SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    NWS, A function of our government
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NWS, A function of our government Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted
And of course, unreliable.

0251, Wx radio goes off with a severe thunderstorm WATCH.

0630, thunder begins, I roll out of bed, start the coffee and go to the office to check the radar on the computer. Normally, I go to the AWC (aviation) weather page. Of course with Wx in the vicinity, the server is down.

God forbid, we get something useful for our tax dollars.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
This one?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I like to compare NWS with Weather Underground. Once in a while, they agree on what is going on, and that's when I believe them. For the most part, though, NWS is more accurate for where I live. Until you get into the monsoon season here (July-Sep, usually). Then it is anybody's guess.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I live in central Florida between Tamp and Orlando. The weather on the Tampa or Orlando news hardly ever cover our area. We have to rely on the internet sites. I use the National Weather Service, Intellacast and one called Mikes Weather Page. This is how I can always hope one is working and to confirm what to expect.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
This one?

Yah, dat's da one. Back up around 0700 CDT AFTER the storms rolled through here.

<EDIT> I should add that this is the anniversary of the terrible tornado that struck Enterprise in 2011. Naturally, early morning storms torqued our bunghole a bit down here.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
quote:
This one?
Yah, dat's da one. Back up around 0700 CDT AFTER the storms rolled through here.

<EDIT> I should add that this is the anniversary of the terrible tornado that struck Enterprise in 2011. Naturally, early morning storms torqued our bunghole a bit down here.
This one is useful, too: http://maps.avnwx.com.

Enterprise AL? Is that where you live? Isn't that the town that has a Boll Weevil monument?

There's a story about that.

It seems that there are two varieties of Boll Weevil: a large one, and a small one.

Not many people know about the large one, but nearly everybody has heard about the lesser of the two weevils.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Thanks. That a useful site. Bookmarked for the next round.

No, I am north of Montgomery and yes, there is a boll weevil statue in Enterprise IIRC. Doubtful the city council will pull it down a la NOLA.

Thanks for the site.

RMD

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not many people know about the large one, but nearly everybody has heard about the lesser of the two weevils.

*GROOOOOAN*

Posts: 15890 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post