SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Left Lane Camping
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Left Lane Camping Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Sure, it's irritating when this happens. But remember, you can always just quietly pass on the right. You can even be self-righteous and obnoxious about it when you do, and flip the bird or something else mature like that.

You know, as opposed to just continuing on down the road like a big boy....

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3479 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And then you have Virginia,Interstate 81. Tons of traffic with only 2 lanes,and almost the entire route is hilly or mountainous road. If you are driving 72 -75 mph you will always be passing someone. The speed limit is 70. Trouble is if you go over 80 you can be ticketed with reckless driving which is a misdemeanor criminal offense, not a traffic offense.

Try passing a line of cars and semis doing less than 70 going uphill, and then you are going downhill and the trucks are going 78-79. You are then blocking all the cars behind you,tailgating you when you are in the left lane trying to pass all the slow trucks that were slow when you starting passing them. I will not drive above 78 in Virginia.

All of 81 is like this.

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:
quote:
Originally posted by JR78:
How ironic, I stopped a vehicle this morning and wrote him for impeding traffic in the left lane.

Thank you! Cool

Keep up the good work, please!

Absolutely

Posts: 1964 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redwood25:
Sure, it's irritating when this happens. But remember, you can always just quietly pass on the right. You can even be self-righteous and obnoxious about it when you do, and flip the bird or something else mature like that.

You know, as opposed to just continuing on down the road like a big boy....

I did mention the BMW in the morning rush. It was bumper to bumper. I once followed one. He'd speed up to 65, the slow to 55. Meanwhile traffic in the next lane was solid. When the traffic finally opened up, I got over and started to pass. He stays with me. Turns out he wanted to cut across three lanes and take the exit. Once he was gone there was a steady stream of cars speeding past me.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
I did mention the BMW in the morning rush. It was bumper to bumper. I once followed one. He'd speed up to 65, the slow to 55. Meanwhile traffic in the next lane was solid. When the traffic finally opened up, I got over and started to pass. He stays with me. Turns out he wanted to cut across three lanes and take the exit.
This happens to me just about every morning. There is a local road, two lanes in each direction. Maybe a half mile from my house the "local" portion of the road ends and feeds into a toll road expressway.

The left lane, westbound, has to continue straight, onto the expressway. Traffic in the right lane has an option: either continue straight, onto the expressway, or bear right and take the exit lane to stay on local roads.

Since I tend to travel at the posted speed limit so I don't have to worry about where the radar guys are, I usually drive in the right lane so as not to impede those who are very important and have to go really fast in order to get to their next important event. Roll Eyes

It happens almost every day. I am in the right lane, traveling at the posted speed limit, 50 mph, when somebody behind me decides to pull around to the left lane, pass me, get back in the right lane in front of me, and then brake hard so that s/he will not overshoot the exit ramp to the right. The moron has gained one car length. ONE CAR LENGTH. This allows her / him to get to the bottom of the exit ramp maybe two or three seconds faster, allowing that much more time to sit there behind all the other vehicles that are waiting for the traffic light to turn green.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30664 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Sometimes my windshield is dirty, and as I (finally) pass the slow left hand lane driver in the right hand lane, I may clean it by washing my windshield. After I safely merge back to the left lane, natch. Not excessively, just enough to get bug guts off. Never really thought about where the excess runoff goes when it leaves my windshield. You don't suppose.... nah.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Sometimes my windshield is dirty, and as I (finally) pass the slow left hand lane driver in the right hand lane, I may clean it by washing my windshield. After I safely merge back to the left lane, natch. Not excessively, just enough to get bug guts off. Never really thought about where the excess runoff goes when it leaves my windshield. You don't suppose.... nah.
Lol. I used to have a older Jeep Cherokee Sport, with the windshield wiper in the back.

Somewhere along the way the washer thingy for that wiper got bumped or something, so it would send a good 1/2 of the fluid up into the airstream instead of on the tailgate window...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BrianC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JR78:
How ironic, I stopped a vehicle this morning and wrote him for impeding traffic in the left lane.

I wish there were more like you!

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen

Posts: 11139 | Location: Here. Now. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Happens all the time here. We even have signs that say "slow traffic move right". I don't get too bent out of shape about it as along as they're moving at least a little bit faster than the right hand lane (it is the passing lane after all).

The one that really irritates me is when they can't keep an even speed - when there's open road they'll be going 10-15 over and then when they do catch someone in the right hand land they slow down and pace that vehicle (usually going less than the speed limit) for awhile. Repeatedly. Speeding up to close the gap when I move over to the right to pass is just a dickhead move. Either learn to use the cruise control or move right when the pass has been completed.

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post