SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Added a new Logitech Harmony remote
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Added a new Logitech Harmony remote Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I have been a fan of Logitech Harmony remotes for quite some time.

Have a hub, companion remote (simple no screen), and of course you can use the app on the devices.

I wanted some more one touch options and a screen but never felt like spending over $100 for the touch remote with the screen. Sams had it on sale for $60 so I grabbed it.

Tried to just add is myself and it jacked everything up. Called Logitech CS (which is really good) and thought I got everything up and rolling after an hour on the phone with them.

But had to leave and did not get to test everything. Now, I can get any of my remotes to function the Amazon FireTV. Recognizes it and is paired but does nothing at all guess I am going to have to call back.

Seems like anytime I try to upgrade or tweak anything I just jack it up.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I have had Harmony remotes since Moby Dick was a Minnow.

I currently have the Harmony Home Remote and absolutely love it. It allows me to switch between my Dish Network, Apple TV, Firestick, Fire TV and DVD player.

It also can control lights via my Smartthings Hub. It has been trouble free and if it took a dump tomorrow, I'd buy the same one.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Only downside, though no real way around it as customizable as they are, is how long it takes to get them setup especially when you have lots of devices and activities to setup.

Setting the order, delays, and IR blaster placement took me a couple of days to get everything tweaked right.

I am getting ready to revamp how I watch everything with an XBOX One so I hope it plays nicely.

I need to look into the Smarthub.

Do you have any door sensors with your hub??? Curious how well they work.

————————————————

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Love their remotes, especially the older ones (I still use the XBOX Logitech ones).

Hate the configuration app.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Logitech has an excellent system with the Harmony control but the documentation is just horrible. Anytime someone asks me if they should get one I will always answer YES but also tell them that they won't get it working properly until they spend an hour or two on the phone with Customer Service. Good news is that as you have observed their CS is First Rate.

IMO this is just the way that Tech is done today. Rather that spend the money to have a real Technical Writer produce a well written manual with all the needed illustrations they would rather have a call center in who knows were use an online linkup to do all the customization tweaks they are unwilling to document the procedure for. What frosts me is that if they were to simply put the documentation provided to the call center into a PDF file they could probably cut their customer service costs by 50% or more.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5623 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I am not sure it is that easy Scooter.
Then thing can control so many devices and they are quick to stay up with new types and technology.

For simple actions and activities it would be easy but some get pretty complex.

The manual would be gigantic trying to search it would be far more daunting then an hour or so with their CS.

————————————————

Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
I had an old Harmony touchscreen remote for years. Loved it but the battery was starting to go.

Bought the smart hub on sale and use my ipad as the remote with the Harmony app. Easy to set up and use. The only issue is getting Alexa to recognize the hub so I can issue voice commands. Alexa cant see the hub on the network.

Posts: 2711 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Do they still have that jacked up support line that charges $20 just to talk to someone? Pretty sure I’m thinking of Logitech.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are thinking of Logitech but the first 6 months the technical support is free. In addition if you decide to add an additional remote or new dohicky you get another 6 months of free support.

So it's not quite as bad as it could be. However I do agree that lifetime support would be a much better approach for the consumer. Because the addition of a new TV or other addition to the system could lead to issues getting the new device connected at a real cost to the customer and a really pissed off customer.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5623 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
They have recently changed it to 90 days of free support with a new product and $10 an incident which could constitute numerous calls to get it tweaked right.
I find that quite reasonable with as good as their support is.

————————————————