SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Being too important to promote...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Being too important to promote... Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
So I have been in the field for 25 years now. A corporate job comes up and I apply. Its not exactly my field, but my experience would directly contribute greatly.

Sorry, your too critical to field operations and we have plans for you.

Yeah I know what your plans are and I dont want it. Of course, when it comes to review time I am just another average worthless POS, but at promotion time I am the lynchpin of the whole world and cant be moved.

Whatever. Sorry, feeling surly.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to a Pro and get a top notch Resume put together and ask your boss to review it. IF yo really are essential to them they'll find a way to move you up. If they don't, use that Resume and find another job.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Doesn't pay to stay where you are not happy, if you can make a good move do it, but plan it out correctly, people are always looking for good employees...

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
They hold all the cards and they know it. This is no time to be looking for a job, espeically in my industry

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It really sucks to be in your position. I'd continue to look for other opportunities......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I worked with a guy who applied for another position in the company= No he was indispensable......Until they hired his replacement.

What industry are you in? It's always good to polish the resume and keep abreast of the opportunities.

Good people are hard to get.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Its not the end of the world, I still have a good job. I dont hate what I do, but Ive been doing it a long time and a new direction sounded like fun and a new challange. And I know I would be good at it

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Its not the end of the world, I still have a good job. I dont hate what I do, but Ive been doing it a long time and a new direction sounded like fun and a new challange. And I know I would be good at it

Express this view to your direct supervisor in a very nice way. Sometimes you get lucky and your supervisor will grease some wheels.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
I would go to your boss's boss and get his feedback on both your work and your boss's statement.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Lack of raises and promotions are the main reason why most people only stay at a job for around five to seven years.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah I know what your plans are and I dont want it. Of course, when it comes to review time I am just another average worthless POS, but at promotion time I am the lynchpin of the whole world and cant be moved.

After watching what they have done over the last five years, this comes as no surprise. As usual, their BS is so predictable.

Posts: 562 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
quote:

We have talked and it is tough in your field right now.

But a new season starts in Diablo III on July 3rd.
Big Grin

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome employment story.

Wayne started working for an auto parts manufacturer ,five weeks after graduating high school.

15 years later he was head of the Dept. And at the top pay grade.

At 22 years the company got purchased, he was the only blue collar worker that did not get a pay cut.

At 25 years he asked for a much needed raise, they gave him half of his ask and 14 more days of paid vacation.

At 30 years he was fully vested and could retire at full pension.

At 38 years the company got purchased once again.

3 times since 1995 they thought the plant would be closing, but it did not.

At 45 years in to the job, he's the oldest employee, with the most vacation time and sick leave.

This August will be his 48th year in the same building.

When people ask him if he will retire,
He asks them " why? Do you want to hire me?"

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you do a good job, they leave you in the same position.

When you fail to do your job, they promote you to a higher position.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sound like a good time to ask for a raise! Smile

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:

this has been my experience!!

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:

this has been my experience!!

It’s called the Peter Principle. Everyone is promoted to their lowest level of incompetence.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
been there, done that, several times when I was in the Gro Biz,

also got promoted a couple times into shitty locations because 'I was a victim of my own success', meaning I had earned a rep for cleaning up shitty stores,

was hoping to get over into a supervisory / training role for perishable depts,

change in managment and structure meant that store managers were never going into those slots, no matter what you previous background was, that was a job for yessir men college folks just starting out

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Similar story, I alternated between two related jobs, one of which involved on the road travel and weekends, usually two a month for three summer seasons. Was given the story "you are an important part of this venture", yada yada yada. When the person in charge of that section left I was given the story "I need you to do this". Despite the promises made, I was pushed out, he hired a new team and I think my cardinal sin was when asked by the new head of that venture for suggestions he did not like what I said, that being how we did things in the past. In fact I was point blank told "well he is not in charge, I am!" Right then I saw the writing on the wall, all that was wanted was a rubber stamp agreement that all was well and he knew all. Soon after I was pushed out, back to my original assignment.

Well his new team started falling apart, three outsiders hired,by early 2017 all had left and my supervisor was left with nobody. He made overtures to me to get back involved, I refused all requests. To the point of considering (as I heard from an inside source) approaching me after I had retired to come back and work in that operation. Even if I had not decided to retire that year I would not have gotten involved in it again, burned and lied to once was enough. Compound that with the limits I had on earnings due to retiring eight months before 66 that would have been a real mess if I had taken the bait.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

Sound like a good time to ask for a raise! Smile

Been there, done that. There's *always* a crisis, and it's *always* "we'll take care of you when things get back to normal".

Voice-over: Things never got back to normal.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post