SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    MRI and claustrophobia!
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MRI and claustrophobia! Login/Join 
The Constable
posted
NO Idea how or when I started being afraid of being squeezed into a small cylinder. But the discomfort is real.

If there is a next time, I'm opting for drugs.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Guessing closing your eyes before going in doesn’t work? It is awkward for sure.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I’ve never been one to be claustrophobic through many MRIs until the last one on my shoulder. I think the combination of going head first into the machine and the way I was pinned down started getting to me half way through. It took a tremendous amount of mental fortitude to gut my way through the second half. I can completely understand how a person can freak out in an MRI machine.

Posts: 2932 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I think I saw a major hospital a couple years ago advertising an open ended, or some such, MRI to help with that.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had some and had no problem, but one time i had an MRI and had to get out of there. Luckily the nurse knew me as we go to the same church.
She got me out and put headphones and an MP3 player on me and back in. No problem.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
I've had a few in my life for knees, lower back, and kidney stones, never had an issue..
But I got another one on my lower back early this year and it was very uncomfortable.
I never did open my eyes through the 45 minute process.
I guess at 58 it bugs me more than it used to.

Posts: 4354 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
I’ve had three. The first attempt I had massive claustrophobia. The next three times took 10mg of Valium each time.
Did try the wet paper towel over the face. It looked.
The last time they offered headphones. What music? Oh easy listening. I get in and CONTRY MUSIC AT EAR BLEED LEVEL COMES ON! I hit the panic button. The tech and I had discussed things beforehand and the flunky running the music got talked to.
The most embarrassing thing was having my daughter drive one time. The next morning she looks at me and says “Dad, next time can I drive you again? I didn’t know you knew all those dirty jokes!”

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Just had one myself. Maybe 20 minutes? Just tell yourself you aren't getting better without it and enjoy the horrible music.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I'm not claustrophobic but I have a hard time lying on my back for extended periods. I've always taken Valium before an MRI.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I wasn’t bad claustrophobic until my lungs started going south. Now I have to really fight the urge to GET OUT.
In addition to other lung stuff, once a year I have a cardiac MRI. Not only does it take a while, but I have to hold my breath for several seconds during the scan. That seems to get harder each time. Especially if it’s on a “bad day” with regards to breathing.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Having my knee done was easy as I was mostly still outside of the tube.

Having my shoulder done the first time was a bit more troublesome, but I got through it.

The second time I was given headphones and music, and I kept falling asleep! They had to wake me as the snoring was giving a slight blur to the image.

Had to change the music to be a little less "calming" but not to something that would make me want to tap my foot...

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a head and neck MRI a few years ago. 2 1/2 hours head first in the tube, head in the cage. Got pills from the dr beforehand and dozed through it. No way I could have done it without.

Posts: 828 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Drugs, or it's not going to happen for me, if they want a good picture, that is. 2-3 mg of lorazepam is my choice. My PCP prescribes for 3mg, for that procedure only. I get a bottle with just 3 1mg tabs in it, costing a dollar or so. A washcloth draped over the eyes helps as well, and foam earplugs. A driver to and from the facility is required when doing it this way.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The open MRI’s are better. They also can put you in feet first depending on where they are looking. I was put in headfirst the last time and I admit it freaked me out. She pulled me out we tried in feet first and I nearly fell asleep. Sometimes I think the medical community just forgets there are easy options to lessen your discomfort.

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Lots of good advice here. Know if you go south, they'll get you out of there so don't let it eat you up before you go in.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
I think I saw a major hospital a couple years ago advertising an open ended, or some such, MRI to help with that.

Yes, there are open MRIs, which are less claustrophobic.

But they're not able to be used for every MRI purpose, and produce lower quality images. Check with your doctor to see if it's an option for your particular situation.

Posts: 32424 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Sorry dumb tangent: why don’t headphones get affected by the mri machine?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dking271:
I’ve never been one to be claustrophobic through many MRIs until the last one on my shoulder. I think the combination of going head first into the machine and the way I was pinned down started getting to me half way through. It took a tremendous amount of mental fortitude to gut my way through the second half. I can completely understand how a person can freak out in an MRI machine.

I had to do the same before my shoulder surgery. 1/2 of it was on my stomach in the superman pose with one arm extended all the way out. Then on my back raising my arm like I was Horshack. And I had to do both shoulders on the same visit. I forget how long it all took, hours. Right at the end I tapped out. I couldn't take it any longer and luckily the machine operator said they had everything. I told her any longer I'd have to come back another day. It was brutal. Laying in the most awkward fucked up position. Then there is the beeping and banging. The shitty music, shitty headphones. Fuck I hated it.

I did another one for my ankle and it was not bad at all. Those damn shoulders you're all the way in, with your nose near pressed against the tube. Ankle was nothing because they don't slide your torso all the way in.

I can tell you this...I'm not looking forward to more injuries and old age.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
I have been getting a MRI once per year for 20+ years. Never bothered me until about 5 years ago. It takes 20 mg of valium to do it now. 10 an hour before then 10 at the very start. Maybe its just easier. Can take up to 3 hours if they do contrast which is every other year. The valium does the trick, now the problem is going 3 hours without peeing. Hell to get old.

Posts: 1579 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Sorry dumb tangent: why don’t headphones get affected by the mri machine?

The speakers themselves are outside the MRI machine, so it's just an air tube all the way to the headsets themselves.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 769 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post