SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Peter Poppoff and his “Miracle Water”.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Peter Poppoff and his “Miracle Water”. Login/Join 
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patriot:
In my generation it was Ernest Angley...

Same schtick...

Ol’ Ernest, with his poor fitting suits and cheap hairpiece used to amuse me.

Posts: 12179 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Continuing to take advantage of the ill, disadvantaged and vulnerable of this world. Somehow he survives.

Sure wouldn’t lose sleep if he ceased to be a drain on the oxygen supply.

Posts: 12179 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
The thing is that Scientology makes Poppoff look like a choir boy.
Now they really know how to fleece ya. Frown

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
James Randi exposed Poppoff as he has others. In his book “Flim-Fram” he ends it as people are leaving a Poppoff event. A young boy, in a wheelchair, is crying. “He didn’t chose me. I was good enough. I didn’t have faith.” This is the cruelty that Poppoff spreads. Truth is, the boy never had a chance Poppoff provides identifiable wheelchairs and only selects those.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
I've seen this commercial, the guy is a scumbag. But if you think mail order miracle water is going to improve your financial standing... is it too coarse to say you're an idiot (elderly excluded).

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shiftyvtec:
is it too coarse to say you're an idiot (elderly excluded).

Although it isn’t necessarily true that half of all people are of below average intelligence, it is true that many, many of us are. But, just like the color of our eyes, pure intelligence is not something any of us have any influence over: it’s simply a matter of chance dictated by factors beyond our control. So if someone is an idiot, it’s not his fault.

But although lack of intelligence may affect whether someone falls for such pitches, that’s not the only, or even the main reason. Countless very intelligent people have for as long as humanity existed accepted religious or spiritually-related claims that were—and are—just as outlandish as “miracle water,” if not more so. And such claims are accepted for no other reason than that someone who calls himself a religious authority says they are true. The only difference is whose claims we accept and whose we reject.

Nor is the fact that the elderly are more prey to such claims due to our suddenly becoming stupid at some age. Cognitive abilities often decline with age, but if anything that’s often compensated for by the wisdom gained by experience. The reason so many old people are more likely to accept religious claims is because we are far more aware of our mortality and the approaching end of life than younger people are. And because of that, many of us become desperate and search for, and are willing to accept, miraculous cures for our problems, whether they are our pains and diseases or it’s to have enough money to keep the wolf from the door.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My theory is that every TV evangelist is an atheist. If they were really religious, wouldn't they fear God's wrath in the afterlife for all the innocent people they had ripped off ?

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
wouldn't they fear God's wrath in the afterlife for all the innocent people they had ripped off ?

That is a puzzler, isn’t it?

It didn’t, however, start with teevee evangelists. “Holy people” (as The Lord of the Dance song calls them) have been ripping off the ignorant for at least a couple of millenniums.
I won’t get into an argument about it, but I believe that in addition to the people who clearly don’t believe what they preach to others, the fundamental Christian belief that we can be forgiven any sin (except blaspheming the Holy Spirit) is also part of the reason. And yes, I am familiar with all the caveats that apologists cite to claim that “forgiveness for anything” doesn’t really mean what it says. Nevertheless, some people clearly do believe the basic message without any caveats.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
My theory is that every TV evangelist is an atheist. If they were really religious, wouldn't they fear God's wrath in the afterlife for all the innocent people they had ripped off ?

I doubt very much he actually believes in the faith he says he represents. I would think if he really believed and feared eternal wrath he’s either insane, stupid, or both doing what he does.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3967 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Dante, in Inferno, describes the Nine Circles of Hell. The outer circle is reserved for the unbaptized, then the second circle for lust, the third for gluttony, and so on. The closer you get to the center, the greater the sin. Inside the ninth circle is the center of Hell, and the Devil himself, and this is the place where charlatans like Popoff reside, because the center of Hell is reserved for those guilty of the sin of personal treachery against God.

Jesus did not meet Popoff's ilk in the temple where he threw out the money changers. Jesus met Popoff's ilk in the desert.

For a man to use God to take advantage of the sick, the weak, the lonely and the lost is the greatest of sins.

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Dante, in Inferno, describes the Nine Circles of Hell. The outer circle is reserved for the unbaptized, then the second circle for lust, the third for gluttony, and so on. The closer you get to the center, the greater the sin. Inside the ninth circle is the center of Hell, and the Devil himself, and this is the place where charlatans like Popoff reside, because the center of Hell is reserved for those guilty of the sin of personal treachery against God.

Jesus did not meet Popoff's ilk in the temple where he threw out the money changers. Jesus met Popoff's ilk in the desert.

For a man to use God to take advantage of the sick, the weak, the lonely and the lost is the greatest of sins.

Very well put.

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Continuing to take advantage of the ill, disadvantaged and vulnerable of this world. Somehow he survives.

And does very well at it, too.

I got over getting excited/disgusted at these asshole long ago.

That happened when we actually had Jimmy Swaggart visit our church on a Sunday morning.

I got a first hand view/experience then. Any money I/we donate to advance Christianity, or for some aid to people will be done directly, not thru some charlatan's money grubbing nonsense, on TV or not.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
quote:
Originally posted by Muddflap:
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
No, this weasel claims financial gains will be yours with the purchase of a teabag sized packet of his miracle water. Don’t know if you’re supposed to drink it, pour it over yourself or what.

I think you misunderstood him. He said financial gains will be mine if you buy the water.

Big Grin That’s funny, right there.

Yes.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I'm probably gonna go straight to hell for this, but I think it's hilarious and I believe God DOES have a sense of humor. Just go to youtube and search "the farting preacher". Hilarity will ensue. Yeah...I know it's juvenile. Razz

You're welcome.
Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
I'm probably gonna go straight to hell for this, but I think it's hilarious and I believe God DOES have a sense of humor. Just go to youtube and search "the farting preacher". Hilarity will ensue. Yeah...I know it's juvenile. Razz

You're welcome.
Big Grin

Don’t get me started about Robert “God is like a Coke machine.” Tilton. That tape you reference to came about because he treated the employees of the television station he taped his programs at like crap and then compounded the insult by not paying what he owed, so they put together that tape. Don’t get me wrong, I found it amusing, too and it couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy.

posted Hide Post
I remember seeing one of his infomercials and he was explaining about why the $27 dollar was important.

Something about how 2 represents XXX and 7 was how many days XXX took.

Amazing that people fall for this shit.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
Now the water is getting people off of drugs and alcohol .

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
My parents kept account of their expenses in 4x6 spiral notebooks. After my father passed away, I found over $30K in $1K cash withdrawals from his account over a period of several years.

One of the neighbors was taking him to see his father who was a preacher in Harrisonburg. My conclusion was that he extorted the money from him for the church.

In addition, I have caught them on the property taking stuff without permission. They had borrowed one of the snowblowers and had planned to keep it until I intervened.

There is a special place in hell for people like them.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
A fool and his money and all that...

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
A fool and his money and all that...

It’s not as cut and dried as that. Many/most of the people this POS bilks are elderly. He’s the worst of the worst.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3967 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post