SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Hotel - not allowed to keep water and fruit?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hotel - not allowed to keep water and fruit? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Last week and this week - I put water and fruit in the fridge. Come back and it’s gone. I told the front desk last week. But again, all gone this time.

Is it a new hotel trend that they clean out the fridge every day? Or is it just my luck?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
It's your hotel room while you're staying there and they shouldn't be taking out your food. I would even consider it okay if you're squeezing something into the snack bar fridge.

Especially if it's water. Even if they have the water bottle for sale. What are you supposed to do if you start choking?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Try leaving a note requesting they not trash your stuff?

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I keep all sorts of shit in my hotel fridges. Water, fruit, liquor, food. And I’ve stayed in just about every chain there is.

I rarely let the maids in my room though. I don’t like them touching my stuff and I can make my own bed. But when I do let them in they’ve never thrown anything away.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Never had a problem until last week. Disregarded until the repeat this week. Same hotel. I’ll talk to the desk tomorrow.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Stealing, by any other name...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Stealing, by any other name...

This! And I would be raising bloody hell with the management, and demanding that they pay me for what they STOLE!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep the maids out of your room. Food and water are not the only things they take.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I think you should buy a bottle of lemon lime Gatorade and a 99 cent tube of generic super glue. Drink it or dump it out then urinate in it, glue seal back on bottle, and store in fridge. If they’re stealing they deserve to drink piss.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would even consider it okay if you're squeezing something into the snack bar fridge.

Most assuredly don't do this, unless you want a fight that will make your head explode, which you may or may not win.

Most snack bar fridges are inventoried/charged based on something coming out, or even being jammed around to where it no longer thinks it is still there. Whether you consumed it or not is irrelevant.

Trust me on this one.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never had a problem with that, but I can imagine it happening. Leave a note on the fridge.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Keep the maids out of your room...

Agreed.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My husband & I both have certain dietary needs & restrictions (due to allergies) & I have blood sugar issues; if we can't have access to our own foods, we don't go. We usually call the hotel ahead of time about our issues & request 2 fridges then we don't allow anyone in our room. If we need anything, we just ask for it when the maids come by with their carts.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
"Do Not Disturb"

Works wonders for me. Of course I don't need my bed made and towels changed every day, and in most places (at least domestically) the staff isn't even allowed to knock on the door, much less come in.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
"Do Not Disturb"

Works wonders for me. Of course I don't need my bed made and towels changed every day, and in most places (at least domestically) the staff isn't even allowed to knock on the door, much less come in.

This...

And when I do need towels, I just grab them from the HK cart as I walk past.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10918 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Waiting for an update with results of OP’s chat with the front desk staff...

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
They were sorry and will talk to Housekeeping. They offered to reimburse for the fruit.

Seems like Housekeeping is treating the room as checked out. Trainees?

Next time, I’m keeping water and fruits in the safe and using the DND sign when I don’t need service. Smile

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
"Do Not Disturb"

Very first thing I do is hang the sign.

I stay in a lot of hotels in my job and I never use maid service, even on vacations. For longer stays, we have someone bring by extra toilet paper, soap, etc. while we are occupying the room, but that's it.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Do Not Disturb"

Like Oddball said, very first thing I do is hang the sign. I'm paying for the room so stay out. I do make my bed each morning and will ask the staff if I need more toilet paper, etc.....

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I can’t fathom allowing housekeeping to mess with my stuff. I also hang the sign and cover the peephole as soon as I check in. I often let the front desk know that I won’t be needing housekeeping services during my stay so they can mark it in their system.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post