SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Armadillos!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Armadillos! Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted
It's not like I don't already have enough things digging up our yard. Mad

I've heard these things were in Missouri, looks like the Mississippi is not enough to stop them. I never saw a live one when I lived in Houston, just the occasional road kill. Beyond the leprosy, should I be concerned?

Sorry for the low quality pic, storms moving in and dark.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The nine-banded armadillo also serves science through its unusual reproductive system, in which four genetically identical offspring are born, the result of one original egg. Because they are always genetically identical, the group of four young provides a good subject for scientific, behavioral, or medical tests that need consistent biological and genetic makeup in the test subjects. This is the only reliable manifestation of polyembryony in the class Mammalia, and exists only within the genus Dasypus and not in all armadillos, as is commonly believed. Other species that display this trait include parasitoid wasps, certain flatworms, and various aquatic invertebrates.

Posts: 2538 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
Here in Georgia, we sell them to Yankees driving south to Florida down I-75 as possum on the half-shell.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Don't worry about the leprosy issue unless you plan to kill and clean them for cooking. Eek

Pick any dead ones up with gloves and dispose of them. Yes, they will dig your yard up looking for worms, grubs. You can shoot them but aside from that, their only known natural predator is the automobile!

Good luck,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
They don t really hold their breath and walk across river bottoms.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're here in large numbers, also, and seem to be replacing possums as the road kill of record for this area. Re the river stopping them, they apparently swim very well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Live traps work well if they are causing a problem. I read an interesting article about why so many end up as road kill. When they see the vehicle bearing down on them it triggers a reflex to jump which means they strike the undercarriage. End of story. Other animals duck I guess.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They will rip your yard to shreds in one night . And they return to the same area repeatedly . They are hard to trap because you can't bait them . You use boards to "channel" them into the entrance as they root along . Personally , I find that my CZ 452 with CCI Quiet Ammo works pretty well and the neighbors are none the wiser .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Taste like pork.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
Take it out when you can.

Posts: 1312 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Well, according to local folks, it turns out armadillos have been around here a couple years or more. The county animal control guy had no good advice but did say he'd seen one crossing the JB Bridge some time ago. Red Face I can see that bridge from our house.

So yeah, taking them out seems to be the best advice. I'm pretty sure I can get away with subsonic ammo or a ball bat, shovel, something.

Question about potential disposal. I have woods on three sides, some low, just dump them? Bury them? Are decomposing dillos more of a threat than any other medium sized animal?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
I love armadillos! I'm just enjoying your photo while I hum to myself and blissfully ignore the rest of the thread. Cool

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
95% of people naturally immune to leprosy. So risk is low.

Still, no desire to play with one, unless it's at the other end of a barrel.

Posts: 199 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall seeing some 1200+ FPS air rifles on the market, decent prices. I suspect a 17 or 22 cal traveling at 1200 FPS would do them in. Then pick up the bodies and deposit them in some commercial trash bin.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
I seem to recall seeing some 1200+ FPS air rifles on the market, decent prices. I suspect a 17 or 22 cal traveling at 1200 FPS would do them in.

I have both a Gamo and a Stoeger that fit that category. Work great on tree rats, but they haven't learned how to up-armor yet. Can't say how they'd work on a dillo.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Treat the yard for grubs and other underground insects, they will leave when there is no food source

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is on Weds night at 7PM in Iowa:

http://site.iptv.org/series/88...re/3409?d=1492646400

Hotel Armadillo
Lizards, coati, peccaries and more animals spend time in a burrow made by a Giant Armadillo.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature...madillo-about/15186/

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
They don t really hold their breath and walk across river bottoms.

I don't know about rivers, but I have personally seen an armadillo cross a creek. It was about 10 feet wide and probably 4 feet deep at the spot.

Posts: 3425 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
They are a huge problem. A .410 works well.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post