SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Trimmer carburetor from ebay quit. Where to get a good one?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trimmer carburetor from ebay quit. Where to get a good one? Login/Join 
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted
My trimmer needed the carburetor changed. I bought one of ebay from one of the Chinese businesses. It works until trimmer starts warming up then it sputters and dies.
.....you never know with those China things :/

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I find that the primary advantage to after-market carbs is that the EPA adjustment lockouts have been eliminated.

Have you tried tweaking the mixture adjustment?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Mixture needs adjusting.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
The idle speed may also need to be brought up some if its running when chocked.
Bring the idle speed up then adjust the mixture and bring the idle speed back down if needed.
I have bought several of these china carb kits and have had no issues once adjusted.
The cost savings is good.
It I had to pay state prices I'd probably just trash the unit and buy another trimmer.

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I replaced the carb on my Echo trimmer a year ago. It was $15 on Amazon. Seems to work just fine.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I finally got tired of cheap junk trimmers. Went and bought a Stihl from my local dealer. Bought an extra six pack of oil and they gave me an extended warranty of like two or three additional years... Never had a trimmer with a warranty before.

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I have never seen a small engine that didn't require or at least benefit from a carb adjustment after break-in or for your particular fuel source or from 100° summer to freezing winter use. My local Stihl dealer told me it was "illegal" for him to sell me an adjustment tool for my chainsaw. Said I had to bring it to him. So I ordered one from Amazon.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BDA220
posted Hide Post
Went through all this with three different small engines this summer.
I tried the cheap carbs with poor luck.
Instead, I bought carb kits, Walbro or Zama, and rebuilt the OE carbs.
Also, starting next season, I am done using pump gas with ethanol. I am going to find a local source for ethanol free fuel.
I stored all these engines for the winter with a fill of TruFuel.

"Strange days have found us, strange days have tracked us down." JM

Posts: 807 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BDA220:
Went through all this with three different small engines this summer.
I tried the cheap carbs with poor luck.
Instead, I bought carb kits, Walbro or Zama, and rebuilt the OE carbs.
Also, starting next season, I am done using pump gas with ethanol. I am going to find a local source for ethanol free fuel.
I stored all these engines for the winter with a fill of TruFuel.

Some of the best advice in this thread. Lose the alcohol.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I can't answer the original question, but it really pays to find a source for ethanol free fuel. I have a chainsaw, weedeater, and push mower that have run for better than 10 years now with no maintenance at all. I run ethanol free fuel and add Sta-Bil for Winter storage. None of them have ever failed to start within 2 pulls when I pull them out the first time in Spring.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you checked to see how much a carberator is from the dealer? It might not cost too much.

Sounds like yours just needs the high speed mixture screw adjusted out a 1/4 turn or so. When it is hot, put the choke half way on and see if it stays running at speed. If so, the mixture screw needs to be adjusted out a little to provide more fuel flow.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post