SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Y'aint talkin' raht. Correct your gun babbling here ...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Y'aint talkin' raht. Correct your gun babbling here ... Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
"Tomay toe, tauh mah tow, what's in a name anyway? Below is a brief list of commonly mispronounced names and terminology. It is not a big deal, but with a short read, you can at least sound like you know what you are talking about."

Hoppes 9

In 1903 Frank Hoppe mixed up nine chemicals to create the the gun solution/oil we now know, and love, as Hoppe's 9. The correct pronunciation of Frank Hoppe's last name is "Hoppy", thus "Hoppy's" number 9.

Sellier & Bellot

Sellier & Bellot founded in August 5, 1825 by a French merchant called Louis Sellier. Shortly after Sellier was joined by his Jean Maria Nicolaus Bellot. Today the ammunition manufacturer is situated in Vlašim, Czech Republic. The correct pronunciation is "sell-yay" and "bell-owe". Of course simply asking for "S & B" would also be understood."

Lots more here: Razz

http://www.ballistics101.com/proper_gun_babble.php

Life's been good to me so far

Posts: 15827 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
They forgot "Mannlicher"

It ain't MAN-licker.

It's more like MAWN-leak-air.

Then there's "Garand".

It's GARE-end. Not guh-RAND.

Posts: 32380 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
They left out Garand, the common name for the WWII U.S. service rifle.

It should rhyme with “errand” according to the inventor himself.

https://www.forgottenweapons.c...unce-garand-and-why/

Rogue quick fingered it ahead of me. Smile

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8189 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
We speak American around here

Posts: 5281 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Heckler & Koch anyone?

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
One that bugs the crap out of me is "motion nad-gent"...I hear that (or something close) from time to time around these parts.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10576 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
I need to know the PROPER pronunciation of:

Brügger & Thomet

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 3986 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Heckler & Koch anyone?

Heck-ler and Coke

Posts: 3986 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
We speak American around here

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Z06:
I need to know the PROPER pronunciation of:

Brügger & Thomet

Thanks in advance.

Brew-gair und Tom-ett

Posts: 32380 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it Car-bean or Car-byne?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15973 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Is it Car-bean or Car-byne?

Car-bean. It’s covered in the link provided by the OP.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8189 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Sorry, but it's Hopps. It's always been Hopps and it will always be Hopps.

It's the law.

Posts: 19951 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
My favorite in word butchery is GEISSELE. I've heard it and I can't remember it properly.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1986 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Glad they addressed Leupold; it sure bugs me when guys say “Lee-ah-pold.”

Posts: 13137 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
Ya'll funkin up them words. It car bean, and lee A poled

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by preten2b:
My favorite in word butchery is GEISSELE. I've heard it and I can't remember it properly.

Its Guys-Lee.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Any clue how to pronounce Česká zbrojovka? Neither do I, but I can pronounce CZ. How do you pronounce the S in Mauser, like "sss" or a Z?

Even when Leupold is pronounced correctly, sometimes when a person transcribes it, it gets lost in the translation. How many times have you seen "Loophole" scopes for sale in an ad paper, or "Mouser" rifles? And this common/famous one …

Posts: 27777 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any clue how to pronounce Česká zbrojovka? Neither do I, but I can pronounce CZ.

Chess-kah for sure. I believe the second word is pronounced as though there was no “j” in the word, and two syllables. Zbrov (long “o”) kah

Posts: 13137 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Interesting & fun read on a cold winter day Smile

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post