SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The incessant chop chop chop sounds from the kitchen
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The incessant chop chop chop sounds from the kitchen Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
Onions, carrots, squash, zucchini, whatever it is, the chop chop chop sound the knife makes on the wooden cutting board is so wrong. What happened to slicing? Why not rock the knife through the item? I am going to look for soft rubber mat that fits under the board and maybe then I can hear the TV showing the laying of the wreath at the Tomb Of The Unknown Soldier.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Had an old girlfriend who'd chop things rather than rocking the knife through them or slicing like I do. Used to drive me nuts.

It makes a mess, there is no precision to it whatsoever, all your pieces are of different sizes, and it just doesn't make any sense to do it that way.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
It's because they see t on TV. Shows that are on the food network, etc often show chefs making the same sounds but there is a big difference... they are slicing not chopping. They are doing it so fast that often all you see or hear is the knife hitting the cutting board.

Grab this book if you want to sharpen your skills (no pun intended).
https://www.amazon.com/Masteri...id=1510418283&sr=8-2

I often give people copies of this book as gifts. It also included a DVD.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope I die before my wife so I never have to listen to silence from her kitchen.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I hope I die before my wife so I never have to listen to silence from her kitchen.

Damn, hit me right in the feels.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
My wife uses a dull knife on a plate to saw stuff up.
Ugh. *dink* *dink* *dink*
Won't use a cutting board.

Dammit, I HOPE that wasn't one of my good knives! Eek

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just can't get my fiance to keep knives out of the washing machine and learn proper technique on a cutting board. My solution was to buy her inexpensive commercial knives from Sams and let her use them as she wants. She doesn't use my fine hand forged blades.

Her food still tastes great. :-)

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
It has been a long battle over noise in my house and consideration for one another remains a casualty of that battle.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
My wife does this too. Her mother does it with extremely dull knives on a glass cutting board. Hard on the ears.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Samurai Delicatessen?

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
It has been a long battle over noise in my house and consideration for one another remains a casualty of that battle.

If the sound of a knife on a chopping board is enough to set you off I can hardly imagine what your reaction would be to my upstairs neighbors!

Pick your battles wisely. To be honest the sound of a knife on a cutting board seems a foolish one but that's just my humble opinion.......dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:

Damn, hit me right in the feels.

Yup, me too. At least she’s still cooking for you.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the various sounds of cooking coming from the kitchen, it means delicious food will be on the menu for supper.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have to tell the wife, mitts off the Victornox & Global, you want to play lumberjack in the kitchen with carrots & chicken....that's what the Cutco is for.

Posts: 199 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the_sandman_454:
I like the various sounds of cooking coming from the kitchen, it means delicious food will be on the menu for supper.

Yep, I'm confused by the issue. Wife is making food, unless it tastes horrible there is no problem. I do all the cooking, when she makes her Philippino food, or other recipes, I just enjoy the good food.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you'd go nuts at my Apt. ,I can hear the lady down stairs chopping once a week and the lady across the hall chopping twice a week.

The counters and cupboards amplify the noise , I want to ask them to fold a bath towel and place it under the board. ( between the board and counter top)

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Don't complain too loudly, or your wife might quit cooking altogether! Eek

My wife tends to make a mess when she cooks, and she doesn't know how to use a knife properly, but I just grin and bear it and enjoy the meal she has cooked for me.

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Don't complain too loudly, or your wife might quit cooking altogether! Eek

My wife tends to make a mess when she cooks, and she doesn't know how to use a knife properly, but I just grin and bear it and enjoy the meal she has cooked for me.

^^^^ this all the way.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
you'd go nuts at my Apt. ,I can hear the lady down stairs chopping once a week and the lady across the hall chopping twice a week.

Maybe you should knock on the door with a bottle of wine?

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe you should knock on the door with a bottle of wine?

Bottle of jack and couple glasses might be a schoose better Big Grin

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post