SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Politicians that try to distance them selves from any party affiliation.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Politicians that try to distance them selves from any party affiliation. Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
Anyone else annoyed by this?
It used to be that party affliction was always stated. In ads, on campaign signage and news reports. Now it seems they leave you to guess. I just had a local candidate campaigning for County Mayor knock on the door asking for my support. He had a two sided door knob hanger and I grazed it as he asked for my support. Lots of BS, safer schools, better infrastructure, bull bull bull, but absolutely nothing on the card stated what party he belonged to, I had to ask. I see this a lot now-a-days.

New stories as well...
Senator Joe Blowhard of Timbuktu today announced......

OK, I'm not from Timbuktu and don't know this dude, how about telling me his party affiliation like you used to always do.
Senator Joe Blowhard (R) of timbuktu today announced......

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
In a news media article, when the politician is a Republican, that’ll be identified in the first sentence of the first paragraph; but when they are a Democrat, it’s buried in the second to the last sentence in the last paragraph of the article.

That is a whole lot like perpetrators of criminal activity; white male suspects get the full treatment of identification to include type and color of underwear, whereas black perpetrators are never identified as such in the report.

It’s the “default programming” in news media. You just have to understand the mediaspeak for their agendas.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
In a news media article, when the politician is a Republican, that’ll be identified in the first sentence of the first paragraph; but when they are a Democrat, it’s buried in the second to the last sentence in the last paragraph of the article...

That applies more when the topic is embarrassing and/or harmful to the to the politician. (R) will be in the headline, (D) is buried in the text or ignored.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've noticed this "distancing" also.
Also noticed they all seem to be echoing President Trumps programs and values.

Slimey politicians.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yesterday we had local elections of school board members. There were 6 or so candidates and none of them were identified by party. I didn't know any of them as my kids are all grown now and I have no interaction with the schools. I feel foolish just picking names off a list of people that I don't know. Party affiliation would be soooooo helpful!

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Collins:
Yesterday we had local elections of school board members. There were 6 or so candidates and none of them were identified by party. I didn't know any of them as my kids are all grown now and I have no interaction with the schools. I feel foolish just picking names off a list of people that I don't know. Party affiliation would be soooooo helpful!

Lots of times, school board and judicial races are termed “non-partisan” and thus no political party affiliations identified. You have to then look to see who or what organizations have endorsed the candidates and that will usually give the affiliation; i.e., if school board election, who has the teachers’ union endorsed and that’ll be the Democrat.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Turns out that the guy who knocked on my door is running in the Republican primary for County Mayor. The multi term incumbent, a Republican also, is extremely well liked and will win again hands down if he chooses to run, he has not announced yet that I can find and is in his 70s now.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post