SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    New corporate buzzword I’ve learned this week...and never need to hear again....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New corporate buzzword I’ve learned this week...and never need to hear again.... Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
I'm in Atlantic City this week.

"Socialize". ie: "Let's socialize that idea with the staffing committee". UGH

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is not just a corporate buzzword.

I hear many young people using it, including one of my daughters.

“I have been so busy at work that I have not had a chance to socialize this week.”

My response “welcome to the real world.”

The other is “plugged in”

Posts: 1061 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I don't think that's a new corporate buzzword, I think that's simply a case of "You Keep Using That Word, I Do Not Think It Means What You Think It Means"

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah. I've been retired for 2 years and that word was real popular in my office even then.

But, I worked for a consulting firm and they are at the cutting edge of idiotic buzzwords and phrases (remember "change the paradigm"? I think my firm invented that one Roll Eyes). As soon as a new one got introduced, you'd hear it incessantly.

The phrase that irritated me the most was "Is this a good time?" You just barged into my office without knocking and you ask me that as if it somehow excuses your bad manners? Or, you schedule a call with me and yet still ask Is this still a good time?". Mad

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has been common in my wifes business vernacular since she started with KPMG back in 97.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Come on Devil Dog, try to keep up. Big Grin

Been using that as a PM for the last 5-6 years.

Let this squid break it down Barney Style for you; it's saying the conversation between you and I need additional input to ensure we're not letting anything obvious slip through the cracks. (Like rushing up a hill without aerial support from the carrier. Big Grin)

After all, we don't want to screw up the metrics just because we rushed headlong into a situation not fully discussed and digested. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Let's socialize that idea with the staffing committee"

That doesn't even make sense. Confused Completely wrong context.

Posts: 27929 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Maybe, within that socializing, some synergies will arise.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:

Only if you are being proactive not reactive and are willing to shift the paradigm.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Potentiality / potentialities is something I'm starting to see more often, for some reason.

Yes, I get that "potentiality" is a real word. But I'm starting to see this being shoehorned in as a fancy-sounding replacement for "potential" by people that apparently want to sound pretentious.

As in "there's serious potentiality for violence" in place of the standard "potential for violence". Or "that new guy has quite a bit of potentiality" instead of the standard "quite a bit of potential".

Similar to how folks (erroneously) latched on to the real word "fitment" as a fancy-sounding replacement for "fit". "I was really impressed with the tightness of the slide to frame fitment" instead of "slide to frame fit".

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You'll Shoot Your Eye Out!
Picture of MaThGr82
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:

Only if you are being proactive not reactive and are willing to shift the paradigm.

Be sure to gain consensus on your ideation.

Posts: 6302 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Isn’t that one step away from creating joinder?

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or "that new guy has quite a bit of potentiality" instead of the standard "quite a bit of potential".

Posts: 27929 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LRS2
posted Hide Post
Yeah, along with "diversity". (Often pronounced with a lithp) Roll Eyes
Heck, I thought "diversity" meant having multiple calibers and bullet weights stocked up.

Posts: 43 | Location: KY | Registered: April 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post