SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Arcane abbreviations in titles of threads
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arcane abbreviations in titles of threads Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
Curiosity finally got the best of me and I went to find out “what’s up with BRP?“ Only one example of many recent threads (“Enhanced CHCL”, “AZ law on AD” are two others currently on P. 1).
I realize your intended audience will probably know what you’re talking about, but please give the rest of us a break.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yeah, ridiculous. My initial guess was BathRoom Piss. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Big Red Potato?

Like you, I am in the AAB*.

* "Anti-Acronym Brigade"

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
They serve as filters for which threads you don't need to open. For example, if you don't know who BRP is, you probably don't have anything relevant to add to the discussion. The particular thread title violates forum rules on vagueness and would been better as: What's up with BRP discontinuing Evinrude outboards?

I wouldn't think CHCL would be too arcane on a gun forum. Posted in the wrong subforum, yes however, which could lead to some confusion.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I was concerned for his Big Red Penis!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Generally, I agree that arcane abbreviations should be avoided in thread titles, or for that matter, anywhere in a post. Doesn't help to use them if others don't understand what they stand for...and I agree, I tend to completely avoid clicking on thread titles that are unclear. It's a big forum, lot of members posting a lot of topics, and many of us don't have the time or patience to click on a thread title, only to find it is about something that doesn't interest us or have anything to add.

I will say that, on several occasions, in an effort to be accurate when posting a thread title, I've had several topics that used more character spaces than the forum allowed and I've been forced to get creative in using acronyms/ abbreviations.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Naw man, it means a Bad Rash in Privates. It only feels like an outboard motor.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I tend to completely avoid clicking on thread titles that are unclear. It's a big forum, lot of members posting

That's the key, right there.

This " school me" on __________,
b.s. got old three years ago.

Then there are those that play the word association game,

Where they see a word or two in the title,
Then
w/o reading any portion of the thread, they just start
writing what ever they want, hoping it may pertain to any aspect of the thread.

Then! there are those that post a thread asking for help information, but refuse to take the time to offer any parameters

Example:
I need an exercise machine, thanks
Roll Eyes

Give me an effing break.
Then we have to ask 6 questions to
Qualify any aspect,

Ok I'am done , unless you want more.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
Generally, I agree that arcane abbreviations should be avoided in thread titles, or for that matter, anywhere in a post.

And this is why, when using an arcane acronym, the first use should be followed by the full name or phrase for which it stands, or the full name or phrase used, followed by the acronym.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
During the years that I worked at Bell Labs, I did a fair amount of technical writing.

It was an absolute rule that the first time that any acronym was used in a document, it had to be defined on that page, either by the expansion in parentheses immediately following the first appearance of the acronym or in a footnote on the same page.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
During the years that I worked at Bell Labs, I did a fair amount of technical writing.

It was an absolute rule that the first time that any acronym was used in a document, it had to be defined on that page, either by the expansion in parentheses immediately following the first appearance of the acronym or in a footnote on the same page.

That is still the general rule. I call out anyone whose paper or presentation I’m peer reviewing for that.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
YATLA - Yet Another Three Letter Acronym

UNA - Use No Acronyms

It took me awhile to find it:
BRP - Bombardier Recreational Products
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...ecreational_Products

It sounds like one of those companies that changed their legal name to the acronym initialism.
e.g. International Business Machines, Pittsburgh Plate Glass, Consumer Value Store

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Eponym,

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Same here. In fact I consider the use of acronyms without the explanation to be rude.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Get those acronyms out of here stat!! Oops, I meant statim!

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think we are S.O.L.

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shotgun Zeke
posted Hide Post
BFD

Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Rifle Instructor

Posts: 640 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or, they forego common abbreviations and use a word that I don't know!

quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Get those acronyms out of here stat!! Oops, I mean statim !

Razz Eek Big Grin
Don't worry, I looked it up, right away.

Posts: 879 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
So you must be BRPing when you LARP.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:
YATLA - Yet Another Three Letter Acronym

UNA - Use No Acronyms

It took me awhile to find it:
BRP - Bombardier Recreational Products
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...ecreational_Products

It sounds like one of those companies that changed their legal name to the acronym initialism.
e.g. International Business Machines, Pittsburgh Plate Glass, Consumer Value Store

BRP has yet another meaning

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/2760007174