SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Did I acknowledge I heard you?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did I acknowledge I heard you? Login/Join 
Picture of grumpy1
posted
Good Lord. Wife just left for the store to get some Cheese Whiz after I went like 4 times yesterday including late last night. Roll Eyes

"I told you to get some". My reply was "when, I don't remember?" and she says "as you were leaving".

PLEASE I have asked her before "did I acknowledge like saying OK?". Silence on her part.

I am 66 now and have tinnitus. Work with me a little bit and get an acknowledgement and they got this thing called texting too LOL.

Anyway happy holidays to all. Hope I don't have to go to the store later today too or you either. Smile

Posts: 9741 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My bride is famous for asking me to get something in a low voice as she's turning away, as if she's trying to drive me nuts. Kinda like Charles Boyer in "Gaslight".

Well, Merry Chritmas have patience!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Before hearing aids, I told my wife "Eye Contact" if she needs me to hear her.

After hearing aids, she was talking to me with her head in a cabinet while I was in the other room Roll Eyes
- "You do realize you're talking to the dishes and not me right?"

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I go through the same thing with my wife. I tell her if I'm not in the same room and looking at you, don't expect me to hear what you said. She does it all the time, though.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I keep telling mine she has to pretty much be facing me. I get new hearing aids the day after Christmas. Also, I have diabetes, have for 20+ years. I get stupid when I get hungry, nothing I can do but eat. So she'll say....what do you want for lunch? I don't respond or say something stupid because low blood sugar. I could tell you I was feeling faint if I wasn't feeling faint. Duh.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Thank God. We need to form a support group. I knew I wasn't alone, but it's good to hear anyway. The low voice, facing away, in another room thing drives me insane.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RQSEimjVTUY" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

That's immediately what I thought of.

Posts: 5161 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm another. I say send me a text, as I can read, not hear...

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in. I really think my wife does it on purpose to torment me...
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
Thank God. We need to form a support group. I knew I wasn't alone, but it's good to hear anyway. The low voice, facing away, in another room thing drives me insane.

Where's the beer!

Posts: 475 | Location: Oro Valley, Arizona | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank God. We need to form a support group...

Already got one, that's me on the left:

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9145 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife does it to me constantly. I work around very loud equipment and jackhammers all day. I can’t hear what she’s saying half the time. And then she gets mad when I don’t do what she asked.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
"I told you to get some". My reply was "when, I don't remember?" and she says "as you were leaving".

God, I just love it when you're walking away, you get just out of earshot, and hear "yadda yadda yadda." *sigh*... Turn around, walk back, "Say what?" Get an annoyed look...

I love her, though, and no mistake.

quote:
PLEASE I have asked her before "did I acknowledge like saying OK?". Silence on her part.

BTDTGTTS Smile

quote:
I am 66 now and have tinnitus.

I'm doubly-cursed: I have tinnitus and my mind is usually off somewhere in another place. So first I have to actually hear decodable sounds, then I actually have to be paying attention to process them. I've been known to grunt "uh huh" and have not actually processed a word she's said. Or I do actually hear it, and forget it in the next heartbeat.

We've discussed this whole "positive acknowledgement" thing. Still happens.

But we're still in love with one another, so it's all good Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
I go through the same thing with my wife. I tell her if I'm not in the same room and looking at you, don't expect me to hear what you said. She does it all the time, though.

100% My wife is exactly the same. I could be on the other side of the house and she will assume I heard her as if I was standing next to her.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I don’t have the wife problem anymore, but...The opposite of that is one of my kids starting to walk away as I am telling them to get something.
It’s always “ok, ok”
Then they come back empty handed.
“I forgot” or “I did t hear you”

ITS BECAUSE YOU DIDNT STICK AROUND LONG ENOUGH FOR ME TO FINISH!!!

Oftimes, I like being home, alone, so I can sit quietly and listen to my tinnitus.....

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
LMAO and thanks fellow forum members as I am so glad to read that what I am experiencing is not unusual. I guess my Dad was right when he advised me that I better be a mind reader if I get married. Big Grin

Posts: 9741 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hvyhawler:
I'm another. I say send me a text, as I can read, not hear...

I tell my wife, in the nicest way I can, if its not in a text then I wont remeber or get it...I have a million things on my mond at any given point on any given day and asking me to get XYZ when i am halfway out the door is not gonna fly

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:

Same here. It got so bad once when we were on vacation I lost my shit in the middle of a crowd. Yeah I’m an asshole for losing control. I felt kinda justified though. After the hundredth time saying “what” and begging her to face me and speak clearly it’s a miracle I didn’t go on a five state killing spree.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
LMAO and thanks fellow forum members as I am so glad to read that what I am experiencing is not unusual. I guess my Dad was right when he advised me that I better be a mind reader if I get married. Big Grin

It must be in their DNA. Drives me absolutely crazy.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6484 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

My wife loves to talk to me while she is walking away from me. Like I could hear her anyway, but with her voice projecting a different direction, forget it. I've just learned to ignore and plead deafness.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post