SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Yellow jackets!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yellow jackets! Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Sum of the bits!! Mad

I've needed to mow for over a week now, and we've had nothing but rainy evenings. Either that, or I've had to work. Today I got out of work a little early and the weather was beautiful. Time to mow!

I've got a small area in the back yard that's nothing but mulch and weeds. I stopped the mower and snatched a few gnarly vines out of the mess, and then it (they) hit me. Ow!! Frack!!

I'm sure it was quite a spectacle for the fellow out back staining his house. I'm glad he didn't fall off his ladder laughing at my "ow-crap!" dance.

The best I can tell, I got hit three, maybe four times. Jiminy Cricket these places hurt! Makes me want even more to just torch that area of the yard. Google tells me yellow jackets are "beneficial insects," but that doesn't make me like this little jokers any better. Mad

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Can of Lysol, a lit hurricane candle, and a flame retardant suit and mask.

Give 'em Hell!

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Google tells me yellow jackets are "beneficial insects," but that doesn't make me like this little jokers any better. Mad

Google is a lying bitch. Those things are creatures of satan.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BDA220
posted Hide Post
We have a bumper crop of the little flying fuckers here! More than ever. Wasp traps are selling out in all the stores.
I can get two inches of dead ones in multiple traps in 24 hours.

"Strange days have found us, strange days have tracked us down." JM

Posts: 807 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All the time
Picture of Gear.Up
posted Hide Post
I almost started a thread of my own on this same topic.

I was mowing the back yard two weeks ago and got hit on each ankle.

Then last Monday while I was walking the dog, we both got stung. Him on the snout, me on the top of my left hand, between the thumb and forefinger.

My hand swelled up about 2.5 times normal. I lost two days of motorcycle riding because I couldn't fit my hand in the glove.

Posts: 2320 | Location: East TN | Registered: July 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
Find the opening of the Nest... it may just be a hole in the ground. fill hole with Sevan Dust.. they will carry it in.. and all die.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Been there. Ripped most of my clothes off while hitting myself from head to toe like an AL Wifebeater. The actual wife in screen porch rolling in laughter - yeah, I'm coming in the for YOU and bringing my little friends!

Gasoline, Nuclear, whatever it takes after that. Yeah, the yellowjackets too.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I don't often get tangled up with stinging flying insects these days, but when I do, it's full scale genocide on any bug I see for a couple weeks. Sting me? I kill you, your momma, your kids, etc...

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I got hit by 15 at once last summer.

Still get chills down my spine remembering that...

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Partial remedy-2 liter coke bottle (plastic) just below where the neck curve ends cut it off, now take the cut off top and neck down insert it in the bottom. Add soft drink, sugar water, beer and place it close to the yellow jacket nest they can get in but not out.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The one time in her lifetime of riding horses (bareback, English, Western, Australian Stock), the only time she's been tossed was when she was patrolling in Wheaton Regional Park (Mongomery County MD). She and Willie stepped on an in ground nest, Willie got stung several times and off she went. Dislocated shoulder, fractured humeral head, and a big long black bruise on her left arm as she landed on that side, where she carried her duty weapon. In line at the checkout at Giant, the cashier had the nerve to ask if I did that to her. Mad I am not fond of yellow jackets in general.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
My wife has been stung twice this summer. Me, I patrol the property with Ortho Home Defense spray. They don't have the guts to sting me, but I follow them to their final destination and spray everything within 6 feet of their landing site. This year we have an over abundance of both Wasps and Paper Wasps.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
A couple of incidents:

Got nailed while working in our back yard, several times. Finally found their nest in the ground. Marked it & later that night I poured a bunch of bug killer into the nest hole. End of that problem.

In Germany, went into the woods with Father in Law to inspect a firewood pile he had bought. Found a HUGE paper wasp nest in the middle of it. We ran, pursued by the little bastards.

I went to the PX and bought a couple cans of bug killer spray. Took them out to the woodpile, along with my.22 placed the cans on both sides of the nest, backed off and shot both cans with the .22. End of that problem.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
neighbor was killed a few weeks ago by them, hew was 74

he was supposedly not allergic, but hit a nest cleaning some brush and got hit, over 30 times according to the medical examiner,

they thought it may have been some odd strain of wasp, so they sent a few dead ones off to find out,

just yellow jackets,

bastards,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
So. Last night involved a dose of Benadryl, a "slathering" of hydrocortisone cream, a milkshake run, and a heck of a nap.

I've got one sting on my left leg and two on the right, and somehow the left itches worse. No swelling, thankfully, but plenty of "itch and annoy."

Fargin' little bastiges!

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
I don't often get tangled up with stinging flying insects these days, but when I do, it's full scale genocide on any bug I see for a couple weeks. Sting me? I kill you, your momma, your kids, etc...
Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I was weedwhacking the ditchbank several years ago and stirred up a nest of them.

I immediately discovered two things I didn't know about myself:

1. I can shot-put a 10 pound weed whacker 100 yards without a windup.

2. I can beat said weed whacker to it's landing site.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Was the weed whacker still running when it landed, Paul?

I went over to the rent-all place. They said they didn't have a flame thrower I could rent. Frown

Meanwhile, I'm itching like crazy, and it's hard as heck to not scratch.

God bless America.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Big Grin Was the weed whacker still running when it landed, Paul?

String head hadn't even stopped spinning... Razz Big Grin

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I went over to the rent-all place. They said they didn't have a flame thrower I could rent. Frown

Maybe not, but you can buy this one:

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post