SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Kid’s selling crap all the time
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kid’s selling crap all the time Login/Join 
Picture of Hammer1967
posted
We don’t have children so I’m NEVER selling anything. But seems like I’m buying all the time.

I can say no without even skipping a beat, my lovely wife not so much. There should be a law against bring your kids junk to the office to sell.

She just brought home a $35 dollar box of fruit that was half rotten and looked like a box of rejected apples and oranges. I’ve got golf balls bigger than these apples.

If Jesus would have had a gun he would be alive today. Homer Simpson
“Him plenty dead” Tonto

Posts: 1090 | Location: TN | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I went through all that with my kids.
They would want me to take the stuff to work.
Nope. If I sell your stuff, then I’m obligated to buy theirs.

Usually, I’d just make a donation to whatever organization they were selling for.

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
No. I don’t buy anything. And double no if it’s related to school stuff.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Unless you have Thin Mints, fuck off.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I went door to door selling for band from elementary school up to the end of Junior High. Was not pushy, but polite and always respectful.

Sold a lot of stuff, was polite, and made sure I delivered every last item, completed and turned in every bit of paperwork and monies.

Learned some things.

I refused to buy from parents selling things for their kids, and told them the above, and that it was their kid's responsibility to fulfill their pledge, not the parents. Or the kids needed to sack up and say no to selling.

I will buy the Cookies from the girl that comes to my door (several years running, now), but will not buy from the "campers" outside stores. You want my business, earn it. Camping by the gate is for beggars.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:

Winner.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5306 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
I’ll buy, but I really just consider it a donation...so if it is crap, NBD...I donated.

Posts: 2933 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MMMMMM tagalongs...

Posts: 1301 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I went door to door selling for band from elementary school up to the end of Junior High. Was not pushy, but polite and always respectful.

Sold a lot of stuff, was polite, and made sure I delivered every last item, completed and turned in every bit of paperwork and monies.

Learned some things.

I refused to buy from parents selling things for their kids, and told them the above, and that it was their kid's responsibility to fulfill their pledge, not the parents. Or the kids needed to sack up and say no to selling.

I will buy the Cookies from the girl that comes to my door (several years running, now), but will not buy from the "campers" outside stores. You want my business, earn it. Camping by the gate is for beggars.

My wife works for the Girl Scouts and will walk passed parents doing the work at booths, but if the girls are putting in the work she'll engage and buy. I never paid attention to it until I met my wife I just wanted my damn cookies.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:

The hell you say. What kind of asshole are you. These are kids for Christ sakes....... besides it’s Samoa’s ...... those thin mint little shits can fuck off. Razz

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
One of the benefits of being an asshole. I can say no to Shirley Temple without batting an eye.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
My wife works for the Girl Scouts and will walk passed parents doing the work at booths, but if the girls are putting in the work she'll engage and buy. I never paid attention to it until I met my wife I just wanted my damn cookies.

Pro tip - ask the girls what their favorite flavor is. Buy an extra box of that.

Hand it back to them and wish them a happy day!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12404 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
One of the benefits of being an asshole. I can say no to Shirley Temple without batting an eye.

Yep, unless the wife is around. She can't say no but expects me to say no nice and gentle Roll Eyes

You will get your feelings hurt if you bang on my door trying to sell roofs, pest control etc. Why? because you ignored my no soliciting sign

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

...but will not buy from the "campers" outside stores. You want my business, earn it. Camping by the gate is for beggars.

Agreed 100%. That said, the girl that set up shop outside the marijuana dispensary definitely gets my vote for ingenuity.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Around here the exception is Blue & Gold Sausage. Best sausage ever. It’s a very popular sausage made locally. It’s a seasonal item, September thru April, so many stock their freezers up.

People go out of their way to find someone selling it. You’re always hearing someone ask who is selling it.

It’s a great fundraiser.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
One that really gets me going is that "we are selling this to sponsor a trip to Disney". Heck, I want to go to Disney but I don't expect you to pay.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I’m “here’s a fin don’t want any product”. With the exception of FFA fruit, it’s always good.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I no longer give to the girl scouts.
I don't engage the children nor do I engage the parents in front of the children.
"No Thank You".

Now, if I had the parents alone, they would get an ear full. And I have to say, I've resisted in the past even though I often see the parents schlepping the product w/ no kids around.

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
a really nice neighbor has a really nice kid in boy scouts.

He was selling popcorn for $12.00.

I told him I don't want the pop corn , but here is $6.00 for his college fund.

five years in a row now.

the foot ball jerks up at the High school sell no good for nothing coupon books on a yearly basis, to " purchase equipment and uniforms"
Roll Eyes

The useless coupon books are $15.00 ,
I give them $8.00 and tell them to pass the savings on to the next neighbor , down the street.

The footballers quit coming around after the 2nd year.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54606 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Yes, I hate it when they bring it to work, and rely on guilt to coerce you into buying wrapping paper or whatever crap they are selling.

Plus, the kid is supposed to sell, so get your kid out and make him sell it. Don't do it for him.

I didn't bring my kids' fund raisers to work, and generally don't buy when anyone else does. Except Girl Scout cookies, because they are delicious.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post