SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Its a muzzle brake...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Its a muzzle brake... Login/Join 
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted
not break, take a note Roll Eyes

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that's so annoying, give us a brake, guys, would ya?

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I here you, it's right up their with partridge sights.

Posts: 199 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Yeah, that's so annoying, give us a brake, guys, would ya?

Haha, I see what ya did their Wink

David W.

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Brake Check!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
What if I wanted to put a muzzle break on my brake-action side by side?
What then?!
Wink

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Muzzle Brake:

Muzzle Break:

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Muzzle beak...

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
LOL Big Grin

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I hate to brake it to you, but the vast majority will keep on using break. You'll never brake them of the habit.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
When I got finished with the final fitment of the furniture I was going to run on that new rifle that I had a buddy sale too me, I decided to through on a muzzle break to, and walla - It was compleat.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
When I got finished with the final fitment of the furniture I was going to run on that new rifle that I had a buddy sale too me, I decided to through on a muzzle break to, and walla - It was compleat.

That's actually painful to read...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Its ...
???

Posts: 2538 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Brake, a mechanical device used to stop motion.

Break, to smash, split, or divide into parts violently; reduce to pieces or fragments. Just what it does to the escaping gas at the muzzle.

So why is it wrong?

IIRC both come from the same word, breken.

Just another one of those things, like belittling people for calling it a magazine and not a clip. Roll Eyes
Or "it's a suppressor, not a silencer." (someone go back in time and tell Hiram Maxim he was wrong.) Wink

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Brake, a mechanical device used to stop motion.

That is what a muzzle brake is intended to do: stop (or slow) the rearward motion of the gun. Although it may break up the discharge gases as well, that’s not why we use them.

As for “silencer,” that’s the legal term for the devices, so that’s why I use it occasionally. Why HM called them that despite surely knowing that they didn’t always silence the sound of a gunshot, he was an entrepreneur, was he not, and don’t entrepreneurs sometimes exaggerate the characteristics of their products? Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pedantry is less important than people knowing what you are saying. Study a little linguistics and you'll discover that spelling and pronunciation varies quite a bit over time (especially in English!). What's most important is to simply be understood.

Try correctly pronouncing "SAKO" in Oklahoma and they will have NO idea what you are talking about. Pronounce it like "Seiko" as in the watches and you'll be understood.

Brake is the currently correct spelling in English but give it a few years and who knows what will happen! :-D

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by senza nome:
quote:
Its ...
???

tou·ché, I'm lazy.

David W.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

How did it preform?

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post