SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Going for a Covid test tomorrow.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going for a Covid test tomorrow. Login/Join 
Picture of rtquig
posted
I have a sore throat and backed up sinus. So when I tell the school I need a day off today for a cold, they insist i get a covid test. This means I can't return until test result comes back negative. Usually 3 day return. Also my wife can't go in until my tests comes back, and my daughter that is working there while on winter break for college cannot also work. My wife will get paid, My daughter and I that get paid per day won't get paid even though we were scheduled to work.I have literally have been in school for the last two weeks and no where else. If I have Covid, I contacted it from the school. We have had both students and teachers in my school contract the virus at school and miss 12 days of school. If it turns out negative, I'm considering not going back to school until I get the two vaccinations.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I'd check this website to see if you need to be paid for your involuntary time off.

Department of labor

Hopefully your test is negative!

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
A sore throat & backed up sinus doesn’t seem high on the Covid symptoms list, though it does vary. Don’t know if you had any wiggle room with work, once a possible Covid, the requirements are there.

I had Covid back in Oct, just called in sick, had vacation time, never got tested. I stayed home too. The list from work once Covid potential keeps growing, I didn’t want to get tangled up with it.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
This has been a constant nightmare for us.

We have around 90 people in my division at work. At any one time we may have 5+ that are out, waiting on test results. Usually either due to a contact with someone who has had a contact with someone who tested positive.

And, like you, usually there's at least one out that has called out sick due to normal winter cold symptoms (that before they most likely woul have just worked through), and our COVID protocols result in them being out until they can get test results back.

It's a huge PITA.

Of the 90, about 60 are needed to cover 24/7. Losing 5 or more on a cycling basis is a huge staffing issue. It's like human Tetris.

The loss in income is especially frustrating in your case. If you feel fine but aren't allowed to work because of an internal policy, you are effectively being penalized with no recourse. Very frustrating.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I've already decided that any sick day I may need going forward is going to be for a twisted ankle...

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
On Friday our school district sent out an email stating they will not allow teachers to use sick time due to Covid exposure. I get paid only when I work, but my wife is under union contract. I only go to two of our high schools to limit my exposure. The two schools that I attend have approximately 35 teachers. Of that, I know of 7 teachers that were/are out due to Covid traced to their students.
We need to close until this spike passes. We teach 5 days a week, the students are split up and attend class every other day and are virtual at home. So depending on your student schedule, you will see in person one group 3 days one week and two days the next week.
This sucks for the learning process, but soon there will not be enough staff to cover in person schooling.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Funny you posted this, I'm in the exact position.
Left work early Wed, sore throat congestion. Urgent Care gave me the test, "go home stay there, you'll get your test results by Sun". No fever, pulse ox levels ok, I just feel like shit. Boss said work from home (I can do everything but answer the phone). I sure hope I test negative. Hopefully back to work Mon.

Just got the results: No Rona.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kz1000,

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
For those who don’t know, my title is Associate General Counsel at a rather large public school system here in Maryland. Mrs.BurtonRW and I went to Florida for a little R&R after Christmas - all of three days. Came back and per Lockdown Larry (Gov. Hogan’s) current directive, got myself tested. I would have ignored it, but there are a series of questions I need to answer honestly to get into certain venues where I practice, and I will never lie to the court. So, completely asymptomatic, I tested positive. This email I sent yesterday to my boss (the General Counsel) is self-explanatory:

Good morning, [Boss].

As you are aware, I was tested for Covid-19 per the Governor's order last week (12/31/20) due to a brief visit to Florida over the Christmas break. I was asymptomatic at the time (and remain so), but tested positive. As a result, I was required to remain isolated for 10 days. I continued to work full time, remotely, and although my work process was slowed down since I couldn't access any physical files at the office, I was able to resolve all but two of my hearings scheduled this past week before the Workers' Compensation Commission.

The Maryland Department of Health has cleared me to return to work on Monday, 1/11/21 (see attached). The Centers for Disease Control specifically recommends against employers requiring a negative test result before allowing employees to return to work per established guidelines. ("Employers should not require a sick employee to provide a negative COVID-19 test result or healthcare provider’s note to return to work. Employees with COVID-19 who have stayed home can stop home isolation and return to work when they have met one of the sets of criteria found here." https://www.cdc.gov/coronaviru...al-business-faq.html)

[The Chief of Staff] specifically advised me on 1/4/21 that I would need to provide a negative test before returning to work. No details have been provided concerning the parameters of the negative test being required by [the school system], and since the requirement is contrary to the recommendations of both the Maryland Department of Health as well as the CDC, there is no guidance to be found in State or Federal protocols. As an ancillary matter, [The CEO], also on 1/4/21, sent a system-wide email advising faculty and staff that [the school system] would begin following CDC guidelines concerning the closure and cleaning of [school system] facilities after notification that an employee had tested positive for Covid-19.

