SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    In tonight's version of "There should be a law..."
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In tonight's version of "There should be a law..." Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
There should be a law requiring every TV channel to have the same audio output.

Now, I know that my hearing isn't what it used to be. But, when I can listen to one channel with the volume on 10 and hear it just fine, but another channel sounds muffled and requires me to turn the damned thing up to 70 to be able to hear it, it tends to aggravate me just a little bit.

Why in the hell aren't they all the same? There should be a law, dammit!

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
And while we're at it, commercials should be limited to the same volume as the show.

Back in the day, I got REAL tired of Billy Mays waking me up...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That particular law, or perhaps regulation, has failed 3 times at least. I agree with your completely. Failing that, there ought to be a high limit option on the damn tv.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
I recently bought a (ZVOX SB380) sound bar for my tv that has a loudness leveling option.

I still use the mute button a lot and/or walk away while the ADVERTISERS DO THEIR THING.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And why are we paying for programming that has commercials?
Was the idea of pay tv that we had no commercials?

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And include in the law a clause that prohibits local business owners making their own commercials. And triple the jail time if you use your kid in the commercial.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Hell, if you listen to WSB radio, the dumbasses have four different volume levels at the same time.

• Voiceover guy : too F^<*! loud
  • Advertisements : loud
  • Talk show host : decent
  • Guest on show : can't hear them at all....

It has been this way for about 15+ years.

•  
    Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of P250UA5
    posted Hide Post
    When we had cable, FX was the worst, normal volume for a show & blow your speakers loud for commercials.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    And include in the law a clause that prohibits local business owners making their own commercials. And triple the jail time if you use your kid in the commercial.

& using the female auto sales person, who thinks she is hot

& Mattress King commercials

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Rinehart
    posted Hide Post
    I used to work at an NBC affiliate back in the day. Everyone began in production by doing local/network switching. You had to monitor video and audio quality of everything. (And verify that commercials ran without glitches or audio issues).

I do believe there used to be a FCC law that said audio levels had to be constant between commercials and shows. I never saw the law on paper but the guideline was mentioned as a caution.
    But that was then...

Now in everyday life I notice commercials a good two to three bars+ higher than the show audio.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Thank you
    Very little
    Picture of HRK
    posted Hide Post
    Same goes for in movie/show action scenes, FX is the worst, you can't hear the conversation and when the guns come out you fear the neighbors are going to call the cops that a gunfight has started.

Soundbar has the commercial control but it's still very loud compared to the soundtrack.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    while you are at it :

All vehicles approved for street use have to have a fuel filler on both sides of the car/truck.

and

Any electrical tool that can be operated by a battery also must have a plug for a 110v cord.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Fly High, A.J.
    Picture of tk13
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by PHPaul:
    And while we're at it, commercials should be limited to the same volume as the show.

There is such a rule, for all the good it does:

https://www.fcc.gov/media/policy/loud-commercials

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post