SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    You get one carry-on and a personal item!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You get one carry-on and a personal item! Login/Join 
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted
I've been on a lot of planes this past year. I just can't help but notice that some people feel that the rules don't apply to them. They'll have their carry-on roller bag and sitting on top of that is another bag, normally about half the size of their carry-on which is really too big to be a personal item. The personal item is supposed to be the size of a purse/briefcase.

Now your personal item is supposed to go under the seat in front of you, but how many people do you think actually do that?

I was waiting for my flight in Denver the other night and this chap had the two bags. The gate agent announced that the flight would be full and that they were going to go around and give people those green tags to gate check bags deemed to large or second bags. This guy pretty much tried to ignore the gate agent when he came up to him. Took the gate agent a couple of seconds to get this buffoon to acknowledge him. Once the gate agent got the tag on the bag and walked off this guy readjusted the tag so it was totally non-visible under his second bag.

I wish the airlines would enforce this rule a little more stringently. I was on a couple of flights where I couldn't find a spot for my bag. On one flight I had to stow it in first class and another time I had to stow it behind me which meant I had to wait until the plane unloaded before I could retrieve my bag and exit the plane.

Once everyone is on the plane and in their seat, if there is still open space in the overhead, then by all means put your second bag there.

These people should be publicly SHAMED.

Posts: 11151 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Yup, it’s awful.
I prefer to stow all my stuff under the seat if I can help it, so I know exactly where it is, and can disembark quickly. I hate watching people rifle others stuff in an effort to shove their oversized carryon in the overhead bin.
I think the attendants have to pick their battles.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
This situation has unfortunately become the norm, at least in my experience. Since airlines started charging a fee for checked baggage, a lot of passengers have tried to get around paying it by bringing everything they can onto the plane. My wife and I carry only one true personal item each, and our tickets allow for priority boarding. We never have a problem, but it seems that we are among the few who try to follow the rules. Apparently the airlines have neither the will nor the personnel to enforce them. So when it’s time to board, the battle for overhead baggage space begins anew. If you are among the last people boarding, you are going to have a difficult time getting your stuff stowed easily. I don’t think the airlines care enough to do anything about it.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 1017 | Registered: August 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roustabout:
Since airlines started charging a fee for checked baggage, a lot of passengers have tried to get around paying it by bringing everything they can onto the plane.

Yes, but at the same time, a good number of passengers have figured out that if they bring ridiculously oversized (for a carry-on) bags or just too damned many, they'll be able to gate check them for free and avoid the $25-30/ea. they otherwise would have had to pay. Those people are also assholes, but at least they aren't holding up the works while the flight crew is trying to get everyone loaded.

That's why I'm ruined forever after upgrading to first class on a cross-country flight a number of years ago. Mrs.BurtonRW and I were checking in online and there was no way I was going to pass it up for $100/ea. Not on a five hour flight. Before then, I was in the, "we're all going to the same place at the same time" crowd. Ha! No more. I'll never fly coach again. Get on first, stow my carry-on, and relax for a bit while I get to enjoy the circus.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never could understand the fees. If you want most everything in the baggage hold, why don't you charge a fee for the carry-on and make checked baggage free?

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brother comes to town, gives me his flight info, tells me he a good deal on a ticket, but had to pay another $60 or so odd dollars for baggage. Hmmm, usually he just does a carry on bag. I give him an addition 20 minutes for the baggage carousel, and head off to pick him up. A call from him on the way, where are you? Wow, you got your luggage already? Short story long, the upgrade was for a carry-on bag and being able to choose his seat. Wow, been a while since I’ve been on a flight other than Southwest.

Posts: 199 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
One reason to stick to one airline so you board earlier.

I always have a roller carry on and my backpack - I have no issues putting my backpack under the seat and the roller overhead, but even then if you are near the end of the boarding process you may not have room for your roller.

Also, airlines are offering more 'budget' tickets for people who don't want to check baggage or have large carry ons. People just don't read the fine print.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s a giant cluster fuck these days. Delta finally changed their app a bit ago and the last few flights I’ve been on the gate agents have publicly shamed those that try to board during priority when they’re actually Main 1 or further down the list. I find pleasure in watching them have to turn around while the gate agent is on the loud speaker reminding everyone to only board with their respective group.

