SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Stay away from recent production Remy 870's.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stay away from recent production Remy 870's. Login/Join 
posted
And likely any of their shotguns. Sold an 870 20 gage youth model that I kept as a house gun to a co-worker because his son is now old enough to have his own shotgun and 870 20 gage youth models seem to be unobtainium locally.

So, Cabelas has a Remington Home and Field kit with 18.5 and 30 inch barrels. Means I can have a House gun AND something in 12 gage for shooting Trap. Picked one up today and found it's a near perfect pointer for me. Shot the best two rounds of Trap I've ever shot. BTW, new to shotgun sports so getting over 50% hits is a big deal for me and 15 out of 25 is reason to dance a little jig.

Just one problem. The chambers in both barrels are OVERSIZE. About 1 in 5 shots I had to Mortor the shotgun to get the casing to eject. Those that I could eject without excess effort were only about 1 in five with all the tweeners requiring a moderate to good bit of effort to eject. Got home and started checking the fired hulls and found that a lot of the case heads had the diameters bulged out. Meanwhile fired hulls from my CZ 712 semi will darned near fall into the chambers on the Remington barrels. As for the fired hulls from the Remington, in the CZ chamber it requires the use of a hammer to get them into the chamber and a long piece of 1/2 inch dowel to get the hull out.

Nice job Remington, what was once one of the most reliable firearms on the planet is now a complete Jam-O-Matic and it's all because you no longer see the need to use a simple GO/NO Go Gage to check the chambers.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Remington has been middling to shit for a while.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've got a Wingmaster from the 70s and an Express from the 80s. Both excellent shotguns. I don't think I'd buy anything new from them though.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I did a side by side comparison recently and bought a Mossberg. Besides, Remington still owes me for a case of dud .38 specials.

Posts: 17142 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXjUb4ad2EA

I used the steel wool method. Wrapped some around a wire bore brush with a little oil. Slick.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
call them, they will fix it,

meanwhile, stay way clear of the 870 supermags,,, they are worse

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Surface finish on the chamber is fine in both barrels, the problem is they are too damned big. Cold formed brass is work hardened and as a result it will exhibit some Springback after the pressure drops in the firing event. However if the diameter in the chamber is too large that Springback range can be exceeded and when that happens the case head will take a "set" at the diameter of the chamber. End result is enough friction between the hull and chamber that extraction requires enough force you have to mortar the shotgun to get the hull free.

To put it very simply, polishing the chambers won't solve the problem. BTW, if I were to decide to polish the chambers I would do it properly, with a diamond based polishing compound on a felt wheel.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
And back in the winter, I had to choose between the Shockwave and the Remy. I've owned an 870 and it was good, except it was made in the early 60s. So I bought the unknown which I'd heard nothing bad about. Seems I made the better selection.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stay away from recent production Remy 870's.

Welcome to 2010.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
Surface finish on the chamber is fine in both barrels, the problem is they are too damned big. Cold formed brass is work hardened and as a result it will exhibit some Springback after the pressure drops in the firing event. However if the diameter in the chamber is too large that Springback range can be exceeded and when that happens the case head will take a "set" at the diameter of the chamber. End result is enough friction between the hull and chamber that extraction requires enough force you have to mortar the shotgun to get the hull free.

To put it very simply, polishing the chambers won't solve the problem . BTW, if I were to decide to polish the chambers I would do it properly, with a diamond based polishing compound on a felt wheel.

Well, a simple "polish" with 0000 steel wool wrapped around a bronze 12 gauge brush attached to a drill cured my Walmart 870's sticking. Took about 10 minutes total. Learned to shoot skeet with it, now I have a nicer gun. I have seen several new skeet shooters experience 870's stickup over the years. It seems this is a common problem and the 870 forum seems to agree that it is a common problem, among with many others, and new 870's are not too good on QC. But it's your shotgun; throw it in the trash if you wish.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put 25 brand new 870P 14" shotguns in service this year. No real issues.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Was it Chowser who posted the thread sometime in the last year or so about one of his department’s new 870P’s had a magazine tube guide ring snap clean off the barrel and another one had a canted front sight bead?

Yeah, Remington shotguns have gone in the shitter. I put together an 870 Wilson Combat Border Patrol budget clone in 2007 with an Express made in 2005. Even then, the quality was wholly unimpressive, especially compared to my late 70’s Wingmaster.

Posts: 17122 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I polish every single 870 chamber that I come into contact with.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Over the last 3 years we’vr Put about 100 870s into service. About 75 Magpul edition Expresses and about 25 Police models.

The Expresses have a failure rate of over 50%. The sticking rate is probably at 80%.

The Police models have been fine.

Every gun we get in gets a chamber home, rails get loctite, extractors get changed, front sights get inspected for glass.

Most major failures we’ve had are barrel lugs separating from the barrel or, in 2 cases, the lug itself cracking and the barrel falling off.

Also a couple lost ejectors.

Posts: 6363 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I have 3 870 Police Magnums. I'll be takin' a dirt nap long before they wear out. Buy a used one. Lots of police turn ins out there. Slap on some new furniture of your choice, those old warhorses got fired about once a year.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post