SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Influenza Type A just plain Stinks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Influenza Type A just plain Stinks Login/Join 
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted
It's been many years since I've had the flu and I do get the flu shot every year.

However, my doctor tested me yesterday and I was positive for influenza type A.

It started Monday AM with a really bad non-stop dry cough. Tuesday's coughing attacks were even worse so I called the doc and took the earliest appt on Wednesday.

Never checked my temp on Monday but after I got home on Tuesday I had a 101.5. Since then the lowest it's been was 100.5 and the highest was 102.5.

I am utterly miserable and hope the Tamiflu starts working son.

Posts: 3714 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I think it depends at what stage the flu is at when you start Tamiflu. Be cautious, I understand that can have some weird side effects, not necessarily physical, but mental.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5299 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
The last time I had sho'nuff FLU, it was Flu A. They had vaccinated for "B" that year.
Anyone that shows up witha sniffle and says "oh, its just a touch of flu" is wrong.

Other than food poisoning, I've never had anything knock me down like the flu.

rest, fluids and STAY HOME!
Hope you get better soon.

Posts: 6297 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have often wondered, exactly how do they test you for the flu? Is it a swab of the mouth? I honestly do not know.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MagicHorse:
I have often wondered, exactly how do they test you for the flu? Is it a swab of the mouth? I honestly do not know.

It's a nasal swab.

Q

Posts: 26322 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
12131 is spot on.

Nasal swab that goes way up your nose. My eyes teared thereafter.

They add a liquid to a "litmus" type paper that is contained within a plastic shell. The plastic had pre-delineated spots for "A", "B", and "C".

I'm just glad the generic Tamiflu is working. This morning is the first time my temp has been in the 98's.

Posts: 3714 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What do they swab for intestinal flu? Just wondering.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Regular old Influenza. How quaint. You have to keep up with times.

And no, h2, I'm not minimizing what you're going through.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Tamiflu can have some odd physical,side effects as well. I took it for the flu a couple of years ago and it cleared up the flu symptoms EXCEPT the diarrhea, that it actually extended several days.

Posts: 1500 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dkjbama
posted Hide Post
Flu shot last fall plus the new antiviral xofluza on the 2nd day of symptoms and I broke the fever in 24 hours. Tamiflu sucks, but is better than nothing.

Posts: 775 | Location: NW Alabama | Registered: January 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Get better soon.

I got the Flu two years ago. Think it was Influenza A. They did the nasal swab. Fever was 102 at one point.

I can't remember being sicker ever before. Having the full-blown Flu is no joke. It knocks you down for the count.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16387 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
What do they swab for intestinal flu? Just wondering.

They use a much longer swab.

"Moon River..."

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43859 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Flu AND Corona are going around. What if you got bitch slapped by both? We just had a local doctor die of it, and another doctor now has it. It’s more wide spread than thought...

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
When I was tested for the flu the doc tested for Influenza A,B,C (at least that was how the test kit was labeled).

I was positive for A and so they did not bother testing for corona.

However like you said Bubbatime, you could get the regular flu and corona too.