SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Y'aint talkin' raht. Correct your gun babbling here ...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Y'aint talkin' raht. Correct your gun babbling here ... Login/Join 
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
How about Vltor?

quote:
The name VLTOR originates from the Latin word ultor and means “Avenger”.
Latin pronunciation is uhl’tawr. Current pronunciation is vōl-tȯr.

Source: https://www.vltor.com/company/

Posts: 4121 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Geissele
quote:
Q: First off you have a unique last name. Can you tell our readers how to correctly pronounce it? I have heard it pronounced so many different ways including: ‘Jee-sell', ‘Guy-sel', ‘Guy-sell-ee' and ‘Guys-Lee'. So who's right?

Its pronounced ‘Guys-Lee'. It is a German name that in Germany is pronounced “Guy-sa-la” The ‘e's are said like ‘a's. Sort of like Porch-a. But since my family has been here 190 years it has been totally Americanized. If I go to Germany people immediately think I am German and start talking to me in German and when I tell them I am an American they say “Oh your name is SO German…..your family is from Southern Germany”.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23047 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mauser. “MAU-zer”

Posts: 2126 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
"Sock-oh" (it's not a watch)

And yet... Even though I know it's wrong, I still say it wrong. Big Grin

Posts: 21030 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I'm going to need a trigger warning next time. The winch/ wench thing is one of my biggest pet peeves.

quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Any clue how to pronounce Česká zbrojovka? Neither do I, but I can pronounce CZ. How do you pronounce the S in Mauser, like "sss" or a Z?

Even when Leupold is pronounced correctly, sometimes when a person transcribes it, it gets lost in the translation. How many times have you seen "Loophole" scopes for sale in an ad paper, or "Mouser" rifles? And this common/famous one …

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3503 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I'd quibble with the phonetic spelling of Mosin Nagant.

More like Moe-san (say the "an" like "ant" without the "t,") Nug-an (same on the "an" sound but a little rounder).

Those are French words, and we don't really have that sound in English. As I say, it is a little rounder than "ant," but still a little nasal. And the French don't really sound the final consonant in words like Mosin or Nagan, but they don't entirely drop it. They hint at it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post