It seems as though the Maryland Department of Health and CDC are in the best position to establish recommended protocols and procedures for handling Covid-19 in the workplace. [The school system] has tacitly acknowledged the same by finally adopting said procedures and protocols for the closure and cleaning of its facilities.

Is there a rational basis for [he school system’s] policy running contrary to Federal and State guidelines - namely, requiring a negative test before allowing employees to return to work upon satisfaction of MD Department of Health and CDC requirements? If so, I would appreciate elaboration or explanation on the point. Although there may be no specific prohibition in Federal law concerning requirements above and beyond government guidelines for returning to work, such as production of a negative test result, I would be concerned with possible EEOC and ADA actions as the overall pandemic situation continues to evolve, particularly given CDC's acknowledgment of the likelihood of persistent positive test results for as long as 90 days following what has been determined to be a safe end to quarantine or isolation (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/duration-isolation.html).

My principal concern is that being retested without a medical reason to do so, should it result in a repeat/persistent positive result, may certainly complicate my return to the Workers' Compensation Commission and/or Maryland Courts. I can perform most of my work remotely, as has been amply demonstrated since the persistent lockdowns and closures began in March 2020, but as a trial attorney, I cannot fully perform my duties without going to court. Eventually, that will become problematic.

I'm happy to discuss this matter further, but I would respectfully request that [the school system] adjust it's post-Covid return to work policy to conform with CDC and Maryland Department of Health guidelines to avoid such complications. In the meantime, I will plan on obtaining a rapid test this weekend in anticipation of returning to work on Monday, but should the test results be positive, and assuming I remain asymptomatic, I would also request that I be allowed to return to the office while [the school system] considers bringing its policies in line with current government-recommended best practices.

Sincerely,
BurtonRW

We’ll see what happens.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where I work if you travel across state lines for business there's no quarantine required. If you travel for personal reasons (recreational) you're required to quarantine for 2 weeks. Seems arbitrary.

A coworker didn't feel well for a couple of days but came to work each day. Finally took a day off to get a Covid Test and returned to work while waiting on the results. Seems arbitrary.

It seems obvious the current approach doesn't work. It's been around long enough to analyze and identify what does work.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I'd stick with the twisted ankle reasoning.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Sunday night I received an email stating my test came out negative. I'm still under the weather but getting better. But given the choice I would rather stay home than go to school until I actually contract it from a student or fellow teacher.

Living the Dream

posted Hide Post
Don’t feed the trolls boys.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Please take this shit seriously. I've now had it twice. The first time it came close to killing me, and I may have permanent cardio pulmonary damage from it. The second time was less severe, but still significant. Notwithstanding a negative test, I still have some lung symptoms. I was at a meeting with 4 people when I got round 2. All 4 of us got it, all 4 had relatively severe symptoms, all 4 still have residual heart, lung, and exhaustion problems 4 weeks after testing positive.

I'm 55 and generally healthy, but for intermittent asthma, which puts me in a higher risk bracket.

Wear a mask, don't wear a mask, listen to the government, fight the power, I don't care. But if you are exposed, or have symptoms, get tested. This disease goes from no symptoms to major league sick in as little as 12 hours. Onset can be swift and serious.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12745 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Please take this shit seriously. I've now had it twice.

I'm 55 and generally healthy, but for intermittent asthma, which puts me in a higher risk bracket.

Sorry that you've had the Wu Flu 2x now. I do have a question regarding your mask wearing protocol and what other measures you took after the 1st incidence of it. Would there have been anything that anyone could have done beforehand that would have stopped any of you contracting it?

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Thanks Muted. I mask in public but mot in private / meetings / restaurants. Wearing a mask for me is tough as it simulates an asthma attack. I also suspect I was a bit cocky thinking I was immune having had it and went out to more business activities than was wise.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12745 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Yessiree, I can see not wanting to wear a mask because of the asthma. I'm not a mask wearer (40 with a few extra pounds and a bit of hypertension) so I don't think the risk is terribly high. I think the Wu Flu hits some a lot harder than others. We won't know how we react with it until we get it.

My cousin and his wife had it a few weeks back. She brought it home from work as a nurse in a COVID ward. Funny thing is she was always wearing 2 masks as well as the plastic shield that a lot of folks are wearing. According to the powers that be, she really shouldn't have gotten it. I have little faith in the ability of a fabric/paper filter or 2 to stop any of this. The numbers of cases are still climbing (at least according to the CDC) and mask wearing is at an all time high. If I go out, I am really the only one not wearing a mask. Hell, I even went to Green Top (local gun store) looking for ammo and the place was packed. EVERYONE except me was wearing a mask, yet I am sure at least one of the 400 or so people in there will test positive for da rona in the next week.

I guess I was just trying to figure out how this stuff spreads, especially with so many people wearing masks.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post