagged as public or whatever.

2) If you have a subscription to a newspaper and post a link to an article in said paper, I probably won't see it as I don't have a subscription. Again, depends on how the article is tagged.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Add one more:

If you have an image that has extra characters after the normal jpg, png, etc. extension, it will only show as this to everyone else.Frown

An example: "format=jpg&name=small"

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Add one more:

If you have an image that has extra characters after the normal jpg, png, etc. extension, it will only show as this to everyone else.Frown

An example: "format=jpg&name=small"

This x 1000. If you're going to post in a thread specifically intended for pictures, memes, gifs, or similar, have the decency to do so with things we can all see without having to leave SigForum to do so. Thank you!

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I've been really tempted to send e-mails to the offenders about this kind of thing but that would be being a DICK and I don't want to be that guy. Frown

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've been really tempted to send e-mails to the offenders about this kind of thing but that would be being a DICK and I don't want to be that guy. Frown

I think if you make it a teaching moment email, it will be well received.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2828 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I just disregard them.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Damn it! It happened again in the Political meme thread. Frown

I am NOT a member of Northwest Firearms forum to be able to see the image. Grrrr

Gesh Louise! Frown Frown Frown Frown Frown

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Sorry gents, didn't have any way to know of the glitch. Since I'm not on FB have no idea what that source is about.

re: " really tempted to send e-mails to the offenders about this kind of thing but that would be being a DICK and I don't want to be that guy" I can appreciate someone not wanting to be a BALD dick, so I'll do what I can do to assist.

I can delete the frustration of the missing image, or maybe send it to someone who can do something to make it work.

What's the solution?

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
What's the solution?
I can appreciate someone not wanting to be a BALD dick, so I'll do what I can do to assist.

quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:
quote:

I think if you make it a teaching moment email, it will be well received.

Well I tried. Frown

As said in my followup email to you signewt:
"There are easy ways to copy that image from your membership site and then post it to a Sigforum thread. Check out Greenshot as an example which uses imgur to handle images that can be posted and seen by all."
There are many other options as well.

ADDENDUM:
signewt opted to simply delete the post

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

USN (RET), COTEP #192

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Is that what's going on in THIS thread?

When I open it in Firefox it's fine.
When I open it in Safari I get this screen and it locks up the browser.

I think this happened the other day in another thread. Is someone trying to host their avatar off somewhere they shouldn't be?

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Is that what's going on in THIS thread?

When I open it in Firefox it's fine.
When I open it in Safari I get this screen and it locks up
I've been getting that too, for the past few days.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Anyone able to analyze the page source information for that thread?

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The page/thread opens in Safari just fine for me. colt_saa's avatar shows as a blue box is all (unable to display image). When I right-click on the blue box and choose "Open Image in a New Tab", I get that calzaretta login screen thing. It appears his avatar is hosted somewhere that requires a login to view.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post