SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Mail / emails / Calls - Is the NRA bothering you more lately?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mail / emails / Calls - Is the NRA bothering you more lately? Login/Join 
No ethanol!
posted
About 10 years back I learned how to get off the list for all those mailings and calls. Things were great.

Within the past 2 months seems they unilaterally ended the truce. I've gotten emails, mailings, phone ringing off the hook. Anyone know what has changed?

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1991 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
They be hungry!

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Any tips for getting off the list? Seems like being Patron Life Member makes them come after you even more!

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
They be hungry!

LOL

Truth.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lcbjr77
posted Hide Post
I've been getting so much mail from them lately, insurance, credit card offers, Life Lock....WTF?

----------------------------------
Walther PPS M2

Posts: 1863 | Location: CT | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Yep, I get something from them almost every day. I'm an expert at getting rid of junk mail and deleting junk email. As far as calls are concerned, they are my ignore list but 1 or 2 get through in a months time.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Any tips for getting off the list? Seems like being Patron Life Member makes them come after you even more!

I am Patron, but when at Life member I called, and got alive person who knew who to ask. I told them I was aware there was a way to remove members from the routine solicitation, advertisers, and calls. They agreed to remove me from all but the most dire initiatives. I was down to 3-4 calls a year. Now it's almost every week, mail, and though I never got emails before, I'm getting 2-5 per week. So, I'm going to call the member # again and express my displeasure.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1991 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I have their shit sent to my PO BOX - dump it in the trash before I leave and then block their phone numbers.

Life member, they already got all they gonna get.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
No

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
Life member here and also NRA instructor. I buy Lockton Insurance through them for my outdoor range.
I never hear from the NRA. Praise God!
I also never submit my students info for any of my CCW classes because I don't want them to bother my students either.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1110 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Only mail lately and I can deal with that. IMO, the NRA has yelled "wolf" too many times, and they can only prey on my vanity for so long. I am a Benefactor life member, so there are no more ribbons to pin on me.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
Yes, because I haven't renewed.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4779 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
When they morphed from being an advocate into a money grubbing machine, I quit them. The the resulting peace and quite suits me just fine.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Not a single call, email, or mailing (other than the monthly mag) from them in over 10 years. Lifetime member. Shrug?

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I called them several years ago and asked to be removed from all marketing calls and emails. Just call the NRA main number and request to be taken off the marketing and other emails and calls.

I only get the calls regarding legislative bills being heard that are a big impact (about 1 every couple of months), and I only get the same on the emails. I get some of the Instructor emails and benefit emails, but they are far less intrusive that some of the stores that send me their marketing (I'm working those down one store at a time).

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At least, they're not asking you for "just $19 a month" yet. I have been an annual member for about 50 years. I get very little from them. Say what you will about the NRA but without them, you'd be trying to figure out how to conceal carry a bow and arrow.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No, they aren't bothering me, because I don't give them the opportunity to do so.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
I set my preferences through my online account and get no junk mail, no junk email, and no calls.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From their online FAQ:

Q: How can I reduce the amount of mail I receive from the NRA?

A: Simply email us at membership@nrahq.org or dial 800-NRA-3888 and request to be placed on the "Do Not Promote" list. This will significantly reduce the amount of mail you receive without affecting important mailings, magazine service, or your membership renewal.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Every time this subject comes up, it follows the same basic pattern. Some NRA members complain of being harassed for money. Others say "All you have to do is opt out". One or more NRA members then come back and say "Yeah, I tried that but it didn't work. I'm still being harassed by the NRA."

Every single time. Years and years of countless threads on the subject, and it's the same basic pattern each and every time.

I would think that by now, those of you who think that getting the NRA to stop soliciting for donations is as simple as asking the NRA to cease would have at least some inkling that this does not necessarily work.

I have been witness to the pattern I've described more times than I can count. Over and over in this forum, those of you who think the NRA can do no wrong seem to simply ignore what some of your fellow NRA members are telling you.
Do you think those members who say that "opting out" hasn't been effective for them, are lying to you? Or is it that you just choose to ignore what you're being told by multiple sources because you've decided for good and all that the NRA does not and would not behave in this manner?

Forget about your personal experiences with solicitations by the NRA. Really, I would like to know the reason for the apparent inability of some of you to acknowledge what others are telling you. It seems to me that if you have read these claims from some of your fellow NRA members, you have only a couple of choices- either you can believe that these members are truthfully stating their own experience with NRA solicitations, or you can choose to believe that all these people are lying to you...or that all these people are incompetent to such a degree as to not be able to click a button on the NRA website or dial the NRA's phone number and state the desire to opt out.

To those of you who say that opting out is simple and effective- no one is saying that you are not telling the truth about your personal experience in this respect. What I am saying to you and what some of your fellow NRA members are saying to you is that the NRA is wildly inconsistent in how they treat requests for opting out. Why in the world can you can you guys not understand this?

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post