SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Enough With the IRS Scam Calls!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Enough With the IRS Scam Calls! Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted
The past two days I have received 5 calls a day with a voice message saying there are problems with my tax return and I will be picked up by local police as there are 4 warrants for me so I need to call them to work things out. I block the number and the numbers they call from keep changing. I have reported all of the numbers to the IRS. I am sick of them calling. I called them back and told them I was recording our conversation for criminal prosecution as I am a criminal investigator and they hung up on me. They still called again after that. Mad

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
I received one of those calls on my cellphone the other day. (!) I blocked it.

Posts: 12178 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I used to like to keep my cell phone on 24/7, but after too many of this or other types of bogus calls, unless I want to make a call or am expecting one, I've been leaving the sumbitch off altogether.

Posts: 27922 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
The past two days I have received 5 calls a day with a voice message saying there are problems with my tax return and I will be picked up by local police as there are 4 warrants for me so I need to call them to work things out. I block the number and the numbers they call from keep changing. I have reported all of the numbers to the IRS. I am sick of them calling. I called them back and told them I was recording our conversation for criminal prosecution as I am a criminal investigator and they hung up on me. They still called again after that. Mad
You're doing it wrong.

In a thread about this scam, several months ago, there was a suggestion: Tell them "OK, you got me. I'm tired of running. It's over. You can come and pick me up. I'll be waiting in front of the house. You won't need to use handcuffs, I'll come peacefully, I just can't keep running any more. I'm ready to face the music."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30640 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
You're doing it wrong.

In a thread about this scam, several months ago, there was a suggestion: Tell them "OK, you got me. I'm tired of running. It's over. You can come and pick me up. I'll be waiting in front of the house. You won't need to use handcuffs, I'll come peacefully, I just can't keep running any more. I'm ready to face the music."

Haha....love it.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have gotten two e-mails in the last month purporting to be from Bank of America wanting to "verify information". They look very official with BOA colors and logos. In both cases, I called BOA, who denied any knowledge of them. In one, the word "security" was spelled "sucurity".

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
We got hit with that IRS scam just the other day. And, yeah, they said the police will be at our door if we didn't call the number.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5034 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
As I understand it the calls are from India and spoofed to be from the US. Unlikely to be stopped quickly if at all. I personally hope for capital punishment and Predator strikes.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5962 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Latest one is they spoof a legitimate IRS collections phone number and suggest you call that number as proof of legitimacy. You call, get an IRS phone system, hang up. Scammer calls you back a few minutes later. Now you are convinced he's legit. And off you go.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
"You'll never take me alive."

Click.

Block.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I get various scam calls fairly often, I guess I should start messing with them more. I like the idea of leading them on for awhile. If I’m in the mood, I answer. Do they think we give a flip when they say, ‘this is a recorded line’?

I had a friend fall for that IRS scam a year ago. He became worried and then froze himself up some. I don’t know if regular blocking helps, they seem to scramble the number they seemingly call from.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Step 1: Stop answering numbers you don't know.

Step 2: Keep a .22 pistol with a low power powder-actuated concrete nailer cartridge (aka a blank) in it handy. If you inadvertently pick up on one of those calls, tell them it's not worth going on any longer, pop off the blank, and drop the phone.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31422 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
"You'll never take me alive."

Click.

Block.

I e used this very response many a time. Big Grin

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Instead of ignoring or blocking the calls take them. Waste as much of their time as you can.

The more of their time is wasted by those who know what they're up to, the less they'll be able to steal from those who don't know any better.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last year I got a couple of suspicious emails weeks after I had filed and gotten my tax refund back. So I sent them an email back telling them "I'm a Federal Law Enforcement officer and have forwarded these emails to the Local FBI Office and local IRS Office." Actually did forward them to IRS. Haven't been bothered since,

James

This message has been edited. Last edited by: depusm12,

We the unappreciated
must do the unimaginable
and see the unthinkable
to protect the ungrateful

Posts: 801 | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Troll
posted Hide Post
I 'never' have these problems.

How's that?

I don't answer the phone if I don't recognize the caller.

I do have an answering machine, but if they care not to leave a message (and they seem never to do so) I don't bother concerning myself about their message or them.

You who are concerned: Stop!

If they're legitimate, you'll know soon enough, but if won't be by phone. They don't work that way. And, no, I don't mean storm troop tactics either.

You'll get a letter...

Posts: 261 | Registered: May 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I got one the other day and they blocked me so that I couldn't call back. Big Grin

They needed to "pull my file". My name was Ufooque Goetz with a birthday of January 33rd, Nineteen O Fifty Two. Took up at least 15 minutes of their time.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still have a home phone, all calls are answered by my answering machine, if they don’t leave a message (and most don’t) I can’t get back to them, if it’s not someone I know I do not return the call. Same drill on my flip phone.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig M11
posted Hide Post
I LOVE these calls...I will keep them on the line as long as possible...

How much money do I need to pay?

Am I in trouble?

How do I get the money to you?

Just drag it on and on and on...

Always cooperative and willing to do whatever I can to avoid getting in trouble, but I just can't go to Walmart for a GreenDot card. They are sold out.

Run through all the options.

Waste as much of their time as possible.

These scammers making these calls work for a bigger Boss and he is going to be pissed that the "IRS Agent" isn't bring home any cash after a call that long.

Posts: 1406 | Location: Wilmington, Delaware | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post