SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Kid’s selling crap all the time
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kid’s selling crap all the time Login/Join 
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Cub Scout den leader, Pack Treasurer and Popcorn kernel here. My 2 boys sold a combined $3,900 in popcorn this year. We live in a rural area where the lots are generally from 2 - 10 acres. Selling door to door isn't really an option. We sometimes setup outside a grocery store or Cabela's, but the stores cancelled it this year. I had to get creative this year and we sold "roadside". I setup a table with signage at the entrance to my neighborhood. I also have a friend (former den leader) who lives on a 2 lane highway with a decent amount of traffic. We sold outside of his driveway 5 or 6 times, averaging about $400 - $600 in sales per 2 hour shift.

My biggest gripe this year is the lack of involvement...and I blame the parents. Each year only about 40% of our Pack sells popcorn. About 45 kids total in the Pack, so maybe 15 - 20 kids sell. This year we had exactly 5 Scouts sell a total of $7,500. My 2 boys sold 50% of our total Pack sales. I sent out multiple emails asking for help and got zero response. I am beyond pissed off.

Besides raising money, I think it's a good experience for the boys. Their entire life will be about selling. Selling yourself to a college, selling yourself to a future employer, etc... It also helps them get over the fear of talking to strangers and actively engaging with others. We have a little shtick I came up with to get my boys to engage customers. Since it was roadside, the people who stopped wanted to buy, but it's the boys job to pitch them, not mine.

I put an ad in the Classifieds here and several members bought popcorn. Cub Scout Popcorn THANK YOU again!!!

I've been popcorn kernel the past 3 years, and based on what happened this year I don't think I am going to do it any more, which is a shame. Either we won't do Scout activities or the parents will get nickled and dimed to death to pay for campouts, model rocket shootoff's, Boy Scout crossover/Blue & Gold dinner, special guests, etc...

</rant off>

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Cedric the Entertainer taught me how to avoid them or get them off you in the Kings of Comedy. I get so deep into it I go into the Matrix on they ass!

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12631 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never turned down a girl scout or a boy scout yet. Once I get diabetes, I'll likely revise that thinking:-)

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post