Oh, I try to steer clear of anyone holding a paper ticket too. More often than not they are the casual traveler who have no clue what’s going on.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

I never could understand the fees. If you want most everything in the baggage hold, why don't you charge a fee for the carry-on and make checked baggage free?
GREAT idea! That would make the passenger shuffle in the aisle a lot easier, at both ends of the flight.

IDPA rules say that one of the methods of screening your handgun, is that it has to fit inside a specified box. I have not flown on airlines for many years now, maybe they already do something like this with carry-on. If not, they should!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
IDPA rules say that one of the methods of screening your handgun, is that it has to fit inside a specified box. I have not flown on airlines for many years now, maybe they already do something like this with carry-on. If not, they should!
The airlines had them for years but never used them. I don't see them anymore.

Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

GREAT idea! That would make the passenger shuffle in the aisle a lot easier, at both ends of the flight.

I've seen them but only once seen the rule enforced and IIRC that was overseas.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
I just can't help but notice that some people feel that the rules don't apply to them.

I think this is the majority of society now a days.

Posts: 1341 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Am I the only one that sympathized with poor Gaylord Focker? In all seriousness, yes, flying has turned into just a more expensive trip to Wal-Mart, i.e. visiting a 3rd world country for the 3 hours you're all stuck together on the same flight.

Posts: 486 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with this mess and I always get an aisle seat and just bring one laptop bag (personal item) and never bother with bringing a carryon. Yet there's always people wrestling with the overhead compartment directly over my head trying to fit a carryon that is clearly too big into it. Then the amount of time it takes all of these cheapskates to board and de-board the plane because of the situation mentioned above.

BUT, the airlines brought it on themselves, by beginning to charge for checked bags that used to be included in the ticket price.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I say fuck a carry on. I check 1 piece of luggage with all my clothes. On my person is a backpack with anything of value in it. I loathe the cheap fucks who jam up the overheads with all their bullshit. If you can’t afford $50 to check a bag perhaps going on a trip is too costly. Do a road trip.

Man do I hate flying. As soon as I am dropped off at the airport, it’s like the circus on steroids. The screaming children, people taking way too much shit with them, the got damn comfort animals. 3 ring circus.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
I say fuck a carry on.

Hard pass on that. Sometimes I've flown with only a carry on, depends on the length of the trip.

Also, there have been times my checked bag has been lost but at least I was smart enough to pack 1 set of clothes in my carry on.

I do agree that flying sucks though. Ok, not the actual flying but the hassles that go with it.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:

They did do this back when I used to fly some, so at least 25-30 years ago or more. Problem 1 was if they were hurried, they didn't bother to enforce use of the fit/no fit dealy. Problem 2 was different airlines used different sized bag checkers. What would fit at one airline would not fit at another. They weren't different by much, but enough so it was hard to standardize your carry-on so it would fit all.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarms229:
quote:
I say fuck a carry on.

Hard pass on that. Sometimes I've flown with only a carry on, depends on the length of the trip.

Also, there have been times my checked bag has been lost but at least I was smart enough to pack 1 set of clothes in my carry on.
Same here. 6 day trip or less, I just take a carry on, 7 or more and I typically check a bag as well.

Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I'm cheap. I fly Allegiant. Personal item is free and carry on has a fee as well as checked bags. So we have bags designed to fit under the seats. I also get a free pass for my CPAP machine which may be a little larger than what the OP considers personal. It does have a pocket I can fit my Ipad in.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
Yup, it’s awful.
I prefer to stow all my stuff under the seat if I can help it, so I know exactly where it is, and can disembark quickly. I hate watching people rifle others stuff in an effort to shove their oversized carryon in the overhead bin.
I think the attendants have to pick their battles.

The attendants should pick their battles! Every knothead that violates the rules should be made to comply, or get off the plane! I am tired to death of having to wait for a bunch of self-absorbed idiots trying to get the crap in the overheads, under the seats, etc, when it is clear that the crap will not fit there.

Problem would be solved if the flight crew simply enforced the damned rules!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post