SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Cable "On Demand" degrading video signal
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cable "On Demand" degrading video signal Login/Join 
Picture of cne32507
posted
We have Mediacom cable and their "On Demand" (OD) service knocks down the video quality from the original 1080i to 480i. This causes the edges to "stretch" to fill the screen. When the camera pans a scene, it nearly makes me dizzy. Not to mention the loss of detail and sharpness. Catching up on a Showtime series is a good use for OD, but hell, I can hardly stand it. I have an excellent TV, but it's kinda like shooting crap ammo in a finely-tuned SIG. (made pistol reference Smile )

Does your cable service do this also? Do you think Mediacom will give a shit if I complain? Am I OCD?

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I have Cox and they don't do that. I would call and complain.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
That does not sound normal at all. I'd be on the phone with tech support and demanding they fix it ASAP.

Posts: 33606 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
Doesn't happen to me with Comcast Xfinity -- unless the On Demand content is only available in 480i.

Posts: 1265 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes you are able to choose between HD and SD for OD programs, make sure you are choosing HD if it gives you the choice. One thing I deal with on a daily basis (I work for a "hated" cable company), is that people think WE are in control of the on demand (whether hd or sd or charged). I tell people that if we could provide each channel in HD, and every show OD for free in HD we would, because that would trump everyone else.

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Doesn’t happen for me on Verizon Fios either

Yes it would piss me off

Yes I would complain

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Went to Mediacom's local office today on the way to the range. Nice lady said my cable box is too old, bring it in. I did bring two of them by after my shooting, and she gave me two Arris DCX700. Hooked them up and .... no love. Still 480i On Demand. Looong call to an Indian woman who couldn't help but promised a tech would fix it on their end in 24-48 hours. Asked for a file # in case I had to call back. She assured that she had documented everything. I asked for a file or issue number again. She gave me the 855 call in phone #! I just groaned and hung up.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
On demand with DTV is in HD but can't ff through commercials

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Finally got to the bottom of this. Nope, regular HD cable box doesn't carry Showtime/Premiums/Series/Billons in HD. BUT! a TiVo box does.