SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Gossipy employees - and bosses
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gossipy employees - and bosses Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
My god, is there no such thing as 'confidential' anymore?

Working as new district manager in this company I am finding that the company culture is "throw anyone under the bus to save yourself" and that there is a 100% chance that if you discuss a topic with someone, and ask them to keep it confidential, it will be public information within 24 hours.

Even my boss - there is a really ugly HR investigation happening in my district right now, I have not said a word to anyone about it. This morning one of my employees (who is the subject of the investigation) called me because he had received details that even I didn't know about.

How? I asked. He told me that he found out from an employee in a different district, whose boss heard it from their boss. (Huh!?!)

This is the 2nd time I am aware of that my boss has leaked critical information that has come back to bite me. I'm too new to make waves, and she is LOVED by the other DM's because she's nice, and pretty much leaves us alone.

Going to put my head down and just keep driving, but I gotta get the hell out of this place.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is no escaping it. There's always a group that likes to talk.......too much.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
There is no escaping it. There's always a group that likes to talk.......too much.

And then there are those of us who listen quietly in the corner, because knowledge is power.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:

And then there are those of us who listen quietly in the corner, because knowledge is power .

-Rob

Yep, my dad told me those same words. It pays to listen, costly to talk.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Humans have 2 ears and 1 mouth, they should be used in the correct ratio.

But for some reason, lots of people like to hear the sound of their voice... even more so when it's "something I heard..."

I guess it's just the culture, no different than those of legal age I saw at the ice cream store posing for pictures eating ice cream to post on facespaceImsofuckingcoolandimportant I need to take the pic 15 times to get it right...

Attention seeking whores, people have become... if they know something, they talk about it...

I trust 1 person in my life to keep a secret. Me.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
It's like that everywhere I've worked. Sometimes I'd tell someone something off the wall to see how quickly it would spread and how the story changed by the time it got back to me.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
When I was field based, I used to have meeting at HQ every 6 weeks where we would discuss strategy and implementation status. Every meeting would start and end with a discussion about confidentiality.

It was amazing how I could leave the meeting, drive 60 miles to the field office, and hear strategy verbatim from people who didn't attend and didn't need to know. It's one thing to know the strategy for our field office, but they would know the strategy for other field offices too.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
It would be interesting if you ran a few experiments with false information. I'd recommend the type that gets you something you want, but suit yourself.

Also, really makes you wonder about people that believe in huge secrets that have been kept for decades doesn't it? Roll Eyes

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First week at Correction Academy, we were given the advice: "There are no secrets in a Prison".

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aye. If you want to screw with people, confidentially give each person a differing piece of "juicy" gossip. ID each rat in turn. Needless to say, this is not a career enhancing technique, but it's fun as hell.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
My favorite is always senior managements "Open Door Policy". Anything an employee says to senior management at my employer is immediately filtered down to lower level management with names, accusations, etc... There are no secrets and privacy does not exist.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JSB3:
My favorite is always senior managements "Open Door Policy". Anything an employee says to senior management at my employer is immediately filtered down to lower level management with names, accusations, etc... There are no secrets and privacy does not exist.

Recently, at my job, we had a major mgmt turnover.
The "new" upper-manager interviewed each employee about our current manager, with the all glowing "strictly confidential" promise.

Being a older wiser employee, I kept it general, positive and outlined strictly what I would like my direction in career to move in from here, without saying anything negative, about my boss or otherwise.

But, alas, some did not.

And of course, that information was directly fed to our manager, so he knew whom, and what, was said.

And heads will probably roll come review time at the end of the year.

Shame, really, that confidential means nothing today.

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I worked for a company full of high-tech snowflakes (decades before "snowflake" was a term used to describe these rectal orifices) that was a non-stop incestuous rumor mill.

It would have been funny if it had not been so aggravating.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post