SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    What's my deal? My computer.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's my deal? My computer. Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
Macs just work. It's that simple.

I get it, dj. I've been using a friend's Mac for a week or so, helping her with some work. I'm amazed, really. Her sister has one just like it that she's wanting to sell... I may bring it home one day.

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:

I get it, dj. I've been using a friend's Mac for a week or so, helping her with some work. I'm amazed, really. Her sister has one just like it that she's wanting to sell... I may bring it home one day.

Best of luck! I'm glad you got to at least try one long enough to make an informed decision for yourself. :-)

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Indeed, sir.

I'm not really sure what was happening, but for the last two days this PC has been much more like what I expected.

(I'm still thinking this machine will be somewhat temporary....)

Usually what happens with a new laptop is that Windows goes looking for updates right away as does much of the installed software. These updates can install in the background and take up a lot of resources until they are finished and with the consumer version of Windows you really don't have much control over it. If a major Windows update was needed that can really slow things down until it is done. Glad to hear it is working better.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Macs are computers with training wheels.
A lot people require dumbing down.
It's that simple.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
It's that simple.

If by dumbing down you mean a computer that doesn't require more time updating, de-virusing, etc. than time actually USING a computer you are correct.

Doesn't hurt that they work a lot faster with the same programs either........... ;-)

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
It's that simple.

If by dumbing down you mean a computer that doesn't require more time updating, de-virusing, etc. than time actually USING a computer you are correct.

Doesn't hurt that they work a lot faster with the same programs either........... ;-)

Yeah sure. Roll Eyes

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes SURE. I've made Extensive use of both. Did PC's from the beginning. Built quite a few. I used to be just like you criticizing Mac's for their cost vs spec sheets. Then I tried a Mac for some Photo Editing and realized what I was missing and how wrong I was about Mac's. Realized I enjoy using a computer more than working on them.........dj

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
When you breakdown the time you gain having a Mac, the investment is money well spent.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes SURE. I've made Extensive use of both. Did PC's from the beginning. Built quite a few. I used to be just like you criticizing Mac's for their cost vs spec sheets. Then I tried a Mac for some Photo Editing and realized what I was missing and how wrong I was about Mac's. Realized I enjoy using a computer more than working on them.........dj

You see dj, I am not criticizing Mac's.
I'm criticizing your sweeping uneducated and unqualified generalizing comments.
I have no problem with your preference for Apple.
As an IT Professional I tend view things more objectively and take all factors into consideration.
Even Mac's have their place.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm criticizing your sweeping uneducated and unqualified generalizing comments.

Thinking back to programming in Fortran and COBOL using punch cards on a 64k Mainframe, to my Atari 800, Commodore 64, CPM based desktop, 20+ PC's including 4 currently owned........

I really just have to laugh at how completely ignorant that statement is.

........DJ

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
So a computer with "training wheels" has a ready for prime time Unix under the hood and microsoft still can't get windows right.

Yeah, that's why it takes a full time support staff to keep pcs going. The bigger piece of shit the OS, the more job security the liability of a support staff is needed.

I still have my SGI Indi2 running irix on my scanner.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It's that simple.

Folks forget that under the hood, Apple now runs the same CPUs/chips as Windows boxes. A $250 Mac (if one existed) would be at least as slow as a $250 HP and you'd need to shovel out to replace your Windows software (or run Apple's Windows emulation, adding another layer of software making things slower yet.)

TL: DR - there's no 'apples to apples' comparison between a $250 PC and anything from Cupertino, and don't forget costs of switching software platforms.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not a HP fan personally but there could be few things going on. Windows 10 has a major update that needs to load to newly purchased PCs. I just got my daughter an Asus ultralight a week ago and it needed substantial updates. I also built a new W10 machine myself and it needed the same patches. My home build with the faster processor/etc did the install substantially faster.

Thing is a PC of 6-7 years ago of a high quality may indeed still be faster than a lesser tier modern CPU. For example. I have a Lenovo W530 with an i7 in it. The chip is still faster than the brand new i5 7600k I just put in my home build. The i5 chip is around 5-6 years newer yet still has less performance than old generation CPU. You can actually check out CPU performance charts to see this.

