SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Could there be any worse printer than the
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Could there be any worse printer than the Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
Canon Pixma MG6320? I mean, no matter what I do it has to think, wait, think, spool up, run some kind of printhead cleaning utility, fire up the level detector, tell me I am about to be out of ink, and then, only then, print the job. Literally five minutes of nonsense for three pages. And, of course, the paper tray holds only three pages so I have to reload it now.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I swore off inkjet printers a couple of years ago. If I REALLY need something printed in color, I'll take it somewhere.

Once you go laser, you'll never go back...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I've got the PIXMA MG3620 that while it is pretty slow on the startup and loud (it runs through a series of clicks, whirs and gyrations before it prints) it is far less hateful than my old Epison printer that it replaced (I truthfully beat it with a big hammer much like the scene in Office Space)...

The following pretty much sums printers up...they were sent from hell to make us miserable...

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/printers

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I had (note the past tense) a "Kodak" (name used to sell the product, actual manufacturer Funai) branded printer that would shut down every function when an ink cartridge ran out. This was bad enough, but what really burned my ass was when I wanted to print a page of black text and it refused to do so until I replaced the color cartridge. I still kept it until it took a shit. With some trepidation I bought another of the same brand but a different model. This one doesn't do that, and makes much better color pictures to boot, but does still have an annoyance.

Posts: 27949 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I swore off ink jet probably 15 years ago. They cost a little but more up front, but they're cheaper in the long run. Both in per page costs, and overall ownership. Especially if you print only infrequently, the toner cartridges don't dry out. The text is also crisp and professional.

If I need a photo printed, then I have those printed at Costco.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
+1 on lasers.

I just bought one of these: http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/...-laserjet-pro-m452dw

It will be here next week. I picked up a 4 pack of replacement toner for it as well, but I'll probably never need them. The last laser printer I had died before I used the original toner - and I had it for 15 years.

I bought an hp all in one scanner/copier/printer, ink jet, from Walmart for like $69. I've already spent more than double that on ink and I've not even gone through an entire ream of paper. Piece of shit. I can't wait for this laser to get here.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I had 3 or 4 inkjet printers over the years, but after I had problems with cartridges leaking and just plain failing, I saw an insanely cheap deal for a Samsung Laser printer and grabbed it. I thought it died after 10 years+ after a series of power issues, but it turned out it just needed to sit a while and it was back in business. When I thought it died, I bought a Canon MF216n laser all in one, and finally got it out of the box a few days ago. I looked at the receipt and I bought it almost 2 years ago! It fired right up and so far, no issues at all. Prints very nicely and the scanner, unlike my two previous stand alone scanners, worked great on the first try. The Samsung is staying in the closet as a backup.

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
+1 on lasers.

I just bought one of these: http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/...-laserjet-pro-m452dw

You'll like it.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Canon Pixma MG6320? I mean, no matter what I do it has to think, wait, think, spool up, run some kind of printhead cleaning utility, fire up the level detector, tell me I am about to be out of ink, and then, only then, print the job. Literally five minutes of nonsense for three pages. And, of course, the paper tray holds only three pages so I have to reload it now.

Yes Epson can be worse, much worse, potentially excellent printouts but the greatest ink wasters known to man and don't EVER let the print head dry up.
With luck you may be able to clean it (or not).

quote:
I swore off inkjet printers a couple of years ago. If I REALLY need something printed in color, I'll take it somewhere.

Once you go laser, you'll never go back...

^^^ This times 1 million.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I have a Lexmark E232 and looking at the dizzying number of refilled or 'compatible' toner replacement units out there is kind of mind numbing. Is there a retailer out there ya'll trust to buy toner cartridges for laser printers? Even if it is good experience with a 'refiller'. The new ones run about $180 minimum with most over $200. My wife doesn't want to put more money in my laser printer and keeps eying inkjets at Costco.

Maybe we could wait till we want to print something, pickup a cheap deal inkjet, print our docs and sell it on ebay to try to get close to a break even cost. Just buy them on deals and never keep them.

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
YES! The Kodak series of color ink jet printers. Ask me how I know.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
Maybe we could wait till we want to print something, pickup a cheap deal inkjet, print our docs and sell it on ebay to try to get close to a break even cost. Just buy them on deals and never keep them.

Many years ago my (now deceased) Dad and I were looking at printers in a Best Buy store.
There happened to be a Lexmark representative there at the time and we started discussing ink jet printers.
In reference to less expensive printers he said, it was better to simply buy another printer when the ink ran out.
I am certain his employee discount factored into his statement but the bottom line was and remains they make their money off of the ink.

With the smart chips now implanted into the cartridges, they can even turn off the printer if one cartridge is low.
This is another of my gripes with Epson, if I have plenty of black ink and want to print out a black and white document, why am I locked out from using the printer because the yellow ink cartridge is low?

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve 22X:
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:

Many years ago my (now deceased) Dad and I were looking at printers in a Best Buy store.
There happened to be a Lexmark representative there at the time and we started discussing ink jet printers.
In reference to less expensive printers he said, it was better to simply buy another printer when the ink ran out.
I am certain his employee discount factored into his statement but the bottom line was and remains they make their money off of the ink.

With the smart chips now implanted into the cartridges, they can even turn off the printer if one cartridge is low.
This is another of my gripes with Epson, if I have plenty of black ink and want to print out a black and white document, why am I locked out from using the printer because the yellow ink cartridge is low?

I, often times, need to set up temporary production offices on location and it as such having a working printer is always part of this but we burn through ink at alarming rates...A few years ago I was at Walmart prepping for a job and I saw they have a Canon inkjet printer on clearance for $29.99...easy decision, I bought a bunch of them and just tossed/donated when ink ran out

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:

I had a Pixma 4200, and was never so glad to get a Brother wireless HL-2270DW. The Pixma had many long gyrations to complete before printing a single page, wasted a ton of ink, never seemed to work right when needed, and I got tired of filling the damn cartridges.

Brother has been nearly flawless, nice sharp printing, fast, cheap non OEM refills that last forever, and I'd never get another printer that was not wireless. If I needed color printing, I'd spring for color laser, NEVER inkjet again.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
I had an Epson once that I hated with such a white-hot detestation that I put it in a garbage bag and ran over it with my truck, left it in the bed until I drove by Office Depot and plopped it in their dumpster.

It was the Hillary Clinton of printers, deceitful, useless, loud, obnoxious, wanted me to spend all of my money on it and didn't do what it promised anyway.

Posts: 6390 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
I have been tossing out the cheap Canon PIXMA printers when they run out of ink for years.

I am ready to toss my current MG3222 and open...
drum roll...the NIB MG6320 sitting in the corner of the office. Another $29.99 spent.

I never learn and I'm too old now to start!!

Posts: 4028 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post