SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Windows setup
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windows setup Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I haven’t bought a windows pc in years. Perhaps this is the norm now but I hate it.

I received a new laptop as a gift. Last time, I created a local account and away we went. This thing is asking me for an email or phone number. I can’t finish setup with out it. It’s saying I can create a local account after setup is complete but I don’t want to setup with an email address. Why the fuck does it need an email address for setup? Why can’t I just create a random local account from the get go? They respect my privacy but require me to give it up to them just to use my new pc?

Is this the fucking norm now? I guess I can create some anonymous email account that I will never use except to complete setup here. But I’m just inclined now to install Ubuntu. I assume Ubuntu will work on the latest CPU’s and laptops?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I setup a new Windows 10 install, I set it up without being connected to the Internet. When it asks, I click on No Internet and proceed. After the reboot, I connect to the Internet. No Microsoft account needed (even thought it warns of "Limited" features).

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I will try that. Thx.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
It definitely takes some work, but it can be done without a phone/email.
I don't recall the steps, but I bypassed it somehow & just set up a local acct.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I hate that too and I am a die-hard MS guy.
You can opt out in PRO versions but they always force you on HOME versions to make a MS account.
The account isn't all that bad as it does offer some nice features but I understand your concern.
You can always revert to a local account afterwards then disregard the MS account.
However, never tried the non Internet Connection method mentioned above as all my client installs are always PRO.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Part of the hate for win 8 and higher is the shift to requiring a Microsoft account. Apple requires an account so I'm not sure why it pissed me off so much when Microsoft started to but hey, hate is emotional, it does not have to make sense.

I do have a Microsoft account that I had to create in order to download Microsoft office that I got through my company but I have never used it to log into a windows machine. I have always been able to configure them as a local account by ignoring the hard press to sign in. It might be due to the edition I’m using.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Or you could use a throw away email account to set it up. But don't actually throw away the email. You might need it.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Somehow got setup without using an email. I kept entering curse words for account and password. Something happened and next thing I knew it was letting me setup a local account. 400gb ssd. So I think I’ll install Ubuntu as well and repartition the ssd.

Increasingly hating msft. Windows, teams, office subscription model, cortana, hate it all. If I ever have to buy it use another mfst product, it’ll be too soon.

Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I just select "use corporate account" when installing. It will allow you to set it up without email or a Microsoft account. Of course this only works on Windows 10 Pro.

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
I hate that too and I am a die-hard MS guy.
You can opt out in PRO versions but they always force you on HOME versions to make a MS account.
The account isn't all that bad as it does offer some nice features but I understand your concern.
You can always revert to a local account afterwards then disregard the MS account.
However, never tried the non Internet Connection method mentioned above as all my client installs are always PRO.

Ah, we only use Pro at work, so that's all I'm accustomed to.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post