SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    MRI and claustrophobia!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MRI and claustrophobia! Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have fallen asleep in the mri tube...I’ve had a few mris due to the stroke. Only once had to take meds, and it was because of the pain I was in. I couldn’t lay flat due to a pinched nerve....10mg of Valium and I was good to go.

Last one I had , the guy asked if I wanted something before I went in, I told him to get the cage because I have a habit of falling asleep and moving during the process...he said no one asks for the cage.

All the noise reminds me of the ship and I sleep like a baby. Sorry you guys are having a hard time with them.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dkjbama
posted Hide Post

Posts: 775 | Location: NW Alabama | Registered: January 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
What works for me to some extent is putting a cloth over my face so if I pop my eyes open i see the un-threatening cloth instead of the belly of the robot beast. It works, kind of.

A little over a year ago I got a diagnosis of the big C that required a number of these things so I just tried to strategize to cope.
On one trip I was sentenced to a long session, 2 or three days as I recall, maybe not quite that, but still...so laying motionless with a boiler factory at full volume going on around me, my sissy little cloth over my face I figured a ploy and I started telling myself jokes,a memory game really, and that worked for a bit and then I had the recall of one from here, the forum, that is, and it caused me to get tickled and then I laughed (I'm pretty easily entertained) and that made me move and that made torquemada the torture-tech cranky and I had another, count 'em, 15 minutes added to the session just because I'm a cheerful sort.
Plus I was sad that torquemada was sad. We just do what we have to do.

Posts: 6387 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
My ativan 1mg worked pretty well for me on Monday. No side effects. MY new go to for future MRI's.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I first discovered I was claustrophobic in a car wash of all places. I was riding shotgun and when those flapper things went across the windshield I thought my chest was going to explode. I looked to the side and thought okay I'd get wet but I could get out if I had to. Elevators used to do it to me but not anymore. Weird.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Had one on Tuesday (my third). No problem at all. Was a little over an hour.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
I had one yesterday. On August 29 I woke up with vertigo, it sucks. Still having minor impact so the doc sent me for an MRI. The worst part? They needed to inject contrast dye 1/2 way through. That required an IV. I hate needles and the person who did my IV was not good at it. Three tries. She also didn't know how to insert foam ear plugs and was mildly offended when I pulled them out and did it correctly.

The MRI was a non event. Closed my eyes and drifted off. When they ran the machine after injecting the dye I felt like I was in the transfer scene of Young Frankenstein.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post