SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    CC declined - fraud protection?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CC declined - fraud protection? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Okay, for more than a week, I've been travelling in other states using my CC daily in places unknown. It's all fine.

But apparently it's suspicious when I return home, buy gas (filling up after arriving at home) then the next day, buy groceries and then gas again (different car) at stores I have frequented over the past 20 years. These last charges are suspicious and put a hold on my CC for which I need to call to confirm recent charges and have to wait for my CC to be reset?

Charges within 5 miles of home is what is deemed suspicious after a week on the road? WTF?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Yeah it’s stupid.

Someone in Canada buys skype phones (yeah this was a while ago) and later that day someone in Germany buys skype phones. My credit card lets these go through. I try to buy gas 5 mins from home and they want me to verify I am me.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Differnt triggers. It may have been the distance and places while away, but the trigger only tripped after you got home and purchased.

My cards have been trigered before, and a couple did not make sense. I have a friend that works at the Credit Union (of the accounts) and she told me that she could not tell me specifics about the triggers, but that they happen a great deal.

None of them were an inconvenience, just took a call to clear and allow me to make charges.

I have several means of purchase, so I am not concerned about it, and actually appreciate their efforts.

(Been with the same CU since the 70s, and it is still local/member owned, managed and including the Board).

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you make the CC co. Aware of your travels?
The same issue occurred with me. The CC rep recommended I inform them of my travels.
Took her advice and haven’t had this concern since.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i inform if traveling or making a large purchase that could end up in a delay before item is processed/shipped.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The same issue occurred with me. The CC rep recommended I inform them of my travels.

^^^^^^^^^^
I think this is a bad idea. Not quite as bad as posting your plans on Facebook though. It is none of their damn business. I always carry other means of payment. Besides, a phone call easily clears this hold.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^
I think this is a bad idea. Not quite as bad as posting your plans on Facebook though. It is none of their damn business. I always carry other means of payment. Besides, a phone call easily clears this hold.

Really? If I was suspicious that my CC is in cahoots with the BGs.... well, I don't.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just think it is inadvisable to disclose personal details when there are other options that are easily available. It is not just a matter of security it is a matter of privacy.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
It's been years since I had a Southwest Airlines visa, but one of the reasons I no longer have 1 was their fraud department. I'd buy plane tickets with their credit card a week or 2 in advance, make hotel reservations with their credit card, book a rental car with their credit card, fly there on their airplane, grab my rental car, check into the hotel, etc. Despite all of that, their credit card fraud department would get their panties in a twist the first meal I bought.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

...buy gas (filling up after arriving at home) then the next day, buy groceries and then gas again (different car)...

A few years ago our card got rejected an hour from home. We had bought gas westbound on I-80, then tried to use the same station about eight hours later.

With limited help from the credit card company we concluded the system detected potential fraud. We now fill up a different station the second time.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have switched to cash only for all but Publix, Krogers, & Walmart. Online I use a different credit card. My USAA cards have been shoved in a drawer because the security is too tight to use for travel. American Express & Citibank seem to be the best cards for travel. Again cash eliminates all credit & debt card problems.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess it depends on CC company. I have found USAA to be the worst.

That's why my USAA cards are not used. Every time I tried to purchase a plane ticket it was refused & USAA Security is only open during the day. But, two weeks ago they let a $820 charge at an auto repair shop in FL go through! Last year USAA Security locked my checking accounts for a week because I did not respond within 15 minutes to a Credit Card (not a debit card) charge they questioned and it was a legitimate charge. I even called the USAA head office & was told Security could do anything they wanted.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I just think it is inadvisable to disclose personal details when there are other options that are easily available. It is not just a matter of security it is a matter of privacy.

If I had issues with a bank knowing vague details of my real-time location, I'd be changing banks.

They're going to see the locations of where you use the card, 24x7x365. Not sure what are you hoping to keep private from them, when they know the location when the transactions come up for approval?

Now, if the card is staying home - different story. In that case they wouldn't be finding out through usage, and you'd want them on alert for non-home-geo usage anyway.

If folks don't want that trip to Aruba known to them at the time, and in your account records thereafter through the transaction records...home's the place for the card.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Over the last few years I’ve had several card purchases challenged / denied even though the charge was valid. It was very frustrating particularly if, for example, you took a client out to dinner etc. This is with a card that is completely paid off monthly.

One of my cards would text you whenever their algorithm “detected” any unusual activity. The problem for me was that I don’t always carry my phone with me...or we were in an area that had zero cell service. I dropped that card after having a “talk” with their cc fraud Dept. who basically said tough shit...

I went through several different cards and finally found one that was not intrusive or a PITA to deal with. With this new card I go online, log into my account and tell them my travel dates. No questions about where we’re going or any other intrusive interrogation. They just allow me more freedom in my purchases. Last year, for example, we spent a month in Namibia, one of the least developed and sparsely populated countries in the world and had zero issues with the card.

Last week I finally realized a life long dream and purchased the new Rolex Submariner. When I gave the AD my card I realized that I didn’t have my phone with me and went out to the car to get it in case they tried to text me but they didn’t ....

I don’t know if they have improved their software but, knock on wood, I’m actually happy with the way their treating me.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Last couple times mine has "declined," I called the card services number only to find that their records don't even show an attempted use. So something on the merchant's end can fail and their default explanation is "declined."

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
So did you attempt to make purchases from the NFL Shop, Domino's and Palmetto State Armory?

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/6190017574

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
My small local bank has been great except once earlier this year. I went to withdraw cash at one of their branch ATMs and accidentally hit balance inquiry instead of withdraw. No big deal, it displayed my balance, I got my cash and left. Not even 5 minutes later I get a fraudulent activity alert on my debit card. Called and got it straightened out. The balance inquiry is what triggered the alert. WTF

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post