SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Shop leaves the flywheel dust cover off when doing a clutch job
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shop leaves the flywheel dust cover off when doing a clutch job Login/Join 
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
There was never any slipping of the clutch. It was having problems disengaging at times and then it just went totally out.
I see. And it is still doing the same thing? How was the thing even released to you?

If the clutch won't disengage and you can't push the pedal, there are several things that can do this: a disintegrated throwout bearing, a broken release fork or pivot, and hydraulic cylinders (usually the slave) sticking. Sometimes the front bearing retainer, on which the throwout bearing slides, can be worn down, which makes the bearing tilt and push the fingers unevenly causing poor disengagement, or it can have a groove or shoulder worn in it, which will make the bearing stick. These things should have been obvious while the transmission was out.

That makes sense of what happened concerning the throwout bearing. There was no problem with the slave cylinder.

One person pulled the transmission and another mechanic put it back together. They were having a hard time bleeding the slave cylinder and probably did not have the proper tools. It is hard to bleed and you need a hose going into a bath of brake fluid to keep from sucking air back into the cylinder. I was thinking about getting one of the valves with the spring loaded ball for the slave cylinder.

The owner does not seem to be too bright and also was in a bad mood. I see why he didn't want me in the garage area seeing what was going on. Now he is trying to tell me that I was told about the flywheel cover. The part number is 15589619 if you know of a possible source. Thanks

The clutch operates OK but it has to been pushed all the way to the floor. I sometimes think the slave cylinder rod is not long enough by 1/2 inch or so.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
The clutch operates OK but it has to been pushed all the way to the floor. I sometimes think the slave cylinder rod is not long enough by 1/2 inch or so.

It would be nice if we could add length to the pushrod, but it sounds more like it needs more/better bleeding. This system can be difficult to bleed.

Posts: 27836 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 226Reasons
posted Hide Post
Try http://www.car-part.com/

You may be able to find the part from a yard on there, might even be local.

Posts: 1327 | Location: TN | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Yesterday for $125, I had the local Chevy dealer look at the truck on a lift and document what was wrong and the cost to fix it. They wanted to redo the clutch job and use Chevy parts for $1944. Big Grin Are they serious? No wonder people get ripped off by the dealer. That is twice the price the job should have cost.

The gas lines were missing the retainer and hitting on the transmission, exhaust system has been cut causing the catalytic converter to rest on the frame cross member, dust cover on transmission is missing, protector on transmission wiring harness has not been mounted causing wires to melt, and shifter boot above transmission is missing.

The owner is totally responsible for letting this go out the door. So I will sent the findings by the Chevy dealer to Visa and let them decide to not pay him. They have already credited my account.

I need my truck to do a lot of work before winter so I will be constrained by the weather due to water getting in the clutch area so in the end this has costs me money.

The real problem is finding a dust cover for the transmission. The holes on the transmission were in good shape and I didn't see any broken bolts unless they were higher up on the transmission. I may look at cutting a piece of tin for wrapping around the transmission and covering the lower area and make the top edge bent towards the oil pan to hold it in place plus using the lower two bolts.

Thanks 226Reasons, the car-part looks like a possibility for finding a cover.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

It would be nice if we could add length to the pushrod, but it sounds more like it needs more/better bleeding. This system can be difficult to bleed.

Yes, I think there is still air in the line. In the past, I used a plastic tube between the bleeder valve and placed it in a container of brake fluid so no air could be drawn back into the line.

This clutch job gets the award for the worst job I have seen in 56 years of working on vehicles. Some transmission people I have talked to noted that they have seen worst jobs but they didn't elaborate.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yesterday for $125, I had the local Chevy dealer look at the truck on a lift and document what was wrong and the cost to fix it. They wanted to redo the clutch job and use Chevy parts for $1944. Are they serious? No wonder people get ripped off by the dealer. That is twice the price the job should have cost.

True, perhaps, but I bet they give it back to you intact and properly repaired.... Razz

Good luck - that's an epic goat rope, and you are well and truly just out of luck with the originally screwed up stuff. The second repair is likely going to cost more than it should no matter where you go, due to repairing the repair. Heck, much of your description above is just that! Incredible.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
The gas lines were missing the retainer and hitting on the transmission, exhaust system has been cut causing the catalytic converter to rest on the frame cross member, dust cover on transmission is missing, protector on transmission wiring harness has not been mounted causing wires to melt, and shifter boot above transmission is missing.

quote:
Yesterday for $125, I had the local Chevy dealer look at the truck on a lift and document what was wrong and the cost to fix it. They wanted to redo the clutch job and use Chevy parts for $1944.

How much of that is repairing or replacing all those screw-ups, over and above the normal clutch job? I know it's easy to spend other peoples' money for them, but you'd most likely have a proper, lasting repair when finished. What price tag do you put on that?

Posts: 27836 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
They didn't give me an individual price for the messed up items. I can fix most of that myself. They can't get a flywheel dust cover which is the most important item since it has been discontinued. They want to redo the whole job with GM parts.

If it had happened here, I would have pulled the transmission myself. Parts would have been around $350.

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
UpDate...Visa ruled in my favor but I still have not found a dust cover.

I will probably not hear anymore about this due to the Chevy dealer write up.

I looked at the line that connects the slave cylinder to the reservoir and it is in three pieces with a hose as the center piece to take care of movements of the line. So due to age, the the hose is ballooning out and full pressure is not getting to the slave cylinder.

Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
There has got to be a dust cover somewhere in a salvage yard. I don't often go to the salvage yards anymore but they are all connected by computer and someone somewhere should have one even if you have to buy the old tranny with it.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of goingbroke
posted Hide Post
It is sad, but just about 75% of all the real mechanics have died and retired out.

Most dealerships and garages now have "kids" and ill trained so "technicians" working in them who don't have the correct knowledge, training, and experience to a certain make or model of vehicle let alone all of the types on the road now.

Dealerships are the same now. A dealership might have one, or two, mechanics that can accurately diagnose and fix a problem. Most dealerships hire young "grease & oil jockeys" to move the cars through the service line.

Most Mom & Pop Shops are long gone. Then you have the shops owned by the independents who know what the hell they are doing, can fix anything, stand behind their work, don't have comeback's, put all the parts back on the cars they took off so your wheel doesn't fall off or your cotter pin doesn't come out of your steering box bolt but these are getting fewer and fewer.

Cheap, cheap, cheap...this is where you get what you pay for! They are parts replacers to repair your ride. They take your old part off, clean it up, and stick it back on. Half-asser's and who-doer's!

It takes money to own and operate a mechanics garage. A reputable garage will be clean and organized. The place will have modern computers and equipment as well as old school stuff to fix anything as far as automobiles and light duty vehicles. Most garages will have invested upwards up to a couple hundred thousand dollars in tools and equipment (for one man) and several more thousand if others work there.

I have been in the towing business 27 years and you know which shops here can do what and which to dodge. Dealerships are the same way...the ones that really piss me off are the ones that want to pay my bill and add 25 to 30% to the customer! I always give an option for the customer to pay first.

Always, always, always check your work from any mechanic but hopefully you have found one you can trust!

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." - Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 5055 | Location: South of Atlanta | Registered: July 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Have you tried LKQ for the part?

Posts: 6339 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
See if this is correct.

https://www.wholesalegmpartson...778400/15732511.html

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
The part number for the flywheel dust cover is 15589619 which is used on a MG5 5-speed transmission used from 1988 to 1995.