So, if your old PC had, say, an i3, i5 or i7 processor and the new super-cheap HP probably has a tablet processor in it, then it could very well be the new computer will do things much slower. Could also be things like a slower hard drive or a not enough RAM. My daughter's Asus was $400 but it's still way slower than my workstation Lenovo from years ago. But that was a $1200 laptop at the time. So the moral of the story is that often it does pay to get some level of performance as the computers will generally have a bit longer shelf life. The super cheap PCs you find in the sub $300 price range can be very hit or miss.

Where issues pop up running old PCs is things like legacy networking standards, slower motherboards/ram and such. Once certain tech gets too old, then it's hard to keep things current without falling behind. Unfortunately, it's tempting to buy one of these neutered PCs and have high expectations.

Anyhow, it's easy to think a $200 PC in 2017 is better than a $1200 PC from 2010. That's often not the case.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Folks forget that under the hood, Apple now runs the same CPUs/chips as Windows boxes. A $250 Mac (if one existed) would be at least as slow as a $250 HP and you'd need to shovel out to replace your Windows software (or run Apple's Windows emulation, adding another layer of software making things slower yet.)

Your post COMPLETELY misses the point. Apples are faster because of their operating system which is FAR more efficient than Kludgy Windows.........dj

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The training wheels are easily discarded and you can take over a powerful BSD machine. Or not. I managed a Windows shop for 20 years, and cannot tell you the joy of having only Mac and FreeBSD to work with now that I've retired.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
What I have noticed on a lot of Windows laptops in recent years is a heavy reliance on cooling fans running at say, 20% as routine in order to cool them. As the dust builds up on the fan blades, the RPMs go down and the thing starts to sound like a hovercraft.
Once dog/cat hair/fabric strands/dust accumulates in the cooling fins, the RPM level gets to a point where the case, motherboard, keyboard get really hot. Once the fans go, that's it for many laptops.

If you have a computer that experiences extreme thermal cycling, the CPU paste between the GPU/CPU and heat sinks can also deteriorate much faster. In short, they are designing them to eventually fail. You can usually pick up the laptop and tell quickly that most of the budget (and many of the “gaming” laptops) have cheap plastic cases. Take a look around at who is using 3 or 4 year+ laptops and which ones are still working.

The laptops that utilize an Magnesium/aluminum/metal case/shell as a secondary heat sink (as in most of the Macbook Pros & higher end PCs) seem to last longer as they are able to shed heat more effectively.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
What I have noticed on a lot of Windows laptops in recent years is a heavy reliance on cooling fans running at say, 20% as routine in order to cool them. As the dust builds up on the fan blades, the RPMs go down and the thing starts to sound like a hovercraft.
Once dog/cat hair/fabric strands/dust accumulates in the cooling fins, the RPM level gets to a point where the case, motherboard, keyboard get really hot. Once the fans go, that's it for many laptops.

If you have a computer that experiences extreme thermal cycling, the CPU paste between the GPU/CPU and heat sinks can also deteriorate much faster. In short, they are designing them to eventually fail. You can usually pick up the laptop and tell quickly that most of the budget (and many of the “gaming” laptops) have cheap plastic cases. Take a look around at who is using 3 or 4 year+ laptops and which ones are still working.

The laptops that utilize an Magnesium/aluminum/metal case/shell as a secondary heat sink (as in most of the Macbook Pros & higher end PCs) seem to last longer as they are able to shed heat more effectively.

Interesting and astute comment!

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:

Your post COMPLETELY misses the point. Apples are faster because of their operating system which is FAR more efficient than Kludgy Windows.........dj

Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
Deep into me second year with my Surface Book. Still love this thing. Working great.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:

Interesting and astute comment!

One of the interesting things about this forum that Para created and mentors is that you have a broad group of people with particular skill sets. Most of these skill sets are "on" all of the time, which means you have folks who observe and don't miss much. Combine that with acquired knowledge and you have people who are capable.

If there's something you have wondered about there is likely at least one person- male or female, on the SF that knows the answer.

(Whether they will choose to post the answer or not is the question).

(The laptop quality thing is easy. There are little gremlins called "design engineers" (they are also known by other names) who live and thrive inside companies and calculate just how much metal/quality materials that can be removed from anything with more than one moving part. Their goal? Make the product last ONE day past the manufacturer's warranty.)

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post