SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Brand new tire takes a roofing nail..bummer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brand new tire takes a roofing nail..bummer Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
Take it to a top line tire shop and see what they think. Don't plug it yourself, let them decide if a plug/patch will work.

If it's next to the sidewall as stated, tire shops aren't going to touch it, even if it's possibly repairable. They don't want the liability of a "maybe" or a "probably".

Posts: 32426 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eons ago, in the late 60s, I was leaving downtown Houston headed northwest. As I was accelerating to speed on the freeway, I saw what looked like a box of confetti crumpled against the inside guard rail, its contents strewn across the freeway.

It was only as I was almost on top of the mess when I realized it wasn’t confetti. Ir was roofing nails. It was too late to stop. I just kept the pedal down hoping to make it to the next exit after curving west onto I 10. Luckily there was a service station at the exit. I pulled in as the last of the air in three tires was gone.

Luckily, it was the days of full” service stations and they did tire repair.

As I sat there waiting, multiple cars pulled in behind with flats as the roofing nails took their toll. It was a big mess!

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
get a small tube of E-6000 adhesive and glue it in place , one application , and then 36 hours later another application

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Also this thread takes me back to how much I appreciated having Goodyear run flats on the first vette I bought. I didn't even know that the tire had a flat until it showed zero pressure on the instrument cluster gages. Since I had an extremely demanding job I couldn't have the tire fixed for 2 days and drove it locally on zero pressure. Up to speeds of 50mph you'd never be able to tell.

One CAVEAT though, as the front and rear tires were two different sizes you cannot ever rotate, and the rubber was soft on the Goodyears so at 11,000 mi when I had them replaced the sticker shock for all four could give you a heart attack!

They may have got cheaper and better rubber but this was a new car in 99'.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just1tym, yep still have my 99 Vette. I replaced my Goodyears with Kuhmo tires and a can of Fix- Flat.

They don’t stick as well, but were significantly less expensive. I’d rate them about 90-95% as effective as the GY’s.

I don’t push the speed anyway.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: maxdog,

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:
Just1tym, yep still have my 99 Vette. I replaced my Goodyears with Kuhmo tires and a can of Fix- Flat.

They don’t sick as well, but were significantly less expensive. I’d rate them about 90-95% as effective as the GY’s.

I don’t push the speed anyway.

I had a great time with it, I'd confess though, I couldn't help but stretch it out to 168mph once and only once, on a lone stretch of straight single lane east of HAFB that was a fast 10mi straight away. It was quite a beast for a factory car.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
Take it to a top line tire shop and see what they think. Don't plug it yourself, let them decide if a plug/patch will work.

If it's next to the sidewall as stated, tire shops aren't going to touch it, even if it's possibly repairable. They don't want the liability of a "maybe" or a "probably".

This is true, NTB or some other chain won't touch it. But find your local independent tire guy. I have found that nails in the shoulder are generally fixable if they are straight in and out. Your local guy will plug it and patch it, and it will likely be just fine. What is the worst that can happen, realistically? It doesn't hold air. They used to plug and patch holes like that all the time.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just1tym same here. When the car still was young I confess to the same thing. Scared me. Pushed it a few times on twisty country roads too. You’re right, what a beast.

Got that outta my system.

posted Hide Post
My tire guy says nails are almost always in the rear tire. Front tire hits it and flips it vertical for the rear tire to run over.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
update on my tire,

plugged,

it's fine,

no issues no drama with it,

when I take it in for inspection (my tire company does that too) I'll ask them about a patch, if they think it is better

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Could always be worse. 2017 New Year's gift to me.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Pulled this puppy out of the left front tire, two blocks from the tire shop. Plug and patch, good to go.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Could always be worse. 2017 New Year's gift to me.

Either that's a really small tire, or a really large spike! Eek

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Wife called and said the car was making a noise, but she checked the tires and they looked good. I get there, walk around the car stopping at the passenger front tire and say "Honey, I found the problem." She asks "How did you find it so fast?"

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
Either that's a really small tire, or a really large spike! Eek
Maybe off of a stake-body or snow plow or tow hitch? Yes, it was a big chunk of steel. I was at a Y and sort of drove through slush in the middle for a few feet, then heard it. Whump-wump-wump-wump-wump. Held air fine, though.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post