SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    That Was It...I Just Took Down My Smoke Detectors!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

That Was It...I Just Took Down My Smoke Detectors! Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

Something is wrong if they're doing anything other than chirping on low battery....

They are functioning as designed and unfortunately it's not just chirping on low battery..... all 5 go off at full shriek at the same time.

Please name the hardwired together with battery back-up smokes, that when one battery is low, only that one does the occasional chirp?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
quote:

Something is wrong if they're doing anything other than chirping on low battery....

They are functioning as designed and unfortunately it's not just chirping on low battery..... all 5 go off at full shriek at the same time.

Please name the hardwired together with battery back-up smokes, that when one battery is low, only that one does the occasional chirp?
You keep using the phrase "full shriek" which confused me and possibly others. 5 chirping at once is annoying (I've had 10 at once), but it's not a shriek like the alarm or alarms going off. If you truly have 5 shrieking you have something else wrong.

Like I previously posted, I'd replace with the built-in 10 year battery as it matches the recommended life of a smoke detector, and eliminates the yearly time on a ladder.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I have a monitored system that has a hair trigger. The wife was grilling outside and you could smell it in the kitchen. I thought about closing the door. I should have.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Every single one I've ever seen the one with a low battery chirps only. I've never seen one that alarms when the batteries die. As I've said at least three times, yours are broken and need to be replaced. IF they are actually working as designed somehow, then that's even more of a reason to replace them.

I've linked in previous page a very inexpensive model that you could solve this problem with. I'm not sure why you insist on degrading the safety of your house and trying to reinvent the wheel instead of replacing the defective units.

It's only $60 to replace them all. Add $200 to have a electrician do it. Heck I'll do it for free for you if you live in Charles Town or Ranson.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
To the OP, I JUST replaced about 5 of the "battery only, 10 year battery life" units. Every one of them was less than 18 months old, and they all were chirping from a dead battery. They had a sealed lithium "10 year battery" in them. Basically, the battery only ones are straight up GARBAGE. Whats better, a wired camera or a wireless, battery powered camera? Clearly having a steady reliable power source is good for electronics.

What you need to do, is replace each and every one of your smoke detectors with a wired unit, with battery backup. This is the best option.

Disconnect the interconnect wire if that feature annoys you.

I repeat, DO NOT replace them with battery only. They suck balls. And many of the new wired ones use AA batteries for their battery back up, so easier to keep spare batteries around than 9V.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
tatortodd it's not a chirp, or 5 chirping smokes. What occurs is one starts (chirp or shriek I don't know) then within a millisecond the rest all full volume shriek together 100+db each as if there was a fire. Imagine you, your companion and both dogs, being sound asleep when 5 smokes go off at literally defening shrieking! And they continue while you fumble for the lamp, the dogs are barking at the disturbance, your ears hurt, your friend has the pillow over her head but yelling "is the house on fire"? I'm sick of putting up with them doing this they're now disconnected and removed. If/when they make an AC only smoke, or an AC with rechargeable back-up battery which is kept charged from AC I'll try them, for now it's one simple battery smoke, or maybe some "battery with AC back up" unit that chirps. Never again any that "communicate"!

quote:
quote:
quote:

You keep using the phrase "full shriek" which confused me and possibly others. 5 chirping at once is annoying (I've had 10 at once), but it's not a shriek like the alarm or alarms going off. If you truly have 5 shrieking you have something else wrong.

Like I previously posted, I'd replace with the built-in 10 year battery as it matches the recommended life of a smoke detector, and eliminates the yearly time on a ladder.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
To the OP, I JUST replaced about 5 of the "battery only, 10 year battery life" units. Every one of them was less than 18 months old, and they all were chirping from a dead battery. They had a sealed lithium "10 year battery" in them. Basically, the battery only ones are straight up GARBAGE. Whats better, a wired camera or a wireless, battery powered camera? Clearly having a steady reliable power source is good for electronics.

What you need to do, is replace each and every one of your smoke detectors with a wired unit, with battery backup. This is the best option.

Disconnect the interconnect wire if that feature annoys you. (His are broken, his problem has nothing to do with the communication wire. He should just replace the malfunctioning ones with one's that work as designed.) Disconnecting their communication reduces the safety and is a code violation of you want to get technical. It would also need to be fixed later to sell the house.

I repeat, DO NOT replace them with battery only. They suck balls. And many of the new wired ones use AA batteries for their battery back up, so easier to keep spare batteries around than 9V.

Yes the 10 year sealed ones are crap and die at a rate at least double the AA or 9v ones.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Has anyone ever had their smoke alarm start chirping during daylight hours. I swear, they ALWAYS decide to chirp in the middle of the night.

Posts: 13231 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post