SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Can't you see I am on the phone?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can't you see I am on the phone? Login/Join 
posted
I swear to God I am going to kill someone if this keeps up. I am working out of a client's office on a project and am absolutely not involved with anything they do except this project yet random people keep coming into my work area and, even though I am clearly on the phone, just start yapping or asking me random questions.

The same thing happens when I have headphones on which I do frequently when I am trying to get stuff done and want to tune out the outside noise...I will look up and see some idiot standing there with mouth moving and no concept of the fact I cannot hear a word.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Same thing happens at the gym. All. The. Time. I can’t hear you until I remove one of my earbuds. Frown

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I hear ya, brother. My wife sometimes gets pissy if I close the door to the den so I can have half a chance of actually communicating via the telephone.

OTOH, one of the reasons I haven't aggressively pursued getting hearing aids is that I can ignore annoying people and blame it on my hearing loss... Big Grin

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I hear ya, brother. My wife sometimes gets pissy if I close the door to the den so I can have half a chance of actually communicating via the telephone.

OTOH, one of the reasons I haven't aggressively pursued getting hearing aids is that I can ignore annoying people and blame it on my hearing loss... Big Grin

Funny, part of the reason i am working out of this office this week is that my wife has been home most of the week and has no grasp of the home office concept and just because I am there doe not mean i am there.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mine have an optional "spousal setting" that mutes them. Your audiologist can probably enable this software option.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.cafepress.com/+do-not-disturb+hats-caps

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:

I got a remote control for my "aids". I can reduce the volume/gain to where it does not amplify anything.

I can say that sometimes I wish I could just remove them for the "quiet" it would provide. Especially during certain "conversations".

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
I got a remote control for my "aids". I can reduce the volume/gain to where it does not amplify anything.
I can mute them with the app on my iPhone, or I can just reach up behind my left ear, press and hold either of the control buttons for three seconds, and they go into mute mode.

Either the iPhone app or the press and hold action will un-mute and restore normal volume.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Puckpilot78:
Was there supposed to be something in your post? All I see is a little blue square with a white question mark.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
I once had a contract gig where the person I was assigned to absolutely could not have me in the consultant's war room / cattle pen with the other contractor hoi polloi. Nooo. I might be distracted from The Really Important Work(tm). Nevermind they all sat there with headphones in while quietly coding. What'd the person do? Put me in the hallway outside their office working on the other half of a table not taken up by a office LAN printer.

O.M.F.G. Every 5 minutes. Someone would get a printout and say "Hi, why are you sitting here?" or "Are you a new administrative assistant? When will your cube be ready?" Every 10-15 minutes. Someone would ask me for directions to restroom, coffee, meeting room, someone's desk, restaurants, etc. Tried headphones and still had people waving or tapping me on the shoulder.

After a couple emails to various management on both sides, that lasted 6 hours. I got zero done that 6 hours and had to make up time in the evenings. Which resulted in a particularly nasty cold and sinus infection the following week.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]Was there supposed to be something in your post? All I see is a little blue square with a white question mark.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Dumb and Dumber GIF. Not sure why it won't work.

https://goo.gl/images/y3LUZ8

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Same thing happens at the gym. All. The. Time. I can’t hear you until I remove one of my earbuds. Frown

I do not get why on God’s green earth people always want to come up and talk to me at the gym. Ear buds in or not.
I know when I am at the gym I have the nastiest sour looking face I can make in hopes people will leave me alone. If you know someone the slight wave and head nod is just fine. But random people just coming up to jab has always baffled me.

I am an unattractive fella with a bit of pudge to spare so I know small talk is not being made for other interest.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Is having random people coming up to you at the gym a normal thing? It's never happened to me.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

I do not get why on God’s green earth people always want to come up and talk to me at the gym. Ear buds in or not.
I know when I am at the gym I have the nastiest sour looking face I can make in hopes people will leave me alone. If you know someone the slight wave and head nod is just fine. But random people just coming up to jab has always baffled me.

I am an unattractive fella with a bit of pudge to spare so I know small talk is not being made for other interest.

Oh no! You have the Talk To Me gene. Sorry man. I seem to have the recessive version where people only want to talk to me as I am right in the middle of something. I've seen people suffer with your genetic trait. You are correct; it does not matter what you look like... people MUST talk to you. The good news is other carriers of the trait will recognize your plight and we won't talk to you.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post